Off-season workouts/OTAs up to training camp thread 2022

membengal

I agree Hoosier. They were never going to pay Jessie that kind of coin and protected themselves with the drafting of Hill. I simply don’t want to hear that shit about holding out into the season. If that’s his approach, to hell with him. It’s not for a lack of understanding of his point of view, I simply think him and his agent are misguided in thinking they were ever going to get that deal from the Bengals. 

My thought still stands. Trade him.

If they know he will hold out this year, trade him for something better than the comp 3 (ie an early round 4th round pick) pick they might/maybe otherwise get

If they think he will give in by the last day to earn a year of vesting, then keep him due to the superbowl window being here and now

so I think it comes down to whether the Bengals know with any certainty what his real plans are

sadly, this skewed the Bengals 2022 draft priorities in a bad way - we drafted safety for need, not bpa - so Jesse has already had a negative impact on this years team without even being here

Trade him. Move on.   If PFF didn’t exist there would be a bunch of people wondering why they tagged him.  

His elite status is tied directly to these grading services.  Sometimes they right and others they ain’t.  

IMO, he isn’t worth elite dollars. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2022 at 7:18 PM, TJJackson said:

If they know he will hold out this year, trade him for something better than the comp 3 (ie an early round 4th round pick) pick they might/maybe otherwise get

If they think he will give in by the last day to earn a year of vesting, then keep him due to the superbowl window being here and now

so I think it comes down to whether the Bengals know with any certainty what his real plans are

sadly, this skewed the Bengals 2022 draft priorities in a bad way - we drafted safety for need, not bpa - so Jesse has already had a negative impact on this years team without even being here

All that said, Hill might've been BPA regardless.   I have to question if demand for him on the trade market is nearly high enough to warrant the effort behind what that would take.    

Maybe he skips camp/preseason and comes back on a one year deal, who knows,  but have to imagine at this point, they're a noticeably better defense with him, than without him.

• Like 1

What does a hold out do at this point?   They can not reach a long term deal by rule, correct?     

If you are Jessie Bates do you want your "BIG" deal to come late July/August or on the open market in March?    The cap is set to  grow (some say explode) by the time next Unrestricted FA period comes about. 

To me you are going to squeeze out more money hitting that open market in March when teams will not have to give up anything for you. 

Other than to cut down on practice time (which isn't what it used to be) and avoid injury (I doubt Bengal key players will be seeing much of the field this preseason), what is the point of the hold out? 

Is forcing a trade going to get him max value? 

Hold out just screams agent posturing.  The leak of the gauranteed money is just an attempt to justify it. 

Well, at this point a trade is pretty much a pipe dream. It would have to be a sign-and-trade, and those are really rare and difficult to pull off. Maybe — maybe! — some team gets hit with a bunch of injuries in the secondary in camp/preseason and makes a crazy offer, but I doubt it very much.

Realistically Bates has two choices: play under the tag or sit out. My money is on the former.

• Like 1

In all honesty, I like Bates and always have despite my recent irritation.
The team is better off with him as a part of the defense as opposed to not.
I believe him to be one of the better (albeit somewhat inconsistent) safeties in the league.

HOWEVER, how dumb does he or his agent have to be to think they were getting the deal they are asking for from the Bengals when considering the team's roster?  So he wants to be paid more right?  Great, I respect and agree with his position.  He has to take advantage of his money making opportunity while he has it.    HOWEVER, I take issue with everyone on the team calling him a "leader" of the team, when he takes this approach.  

He should know damn well that the Bengals won't pay him what he wants and that they won't be tagging him again (even though they could) in 2023.  The near 13 million he earns playing on the tag nearly doubles for one season what he's made in his entire NFL career.  Is it that he's hoping to stay with a Super Bowl contender, who has superstars in the contract on deck circle, while simultaneously getting a market setting contract?  That's just silly.  Sitting out does nothing of great value to him except "maybe" keep him from getting hurt.

I don't blame him for wanting it all.  It's just not happening.
$50 says he plays 2023 for some sub .500 team that his addition to fails to take them to the playoffs.

In a sign and trade of Franchise player the  Bengals are entitled to 2 1st rounder, right?     They could move downward but it wouldn’t be much. 

By all accounts he gave up an extra $4mil this year.     I would think in order to smash that deal you’d want to get unrestricted FA over being traded. 

Don’t really see the point of the hold out.  Sitting out won’t beat the deal he turned down.   Sign and trade probably doesn’t either. 

Hitting March 2023 unrestricted probably does. 

I am around. No power after storms for four days last week. ready for things to start. 

Was hoping to come to the saturday back together dealie but now not sure I can get away. 

There is speculation the Bengals modeled the Marcus Williams deal for Bates and it was turned down because the big difference was no guarantee of 2022 and 2023 salaries.

That deal effectively was 3 years $44m.    Then the player could hope the team takes the final two years at $12m each.    5 years at $70m

I personally think Bates would get every dime in the 3 years and stand a better chance of getting years 4 and 5 without the language with the Bengals. 

• Like 1

Again, this is a lack of understanding on the part of Bates and his agent in my opinion.
If the Williams deal, or something similar, was offered to Bates by the Bengals, the chances of him seeing all of that money are better than average.  Why? Because that's how the Bengals operate.  They are loyal almost to a fault and damn near always have been.

So instead of settling this thing and remaining with a contending team where you are respected by the players in the locker room and the majority (kind of) of the fans, he's willing to leave in order to chase something more secure that he will likely only get from a team that won't be contending.

And again, while understanding the business side of things and his perspective, I disagree with their approach and laugh at their apparent lack of understanding in how this front office works.  His agent wanting to get him a Deshaun Watson fully guaranteed contract at the top of the market from the Bengals is laughable.

Have fun playing for the Giants next year Jessie.  (Yes that is a bad scenario guess)
Maybe that guaranteed contract will keep you company when watching the playoffs from home.

Whatever the details, we know the Bengals’ offer is fair in regards to total money. If it wasn’t his agent would be whispering that to the press as well. So yeah, it’s all about guaranteed coin (and we all knew it would be) and the Bengals aren’t budging on that.

Scratching my head a bit at the low Madden ranking for Chase, and the back-and-forth on the Twitters about how good he really is.  Isn't he like 17th on Madden?

Any ways I don't really care, just don't understand what other people are "not" seeing in him, in some cases - he will likely be the #1 WR in the league within 2 years, maybe an MVP type if his first half production matches anything near the 2nd half he had last season at some point, when he really came on.  I am still not sure I've seen anything like him before.   He is as fun to watch as any WR I've ever seen in my life.  

6 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

In other, more important, business, when did the hot chicks start showing up for the squad?

https://www.bengals.com/photos/ben-gals-cheerleaders-practice-paul-brown-stadium

They're all "fitness chicks" now it seems - heavier dancing requirements these days? (I rarely go to NFL games anymore)