Offseason Thoughts

cincyhokie

• 2 weeks later...

Man I’m sorry to see John Clayton go.  He was one of my favorite media guys.  Always had a ton of insight, and he kept it real, like real journalism.  As real as you can reasonably be in the nfl.  He wasn’t on hot take shows shouting at other hot takers.  He was working sources.  He produced the real content the hot take guys yell at each other about.  

• Like 1

I wanted to see what happens in college, happen in the NFL, but whatever.
I really don't care.

No instead of people bitching about how both teams didn't get a chance in the playoffs, it will be how since they didn't get a chance in the regular season it cost them a chance to make it to the playoffs.  God forbid they just resolve the thing across the board.  

"Never half-ass two things... whole-ass one thing"
Ron Swanson

Kinda blah on the whole OT whine party from this past post season.  I could care less how they do it.   I think they should just do a extra 8 min qtr.  In the regular season its a tie if nothing resolved.  In post season sudden death like the old OT rules in the playoffs.

I think games take to long anyway so I wouldn't be against not having OT in regular season. 

1 minute ago, AMPHAR said:

Kinda blah on the whole OT whine party from this past post season.  I could care less how they do it.   I think they should just do a extra 8 min qtr.  In the regular season its a tie if nothing resolved.  In post season sudden death like the old OT rules in the playoffs.

I think games take to long anyway so I wouldn't be against not having OT in regular season. 

Yeah, I would not miss regular season OT either. Play four quarters and if it ends in a tie, then it's a tie.

My proposal for OT seems radical on the surface, but really I think it's the only way to have a sudden death that resembles anything truly "fair" at the philosophical level. All of the constant whining about OT is annoying sure, but it is justifiable from one blatantly evident point of view:

It's not fair to the team that begins on defense. "Well you should have just stopped them!" is an objectively terrible argument. It doesn't work.

What happens if the offensive team in a sudden death situation does its job and scores a TD? They win the game.

What happens if the defensive team in a sudden death situation does its job and prevents a TD? The game continues, and the other offense has to try to win.

There lies the imbalance. It makes no sense, and yet the solution available is one that rattles the purist to the core: the winner of the game should be the team that wins the opening OT possession (as in, OT should only last one possession regardless of the result). Offense scores? Offensive team wins. Defense prevents a score? Defensive team wins (yes, even with the score still tied).

It'll never happen, but I will continue to yell at clouds.

Kiss your franchise goodbye Danny boy.

https://frontofficesports.com/commanders-allegedly-held-back-visiting-nfl-teams-ticket-revenue/

The House Oversight Committee received information that alleges the Washington Commanders kept ticket revenue that is supposed to be shared with other NFL teams, sources told Front Office Sports.

According to NFL bylaws, all teams are required to pass along 40% of ticket sales from each home game — minus ticket handling charges and taxes — to the league, which then disperses the funds to visiting teams. At least one person gave information in recent weeks to Congressional investigators that alleges the Commanders didn’t pass along the full 40%, two sources with knowledge of the investigation told FOS.

It is not clear how long this alleged scheme ran for or who authorized it

On 4/2/2022 at 11:27 PM, ArmyBengal said:

Dude should have been gone.

This (hopefully) is just the nail.

Too many bad dudes running NFL teams...

Snyder is a con man and has been from the beginning.

Ross should be gone after the whole tanking scandal and has always been shady.

Kroenike married into the Wal-Mart fortune and held an entire city hostage just to win a better situation in LA.

Jerry Jones is a serial abuser.....

The NFL should hold owners as responsible as players for conduct.

• Like 1