Offseason Thoughts

cincyhokie

7 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I think they have one more signing to make...at the end of this either Ogunjobi is back with Cincy or Atkins come off his couch....

Would love to have either and they could make it work somehow but the Bengals probably aren’t Ogunjobi’s first choice anymore.   He’s got a couple guys to beat out for snaps and I’m sure he’s going to do everything he can to recoup as much of that big deal he lost. 

18 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

The draft wasn’t that bad… no.

However, I don’t think it was that good either.

Not upset or angry, just not how I wanted it to shake out. Pretty sure I will be rooting for wins come September !!!

I think it was a good draft. My saying Volson may now be my second favorite pick doesn't mean I think it was a bad draft. 

• Like 1

Volson maybe awesome as a rookie and I hope that he is,  but there are countless former 3/4/5 star lineman that played power 5 football conferences come into the NFL and flat out suck.    See Micheal Jordon ( who is a starter). Billy Price (starter). 

It is very unlikely (not impossible) he makes an impact in 2022. Maybe 2023 if that’s your 2nd favorite draft pick this draft wasn’t that good. 

It is also questionable taking this guy with UK lineman Kinnard on the board.  Many SEC writers feel UK has had the best O lines in the SEC and their talent/development has improved greatly.  

Further Randunz out North Dakota last year struggled with Titans and he was supposed better than this guy. 

2nd favorite draft pick?  Might be the most questionable, IMO. 

I’m actually trying to be optimistic.

Love the Daxton Hill pick.
Hated the Taylor pick but warming.
Zach Carter ?? Hate
Volston ?? Hate
Anderson ?? Hate
Gunter ?? Hate more

I’m not arguing others opinions, only giving mine. Love the draft all you like. I just don’t like how it shook out especially when considering they moved UP twice.

Again, I will be rooting for all these kids and hope they prove me wrong. Until then I’ll go ahead and give a pointless right after the draft grade of D+.

Hoping they produce like they are all A’s though !!
Congrats to all of them and WHODEY !!!

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I’m actually trying to be optimistic.

Love the Daxton Hill pick.
Hated the Taylor pick but warming.
Zach Carter ?? Hate
Volston ?? Hate
Anderson ?? Hate
Gunter ?? Hate more

I’m not arguing others opinions, only giving mine. Love the draft all you like. I just don’t like how it shook out especially when considering they moved UP twice.

Again, I will be rooting for all these kids and hope they prove me wrong. Until then I’ll go ahead and give a pointless right after the draft grade of D+.

Hoping they produce like they are all A’s though !!
Congrats to all of them and WHODEY !!!

the Hill pick raises it from a F to a D-

The Bengals had a draft plan and they executed it. They went with speed, athleticism, and versatility on defense. 

There’s something very important to remember about fits. Scheme fits but also personality fits. They take serious consideration into the type of mentality a player has. Look into why they got Taylor-Britt and you’ll see why.

Jesus I simply said I didn’t like it.
Also hope that I’m wrong and shortsighted.

However, arguing how awesome it was us just as silly. Neither can be proven at this point. Yes the Bengals did what they did and worked their plan.  Would it be better if I said I didn’t like their plan, or are you guys just in desperate need of people agreeing with you?

I didn’t call anyone a dumbass for their opinion and encourage people to think what they like. Maybe my initial thoughts are wrong. I’m rooting to be WRONG because if I’m not it means we fucked up.

If I’m right, which I don’t care about, is anyone bookmarking to say my thoughts were right in a few years ??

Fine, it was the bestest gosh darn draft the Bengals ever had and these guys are all going to be stars… Better ?? Sleep well…

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Jesus I simply said I didn’t like it.
Also hope that I’m wrong and shortsighted.

same

humans are allowed to disagree, Army......its fine

I know some see this as an A+ draft, but that doesnt make me re-think my D minus grade.  Like, at all

If some wish to ignore what they failed to do in this draft, and poor decisions they did make, thats their call

The way I see is it that for the most part, most fans come around to liking the picks. I hated the Taylor-Britt pick at first but I can see enough in why they picked him to feel better about it. I simply can’t see it in the rest of them. If someone else can or simply wants to see it, great. I don’t…

Again, that doesn’t mean I hope they fail or that the team takes a step back, the draft just didn’t work out that great in my opinion.

I will be at the preseason games to watch these kids get their playing time and rooting just the same.

If I gave the impression that I am mad about people disliking picks, the Christmas Story post was a joke. That scene is all about wishful thinking.

I actually cannot fathom caring about someone else’s opinion of draft picks.

They did well.  Bates is clearly gone after this year unless we decide to tag him again - very unlikely.  Apple is old and though he played ok last year, his performance the previous couple seasons was discouraging.  The fact that they even signed him and planned significant minutes for him is a good indicator of how badly we need DBs.  

I’m not criticizing the FO on this because keeping all the position groups up to snuff all the time is impossible.  But we were absolutely in a hole when it came to DBs.  Same as OL.  They free agented the OL, now they’re drafting their way out of the DB hole.  

And it’s smart.  DBs can get up to speed and be at least competent quicker than O linemen.  

I think the FO addressed these two positions of need correctly, and I’m very happy with the first two picks.  Later rounds they got character guys who have played a lot of football.  So smart, and so different from dumb ass Marvin.  

I give this draft an A-.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, COB said:

They did well.  Bates is clearly gone after this year unless we decide to tag him again - very unlikely.  Apple is old and though he played ok last year, his performance the previous couple seasons was discouraging.  The fact that they even signed him and planned significant minutes for him is a good indicator of how badly we need DBs.  

I’m not criticizing the FO on this because keeping all the position groups up to snuff all the time is impossible.  But we were absolutely in a hole when it came to DBs.  Same as OL.  They free agented the OL, now they’re drafting their way out of the DB hole.  

And it’s smart.  DBs can get up to speed and be at least competent quicker than O linemen.  

I think the FO addressed these two positions of need correctly, and I’m very happy with the first two picks.  Later rounds they got character guys who have played a lot of football.  So smart, and so different from dumb ass Marvin.  

I give this draft an A-.

Btw...Apple is not old he just turned 26....

2 hours ago, Wraith said:

Btw...Apple is not old he just turned 26....

That’s amazing.

He’s played 7 NFL seasons already.  3 with the Giants, 2 with the Saints, 1 with both the Panthers and the Bengals.  

So this dude will be 26 and playing in his 8th NFL season this year.  Boggles my mind.

I really like both the first two picks; our secondary was the biggest hole on our team.  Hopefully one of these guys puts an end to that.

Third round and 4th round both seem like reaches, but our coaches see something in both players

I had been picking up Anderson and Gunter in the later rounds in mocks due to the Athleticism both have, great depth special team additions.

So, I don't have as many issues with this draft as some here do.

I'll say C+/B- range for me.

I use to think grading the draft was kind of pointless immediately upon it’s ending. Now I know it !! Grades for the draft are like competitive sports for youth these days. Everyone is a winner, they all tried real hard, and here’s your participation trophy.

Hard to find sites that hand out D’s and F’s these days. God forbid they tell someone they don’t think they did well. It might hurt their feelings.

Everyone gets an A !!!