Training Camp Thread 2022

membengal

If Spain or Hopkins represent an improvement over Carman (which shouldnt be hard, given what he showed preseason game 1) and Volson then I see no reason to not bring one or the other back

Right now, OLG is a serious weak link

Spains play last year did get weaker as the season wore on, but by midseason I'd hope Volson would be ready to take over. 

Hopkins finished last year strong and would not only solidify us at OLG but would also provide us a much better backup option at OC than we currently have

just gonna disagree, Mem, and leave it at that

I know D'Ante has been dealing with a back problem the last few days but honestly I hadnt heard a peep about him all training camp. 

Anyone have any intel on D'Ante aside from his current back issue?

also, I thought he was going to compete for backup OLT but I am hearing its backup ORT instead.  Hes an OLT, so wtf?

Carman or Volson will be fine.   The entire line is better.   Carman by all TC reports has improved and had a rough outing against Arizona.  Volson showed promise.    I understand this is the last unsettled position on the offense so it gets attention but it is not the failure point its being made out to be.   

I would like to see more reps from the starting unit but on paper they got improvements across the board and you aren't trying to plug in an unproven guard next to a young LT with Bobby Hart and what ever bottom tier player at RG/RT.    Spain was a street FA before and after the Bengals playing next to Williams can't be overlooked.    Carman has not given up a sack in the NFL and playing next to RR was decent.  Also played in the AFC Champ game and it didn't fall apart.

It can easily be seen as fine tuning the LG spot vs. saving Joe Burrow from the Titanic. 

Lack of reps and depth are the two main concerns, because the tackle depth is suspect.  So if LC can't go then yes it would be nice to know more about LG.   

They better be ready because Pittsburgh will rush the passer and you end up with a 4 sack day and a loss all this blow back after Arizona will look like a cool breeze in comparison.  Then you got to go try to win in Dallas.

7 hours ago, membengal said:

He's on the rehab field. He's still their first choice at 4th T. 

Id rather see him and adeniji be the sole number 2 at one but not both spots

Let one get the majority of their of reps on the right, and the other get the majority of their reps on the left

I'd prefer DAnte on the left and Adeniji on the right

and Fred, m'man, please come home

As for LG - hear that podcast growling was instructive - Dehner said on Monday Volson with the 1s. Hill got first crack with 2s at LG and THEN Carman got second crack with 2s at LG…

1 hour ago, membengal said:

As for LG - hear that podcast growling was instructive - Dehner said on Monday Volson with the 1s. Hill got first crack with 2s at LG and THEN Carman got second crack with 2s at LG…

that seems about right given how he made 3rd string DLs look like pro bowlers

I can see the practice squad as a possibility, and wouldnt be shocked if he was released

but there are 3 more weeks to evaluate him, and I am sure they will take all of that time at the bare minimum to do so

7 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

Is it just you and me talking now, Mem?

we need a witty quip or two from COB or one of the Brits (Scots?)

well...also Amphar but you are not seeing his posts...

No - Rams are opponent for last pre-season game and are happy to fly out early for these. Practices are closed to public so it isn't a money angle. Obviously ZT and McVey are friends and approach practices similarly so I am guessing they think this will mesh well especially since McVey won't play his starters in actual pre-season games either.