Offseason Thoughts

cincyhokie

16 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

“How much is enough” can apply to anybody and everybody depending on your world view.
However, we are talking about Bates in this specific instance.

Again, the owners are different because they, you know, own the team.
I could care less about the family as they aren’t subject to the salary cap which is what we are talking about.

If someone would like to have a conversation about how much owners make, if it’s fair or how to reduce tax liability, then have at it.

So let me clearly define. When ANYONE has made 20 million in 5 years and then bitches about another 3, I personally feel that’s fucking ridiculous. Let me expand, what if he were to take a 4 year deal, paying him 48 million ?? Couple that with the nearly 8 million he’s already made, that’s 56 million. Still need to worry about how you are going to take care of your family ??

If the answer to that last question is yes, you are a fucking idiot that clearly knows nothing about good decisions, investments, or good money management. Funny, my 15 year old knows about all of those things…

I don't think he's being ungrateful.   He's pulling the only string he can pull to try to get his market value without taking the injury risk. 

The Bengals were going Secondary and Dline in the top 100 of this draft regardless, IMO.      There was enough prospects and needs in those two groups you can rest assured Hill was BPA.    It would have been interesting if Linderbaum or Karliftis would have found themselves available along with Hill.

My guess it would have been the defensive players absolutely.   Probably Hill because they felt the pressure to trade up twice to grab 2 secondary players after securing Hill.

I don't see him as ungrateful either.  I certainly wasn't alluding to that being the case.

This discussion has all stemmed from the fact that I hate when players say they "Need to take care of family" when they can EASILY do that with what they've already made.  I don't dislike Bates personally, I think the team is better with him and want him in stripes.  However, I won't let that comment about family go without calling bullshit.  If that's the story he or any other player who stands to make 20 million, then my response is "Go fuck yourself".

Regarding the injury take, that goes both ways as well.  If he takes the one year deal and gets hurt, he may not position himself to make more future money.  However, the club takes the same risk, and some may argue more, if giving him (as some has suggested) a fully guaranteed contract.  So, he signs his deal and then gets hurt in camp, pre-season, or whatever week of the season.  The team has now lost that money on some player that's now broke dick.  I don't necessarily like that take either.

I'm sure people will feel differently again and that is fine.  I'm just giving my take.

3 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

The Bengals were going Secondary and Dline in the top 100 of this draft regardless, IMO.      There was enough prospects and needs in those two groups you can rest assured Hill was BPA.    It would have been interesting if Linderbaum or Karliftis would have found themselves available along with Hill.

My guess it would have been the defensive players absolutely.   Probably Hill because they felt the pressure to trade up twice to grab 2 secondary players after securing Hill.

As much as loved Linderbaum and not happy he's playing for the Ravens, I don't disagree with you on this take. 
It probably still would have been Hill, for all the reasons we are now discussing about Bates.  It was the smart pick.

Now I'm hoping all those with concerns about Linderbaum are 100% correct !!!

1 hour ago, Stripes said:

https://youtu.be/8N4-0OaFB-c

Surprised to see Joe in a podcast like this. He was quite literally that bored though. Interesting listen.

watching the whole thing now -it's quite good. No idea why he said yes finally to them, but, fascinating.

I get his point and certainly won’t argue with his logic, but here’s my problem with sacks. Every time he gets sacked the odds of an injury occurring increase. He got sacked 70 fucking times. When the average is half that, I don’t like those odds.

I don’t think there is any fan that will say, “Who cares about a 3rd down sack” when his knee gets imploded.

Extending plays, coverage sacks and other things that contribute all all good, but the o-line was flat out bad. If they weren’t worried about sacks we wouldn’t be looking at 4 new starters.

Maybe he's just trying to be diplomatic for the lineman who got him to the SB and are no longer here, which is entirely possible.   From what I recall, all of the sacks were of the "bad" variety last year.  Final play of the SB could've been a TD and possibly the best SB ending of all-time, but nooooo o-line clown show ruined it!

Any time Burrow gets hit by the defense, that's a problem.
Yes, I know it's football and it's going to happen, but 70 sacks is fucking unacceptable no matter the variation they are categorized as.
I would guess if the team wasn't concerned, we wouldn't have seen three new FA o-linemen added to the team and inserted as starters from day one.
Teams don't shell out 73 million on those contracts if they aren't concerned about those hits.

Dude, I'm so excited to watch that group play this season !!!

same, Army

a superbowl win is not out of the question

pretty exciting stuff

I hope we pick up a better than average 3TDT and better than average outside CB and a better than average PR/KR before the season starts as I think that will vastly improve our chances.  Trading 2023 picks should be on the table to get these pieces as they become available

That's certainly an arguable point, that either side represents valid points.
You could trade picks now to get pieces due to wanting to win now.
Then again, knowing you have huge contracts coming, they are going to need those picks to get value from the rookie deals.
I think there are going to be many more tough decisions coming for the Bengals front office.

Color me pumped the f*ck up over being in a position to have THESE kinds of problems !!!

70 sack number includes post season.   So there is an acceptability factor there.   Give me the extra 15 post season sacks all day and every day for an AFC Championship.

It is not always a problem getting hit by a defense.  The mush rush is used for a reason.  Keep the QB in the pocket.   Clearly Burrow looks for the deep ball or play extension.   He will get hit/sacked at a higher rate doing this but he is very good at doing that.    QBs also bate defenders to hit them to draw penalties. 

Of course you also are not signing 3 FA linemen if Sacks are not a problem. 

I saw an interesting take about how to try to figure out what an acceptable sack rate would be.
Now keep in mind this is just straight numbers of how many times your QB got sacked, which of course includes him getting hit.

In looking at last year during the regular season alone:
Burrow got sacked 51 times, which equated to a 10% sack rate.
The average sack rate for the QB's that took the majority of snaps for their team during last season was 6%.

In looking at the post season, I only looked at the 4 QB's to throw the most passes (Burrow, Stafford, Mahomes, Brady):
Burrow's sack rate was worse than the regular season, jumping to 13%.  He took 19 sacks, while the next highest of those same QB's was 9.
The average sack rate of the 3 other QB's was 6%.

Not trying to be funny by any stretch, but there's nothing acceptable about damn near doubling the sack rate average of all other QB's.

On 5/18/2022 at 6:10 PM, membengal said:

This...on why sacks are overblown, is so interesting to listen to:

https://twitter.com/PFF_AndrewR/status/1526347584570261505?s=20&t=OsRViu7bBrB-KJlUSb8Dyg

I am not sure if I am more annoyed or concerned - not at you, mem, but at New Guy

The actual yardage effects of a sack, yes, he gets that, I get that, etc etc. 

But that misses the point though, entirely

The point, and my focus -- is the wear and tear on New Guys body. 

Injuries.  

He ignores this most important aspect completely in his comment despite having had to go through the pain and the rehab himself

Maybe thats just Joe Swag trying to be Joe Swag in an visual interview, but it remains irritating since there is imo nothing more important in terms of this teams success than New Guys health - and in turn, reducing hits on New Guy

I have had to watch that again and see articles pop up about what he said, and I can't help but have the take away of this is Joe mind fucking teams.
Yeah, who cares about sacks?  I don't care about getting hit.  I'm still going to get up and beat your ass.
The more I listen to Burrow talk, I can't help but listen for a message behind his words.

Dude is a killer.