Off-season workouts/OTAs up to training camp thread 2022

membengal

It’s hard to argue Burrow’s 108 rating.   The offense in general needs to convert better in red zone and first downs. 

Yardage and slight edge in points favors Herbert. 

Burrow was MVP level 2nd half of the season.   I wouldn’t have put Herbert above him last year. 

Herbert was a better Fantasy QB and that’s probably were the argument comes from. 

Herbert has favor for many in terms of what they can see (lantern-jawed 6'5" huge-armed gunslinger) and what they perceive to be "advanced" statistics -- ESPN's total QBR and individual EPA. I think there are severe problems with both of those statistics, and the physical specimen is just Carson Palmer.

Anyway, who cares. We know what we have.

• Like 1

Akili Smith would be proud! 

Personally the white alternate or now away uni and white pants with the Orange helmet is my favorite combo.

My guess is they will go all White in the opener vs. Steelers since they typically wear White at home with the September heat.

I like the all white look with the new helmets.  
I heard some think they may have gone with the old "Bengals" helmet, which I always thought sucked.
What I think would be cool if they went the route of using the old helmets, is to modernize them by going with the chrome orange and a more stylized "Bengals" on the helmet.

It's just a uniform change.  Doesn't impact much.

Supposedly Bengals offered $4m more this year, but with that being the only guarantee over the length of the deal.  $16.9m.     

Really incomplete details to make a judgment either way but with details going public that just hints at the mindset of the player.   

I’d start the trade talks.   

Trade would free up cap room to pursue more extensions and it looks like Jessie may threaten not to play.     

you're not being an ass on the fuck that guy standpoint (on the wishing an injury yup) if bates has no intention of playing under the tag then it costs him money, hopefully the players understand its a business and we simply cannot afford to give everyone a massive contract.  Bates clearly is selfish and greedy 12+ million for one fucking season how much money do you fucking  need to live and keep your family comfy for one year if you ball out you will get paid, just not by the Bengals.  taking a hissy fit and refusing to play certainly wont endear you to any future employers.

Again I’ve long accepted the fact that I’m an ass. Thing is, I no longer care. Yes, fuck that guy. He must forget not only the importance of the guys he hangs with when considering what positions they play, but additionally how much it’s going to cost the Bengals to keep those guys that are simply more important to the success of the team going forward.

Want to know why those other teams can afford to pay safeties all that money ?? Because they either suck or don’t have the type of talent on their teams to command top of the market contracts.

Again, look how much QB Rodgers cost Green Bay and how much WR Adams cost the Raiders. Now, how much do you think it’s going to cost the Bengals to keep Burrow and Chase, which you know DAMN WELL, they are going to do ??

You are a safety Bates and the Bengals just drafted one in the first round. Don’t like that? Go eat a fat dick.

Trade him Bengals !!

• Like 1

I think he will sit out.  That agent is the guy who got Watson that insane contract.  He seems to do a lot of this - pitting guys against their teams in an attempt to get them paid or get them out.  We know he’s not getting paid here.  So I think that agent will hold him out, then shop Bates himself.  Once we’re partway through the season and the Bengals see that he’s not signing the tag, the only logical move is to get something for him.  

Talk about pissing in his Wheaties, let him hold out into the season and then just tag him again next year. That would still be cheaper than paying him what he wants in a contract. It’s not like that’s not an option when considering a trade.

Plus it would make me laugh.

• Like 1

Again though, I’m pretty sure a second tag will be less than his current asking price of around 17 million per. The Bengals really could dig in their heels if they so desired. I simply don’t believe that to be in their best interest. Just trade him for picks and move on.

So I took a look regarding a second tag.

It looks like it would cost the Bengals about 15.5 million to tag Bates a second time. They have zero reason to give into his demands of getting a top 5 safety contract. 

While not thinking it’s the best approach, they could simply hold his feet to the fire. Don’t want to report? Cool here comes the 2023 tag. That’s two years of him waiting for a deal and taking all the risk or him sitting out and losing value on the market.

Either way, fuck him.

Just trade him already.

Yeah, in all seriousness there’s zero chance they tag him again next year. That’s why they drafted Hill (and Anderson). Get one more year out of Jesse, get the rookies some reps, and then move on in 2023. You could see it coming from a mile away, which is probably why it upsets me so little. I priced losing Bates in a long time ago.

As to Jesse, I understand his POV. It’s a hard game, injuries happen, you never know when a deal is your last deal. Still, he’d be looking at total lifetime earnings around $18 million if the tag was his final contract. Even if you lop off half for taxes you could stick the rest in the bank and live quite well off the interest alone. So I can’t cry too many tears for him, y’know?

• Like 1