Round 1 (31): Daxton Hill, S, Michigan

HoosierCat

If I grade the pick on a “how thrilled am I about the ability of this player to propel the team meaningfully in 2022?” basis, I give it a B.

If I grade the pick on a “how good a choice was it given who was on the board at the time?” basis, I give it an A-. The only player I think I would have preferred without caveats is Ebiketie. Hill was BPA or close to it.

If I grade the pick on a “long-term, beyond 2022, how good and impactful do I think this player will be?” basis, I give it a straight A.

I prioritize the first grading philosophy a bit more heavily during a wide open Super Bowl window, so if I take everything together I end up around a B+.

And that’ll do.

18 minutes ago, Stripes said:

If I grade the pick on a “how thrilled am I about the ability of this player to propel the team meaningfully in 2022?” basis, I give it a B.

If I grade the pick on a “how good a choice was it given who was on the board at the time?” basis, I give it an A-. The only player I think I would have preferred without caveats is Ebiketie. Hill was BPA or close to it.

If I grade the pick on a “long-term, beyond 2022, how good and impactful do I think this player will be?” basis, I give it a straight A.

I prioritize the first grading philosophy a bit more heavily during a wide open Super Bowl window, so if I take everything together I end up around a B+.

And that’ll do.

Agreed

• Like 1

It is kinda sad, tho, that much of the value of this pick is on the fact that we're probably loosing either Bell or Bates or both after this year

as such, it feels (for now) more like maintenance or insurance than an upgrade

however, given the circumstances, it remains a great pick; and I do still feel that the draft is (or should be) for the most part about years later, not this year.....the Jamaar Chase's of this word are few and far between

Typically Super Bowl level teams have more than their fair share of talent.
That being said, you can't pay everyone and good players will leave your team.
The front office will need to make those tough decisions and we saw them covering themselves with the pick last night.

While I'm sure they wanted to hold on to Bates, having being the team that drafted him.
However, they no longer have to cave in to paying him 18 million + dollars a year.

This is a nice problem to have and more decisions are sure to come.
Hopefully they continue o get more of those decision correct than incorrect !!

Danny Kelly - The Ringer:

CINCINNATI BENGALS
A+
I absolutely love this pick for the Bengals, who nab my 14th-ranked player at 31st overall. Hill is an explosive and versatile defensive back with the skill set to play all across the defense. Paired with Jessie Bates III, Hill gives the Bengals a dynamic duo at safety and immediately ups Cincy’s speed on defense.

I was just reading, that Hill took 580 of his 893 snaps in the slot corner position in 2021, but is still considered a safety.
So very versatile in the defensive backfield. Along with that, it's the first safety the Bengals have taken in the first round since Ricky Dixon in 1988.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I was just reading, that Hill took 580 of his 893 snaps in the slot corner position in 2021, but is still considered a safety.
So very versatile in the defensive backfield. Along with that, it's the first safety the Bengals have taken in the first round since Ricky Dixon in 1988.

Ricky Dixon that’s a blast from the past 

Pickens and the Steelers fans should really focus on him being a less talented head case than Antonio Brown. 

I’d also be more concerned if at any time during his college career, as the “premier” WR, he had a 1000 yard season. You know ?? Any one of those 3 seasons ?? 

If that one play, which didn’t even involve Pickens is all they have to hang their hat on, they have more problems on their hands. Hey Steelers fans… we can’t wait to see the YouTube video of all of Pickens TD receptions from his last season in Georgia. Enjoy that shove though…

For what it’s worth, see nothing, it was a nice stick by Pickens.

I guess the interesting part is Hill was clearly in 1v.1 as a Corner.    However,  with his size I wonder how effective he'll be vs.  NFL TEs in the slot?   If that will be his role or if he could add strength/weight to get above 200?

• 2 weeks later...