Round 1 (31): Daxton Hill, S, Michigan

HoosierCat

Dane Brugler:

20. Daxton Hill, CB/S, Michigan (6-0, 191)

Hill plays with the athletic twitch and transitional quickness to interchangeably play slot-man, deep safety or in the box and can just as easily lay licks in the run game as he can cover the slot fade. He displays the competitive temperament and awareness to smother in zone or man, although he can do a better job exploding through his target as a tackler or blitzer. Overall, Hill might not have elite size or length, but his versatile package of skills (athletic range, toughness, football IQ) make him the ideal nickel defender in today’s NFL. He should be a rookie starter as either a split safety or slot defender.

5 minutes ago, Stripes said:

Kinda lukewarm on it now, but I’ll see how they use him. Emphasize three safety sets and make it count.

he's really fucking good. It's a really good pick. They didn't panic. He was consensus top 25. He was  really productive on top of everything else. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Much happier getting Hill at 31 vs what Ravens did.  

You’re happier taking Hill, then getting two players who were both the #1 players at their positions and widely considered top 15 players.

I hate the Ravens but I can’t even begin to climb out on that limb.

10 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Holy shit, I didn’t think there was really a chance of him being there. So fucking pumped up and keeps us from having to pay Bates a fuckload of cash.

Really happy with this pick.
WHODEY !!!

it's such good news. I don't think people realize how good of news it is.

COMBINE RESULTS
40-yard dash time
Bench press reps
N/A
Vertical jump
Broad jump
3-cone drill
20-yard shuttle
Arm length
32 1/4"
Hand size
9 1/2"

Chris Trepasso

31. #Bengals - Dax Hill, S/CB, Michigan: Smart selection for Cincinnati. Hill is incredibly versatile. Super athletic. Great size/length too. Closing speed and suddenness pop on film. Grade: A

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

You’re happier taking Hill, then getting two players who were both the #1 players at their positions and widely considered top 15 players.

I hate the Ravens but I can’t even begin to climb out on that limb.

Yep.  They also lost an offensive weapon.  Their draft is questionable, IMO. 

Daxton Hill was the better player over Hamilton out of high school and it probably plays out that way in the pros. 

Linderbaum wasn’t top 15 either.  Wildly overrated in Bengal nation.  Still good prospect. 

A solid B pick for me, I still would have liked them to get aggressive when some of the top guys started to slide.  Hill will be a very good player for us but for a minimal investment they could have had Devonte Wyatt, George Karloftis, or Tyler Linderbaum.  Seeing Linderbaum go to Baltimore hurts that is going to be a problem for us.

• Like 1

Mel:

"Great player. I was shocked he was still there. ... The No. 1 safety coming out of high school. Flies to the football. He will come in and be an immediate impact performer. A guy who can get after the quarterback. ... I don't know what the kid's lacking, guys. I thought he was one of the best 13, 14 players in this draft. Versatility - he's perfect for the way the game's played today in the National Football League. Daxton Hill, to me, one of the steals in the draft so far. Daxton Hill should've gone maybe 10-15 picks earlier," ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. said.

For TJ, before he asks:

Hill was Michigan’s sixth-ranked defensive starter last season, per Pro Football Focus. He was good across the board, posting a defensive grade of 77.6 (76.8 in run defense, 74.7 in tackling, 77.8 as a pass rusher and 73.8 in coverage).

Hill vs Hamilton.  I love when these player rivals hook up in the pros. 

Hill was 5 star, top player of his class. Impressive offer sheets.  Committed to Bama at one point. 

Hamilton was 4 star, ranked about 7th player in the same class as Hamilton. Good offer sheets.