Off-season workouts/OTAs up to training camp thread 2022

membengal

Ben Baby
@Ben_Baby
·
39m
Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan said free agents Ted Karras and Alex Cappa have been working out in town. Said new right tackle La'el Collins will also be in town soon. 

Offseason workouts start on Monday.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

follow this link for a good read but also for the five minutes of video of petraglia took of today's OTAs

https://www.clnsmedia.com/bengals-second-year-lineman-committed-to-showing-hes-got-what-it-takes-to-compete-for-and-win-left-guard-job/

On Dan Hoard's latest pod - he interviewed Ossai. Ossai said his knee is 100%, that it is a small wrist thing that has him on rehab field and he will be good to go for camp.

• Like 1

No matter how many times I watch someone break down or discuss the 70 sack season Burrow had, they seem to forget one big thing.
Whether the sack is a "good" or "bad" sack, which I think is a shit term, HE GETS HIT.
He was talking about RDS, EPA, and other stats and I was watching players twist Burrow up when getting tackled.
One fall the wrong way and poof, no Super Bowl appearance.  I guess you could say that about any game, but here's my thing...
Reduce the amount of times that happens and you automatically increase your odds of him not getting dinged.

It has nothing to do with Burrow, me, or any other fan being right.  It comes down to how many hits does he take.
All that being said, I think they improve in this area greatly for 2022.

• Like 1

Sort of non-camp related but a decent breakdown on Hurst when he was still with the Ravens, before the Falcons traded for him.  (so Hurst ultimately comes back to the Bengals' for Sanu)

Seems like more of an athletic upgrade to Sample IMO, quick but not fast like Ozumah, but may be a better blocker than Ozumah, and a better red zone target at least.  I just don't see the big play ability Ozumah provided, in Hurst though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35ox07Zt8_g

I made this post after the Bengals signed Hurst and I think it gives a good look at what has been going on with Hurst.
There was only one season of his, 2020, where he wasn't playing with a truly elite TE, which happened to be his best year.

I mentioned it before but will go into more detail because I think it's important to consider.

His first two seasons in Baltimore were also Lamar Jackson's first two seasons in the league.  Anyone remember how poorly Jackson threw the football during that time ??  Dude was ALWAYS run first and throw later.  When he threw, not much good was happening.  Hell, his first year (2018) the Ravens went with both Flacco and Jackson getting playing time. Hurst got 23 targets compared to Andrews' 50 and only played in 12 games.

In 2019, Jackson was the primary QB, but RGIII got playing time as well.  That was the season where Jackson ran for 1200 yards.  Crazy.  On top of that Andrews' took a massive team leading 98 targets on the season, with Hurst getting 39.

2020 is his first season as the #1 TE in his move to the Falcons and gets a whooping 88 targets on the season, which he turned into 571 yards and 6 TD's.  CJ had 63 targets last year with 493 yards and 5 TD's for comparison sake.  35 of Hurst's 56 receptions that season went for 1st downs. CJ had 24 last year.

Fast forward to 2021 and the Falcons draft Kyle Pitts in the first round. GET THIS...  As a rookie, Pitts leads the Falcons with a staggering 110 targets.  Hurst got 31.  Oddly enough Hurst had 3 TD's to Pitts' 1 on the season.

Don't think Hurst can do that with Chase, Higgins, Boyd and Mixon you say ??
Well that 2020 season, he did it with Julio Jones, Calvin Ridley, Russell Gage and Todd Gurley competing for targets.

2 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Sort of non-camp related but a decent breakdown on Hurst when he was still with the Ravens, before the Falcons traded for him.  (so Hurst ultimately comes back to the Bengals' for Sanu)

Seems like more of an athletic upgrade to Sample IMO, quick but not fast like Ozumah, but may be a better blocker than Ozumah, and a better red zone target at least.  I just don't see the big play ability Ozumah provided, in Hurst though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35ox07Zt8_g

yo. he's WAY faster than Uzomah. Like, much much faster and more agile. 

Here was Hurst's scouting profile on nfl.com:

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/hayden-hurst/32004855-5249-5014-7c57-e10d2c41fe87

Strengths

Good combination of size and quickness
Moved all over field
Rabid and rowdy in his play
Quick release into routes
Athletic with above-average play speed for the position
Willing and capable pass catcher on all three levels
Has the feet and acceleration to burst open from breaks
Separates from garden-variety linebackers in coverage
Instant opener when sinking into zone holes
Hands are sticky and ball focus is elite
Had one drop against 100 career catches
Reliable inside the hash marks
Makes subtle moves to shield catch-point from linebackers
Secures through contact
Runs with power and balance after the catch
Will seek out collisions rather than running out of bounds
Has frame and grit to improve as in-line blocker
Capable move blocker able to adjust to targets

Weaknesses

Will be a 25-year-old rookie when next season starts
Appears to be giving route clues to defenders at times
Doesn't manipulate defender often enough from breaks and stems
Out-breaking routes have been getting jumped for two consecutive seasons
Had safeties run his routes on various occasions
Will need work as in-line blocker
Hands fly out wide into first contact
Can improve his play strength at point of attack if he gets his hand placement right
Ducks head into contact
Won't always look to improve positioning with quality footwork after contact

He's an upgrade on CJ as a pass-catching TE option. Period. There's a reason he went in the first round and CJ had to fight to be drafted after not getting a combine invite.  I love CJ and what he did here, but...we are a more threatening passing offense with Hurst at TE.