Round 1 (31): Daxton Hill, S, Michigan

HoosierCat

Sheil Kapedia- The Athletic

31. Cincinnati Bengals: Dax Hill, S, Michigan

The word versatility gets thrown around too much this time of year, but it applies to Hill (6 feet, 191). In 33 games for Michigan, he played both as a slot corner and a split-field safety. Hill had excellent ball production last year with 11 passes defended and two interceptions in 14 starts. He ran a 4.38 at the combine.

Hill checks so many boxes. He’s rangy, explosive, competitive, versatile and durable. This feels like a “best player available” pick for the Bengals. I love Hill’s fit in Cincinnati. He should contribute immediately and has the upside to be a cornerstone of that defense for years to come.

Grade: A

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Yep.  They also lost an offensive weapon.  Their draft is questionable, IMO. 

Daxton Hill was the better player over Hamilton out of high school and it probably plays out that way in the pros. 

Linderbaum wasn’t top 15 either.  Wildly overrated in Bengal nation.  Still good prospect. 

Except we didn’t draft them coming out of high school and at no point was Daxton Hill ever considered a top 10 prospect, let alone the top overall prospect.

Linderbaum may have been overrated by Bengals fans, but they weren’t the ones doing the rating of players. Look at almost any write up about Linderbaum. 

Im not saying I don’t like or want Hill because TJ and I were just talking about how much we like the kid the other day. However, I won’t pretend since he’s now in stripes, that he’s the better player.

6 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Except we didn’t draft them coming out of high school and at no point was Daxton Hill ever considered a top 10 prospect, let alone the top overall prospect.

Linderbaum may have been overrated by Bengals fans, but they weren’t the ones doing the rating of players. Look at almost any write up about Linderbaum. 

Im not saying I don’t like or want Hill because TJ and I were just talking about how much we like the kid the other day. However, I won’t pretend since he’s now in stripes, that he’s the better player.

Never said he was a top 10 prospect.   It’s rare that a Safety becomes a franchise level position.  Hill is just as good and probably better than Hamilton, IMO.  

Even if its even or Hamiliton is better it won't be by much; glad we got ours at 31 vs 14.   

Linderbaum was rumored to be falling to 2nd round.  That happens a lot to good centers.   Baltimore got him in the 20s.  Another non franchise position and gave up an offense weapon.   

Given they traded back again, it can be assumed their initial target was taken. 

I think they bumbled their draft.   The Ravens could have easily secured a better WR and weapon for Jackson with Burks at 14 (or edge rusher or tackle.)  then got an equal probably better S in the 20s with Hill.     Instead they gave up a 1,000 wr to draft a complete opposite Center than they had previous 2.    Linderbaum fine prospect,  I don't think he is generational like describe on various Bengal fan message boards.   Even if he is, its still Center.  

I probably give the pick B+.   The Bengals are basically telling you with Bates that IF this guy becomes as good as Bates they aren't going  to pay him top of market money.     They also let Reggie Nelson (former 1st rounder) after playing his best football with Zimmer to walk into UFA twice.  Reggie's market was never hot and he resigned once with the Bengals and the next venture into UFA he settled for a small deal in Oakland.    Its hard for Safety to become a franchise changing position in today's NFL  like it was with Ed Reed, Fulcher, Lott, Troy, etc.

Maybe one day a guy will elevate the spot to another level and back to that stature. 

Hill will have opportunity to contribute this year.  I wonder about his return abilities if he has any.    I think DLine and CB depth were the bigger needs and Karlaftis going a pick before would have been an A from me.

I hear you AMPHAR, just not there.  Not like I'm rooting for the Ravens anyway.  Hope they suck !!
Personally, I thought for sure they were moving up to take Devin Lloyd to pair with Hamilton.  
Lloyd seemed like a typical Baltimore Raven LB.

Karlaftis would have been a nice problem to have to decide on, but was never that big on the DE spot at #31.
I really do like Hill and think he will get a lot of snaps this season.

We are seeing the overall talent in this draft class though when looking at who is still available.
Bring on round 2.

I'm still perplexed by the Lions and Vikings trade for the 12th pick.  I mean, is that all the Vikings got from a team moving up 20 places in the 1st round ??
Help me out if I read this wrong, because I went to bed thinking there was a mistake in them explaining the trade, but it does not appear that way.

The Vikings, who held the 12 pick traded with the Lions, who held the 32nd pick.  Again, 20 spots.  No players involved.
What basically happened was the Vikings swapped #12 for #32.
Then the Vikings get #34, a top of the second round pick.
THEN, the Vikings dropped from #46 a second round pick to #66 a third round pick.

The Lions moved up 20 spots from the bottom of the first and 20 more spots from the third to the second and all it cost was #34 a second rounder ??
Seems like the Vikings got taken advantage of in that exchange.

drop off in talent has probably already occurred.    Trade up should only be considered based on individual player.     Probably since the picks in the 20s we are probably in a swath of players that could grade anywhere from 20-70.   Just depends on what flavor a team prefers.

1 minute ago, ArmyBengal said:

I'm still perplexed by the Lions and Vikings trade for the 12th pick.  I mean, is that all the Vikings got from a team moving up 20 places in the 1st round ??
Help me out if I read this wrong, because I went to bed thinking there was a mistake in them explaining the trade, but it does not appear that way.

The Vikings, who held the 12 pick traded with the Lions, who held the 32nd pick.  Again, 20 spots.  No players involved.
What basically happened was the Vikings swapped #12 for #32.
Then the Vikings get #34, a top of the second round pick.
THEN, they dropped from #46 a second round pick to #66 a third round pick.

The Lions moved up 20 spots from the bottom of the first and 20 more spots from the third to the second and all it cost was #34 a second rounder ??
Seems like the Vikings got taken advantage of in that exchange.

They swapped second rounders with Det and got the 66th pick...seems ridiculous to drop 20 slots in the first for a better 2nd round selection and a third but it is what it is.  I can tell you the move is not very popular here in the Twin Cities.  It also frustrates me because it set the market, we could have gotten up in the low 20's for a 4th Rd pick in this draft and gotten McDuffie, Wyatt, Karloftis, Linderbaum, any of the guys we just missed out on by playing the draft conservatively.  There are drafts where that is a good move, this is not one of them.

4 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

drop off in talent has probably already occurred.    Trade up should only be considered based on individual player.     Probably since the picks in the 20s we are probably in a swath of players that could grade anywhere from 20-70.   Just depends on what flavor a team prefers.

Guys like Booth, Hall,  Tyler Smith, and Gordon are still there be certainly won't be by the time we select.

9 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

For TJ, before he asks:

Hill was Michigan’s sixth-ranked defensive starter last season, per Pro Football Focus. He was good across the board, posting a defensive grade of 77.6 (76.8 in run defense, 74.7 in tackling, 77.8 as a pass rusher and 73.8 in coverage).

I know, shocker here:  I love the pick

*GASP    TJ actually loves a first round pick.  that NEVER EVER EVER NEVER EVER happens*

Great value.....arguably a top15 pick in terms of ability

Like Mem says, we use 3 safeties quite a bit.....so he will get a lot of snaps as a backup immediately

Also (sadly) a position of need due to Bates pretty much saying he wants out without actually saying "I want out".  Or at least thats my guess.  Love Bates, but he (every player) needs to understand that to have a great team we have to be able to pay multiple great players, not just one.  ah well. 

and.....a defensive back with speed - thank you, football gods!

speed, productivity, football IQ, intangibles......GIMME

Would I have rather had a 3TDT?  Yes

Would I have rather had a speedy outside corner?  Also yes

But this is still a great, great pick

But no, I didnt stay up to watch.  too damn late.

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1504882828424613888

• Like 2

ya dumb bastid :-)

With the Carman thing.....btw could the timing of that article have been weirder?.......I now really really really REALLY want a OL in r2. 

Only now I need an IOL instead of an ORT.  ORT sadly has to wait

Jurgens maybe, but he too is a little light in the britches

Maybe this will up the ante to resign Mr Undrafted, ie Spain, especially since the now-endangered OLG spot is Spain's natural spot

10 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

With the Carman thing.....btw could the timing of that article have been weirder?.......I now really really really REALLY want a OL in r2. 

Only now I need an IOL instead of an ORT.  ORT sadly has to wait

Maybe this will up the ante to resign Mr Undrafted, ie Spain, especially since the now-endangered OLG spot is Spain's natural spot

Another option for those that really wanted Linderbaum, would be to stay the course of taking a Center and moving Karras back to LG.
Cam Jurgens could make it to the Bengals 2nd round pick, but can't say as that would fill me with great confidence either and I like Jurgens.

44 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

I know, shocker here:  I love the pick

*GASP    TJ actually loves a first round pick.  that NEVER EVER EVER NEVER EVER happens*

Great value.....arguably a top15 pick in terms of ability

Like Mem says, we use 3 safeties quite a bit.....so he will get a lot of snaps as a backup immediately

Also (sadly) a position of need due to Bates pretty much saying he wants out without actually saying "I want out".  Or at least thats my guess.  Love Bates, but he (every player) needs to understand that to have a great team we have to be able to pay multiple great players, not just one.  ah well. 

and.....a defensive back with speed - thank you, football gods!

speed, productivity, football IQ, intangibles......GIMME

Would I have rather had a 3TDT?  Yes

Would I have rather had a speedy outside corner?  Also yes

But this is still a great, great pick

But no, I didnt stay up to watch.  too damn late.

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1504882828424613888

WOW.

No sarcasm, love seeing this from you.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Another option for those that really wanted Linderbaum, would be to stay the course of taking a Center and moving Karras back to LG.
Cam Jurgens could make it to the Bengals 2nd round pick, but can't say as that would fill me with great confidence either and I like Jurgens.

They could re-sign Hopkins

Im not kidding

His play at the end of the year was more indicative of his true ability, and his PFFs were in the high 60s low 70s for those games

It may be too knee-jerky to just assume Carman wont be around and get to the business of replacing him, but I'd rather have insurance right away

I really dont want to see Adeniji as the starting OLG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TJJackson said:

I really don't want to see Adeniji as the starting OLG

Do I want to see that happen ??  Won't say as I would be advocate for that.

However, much like Carman, Adeniji played on the left side 99% of his college career.
In his senior season, he also had 6 starts at the LG spot.

With that being the case, maybe he would fare better on that side of the line.
So WORST case scenario might see that being a batter option.