Offseason Thoughts

cincyhokie

I'm just ready for camps to start at this point and see some of these guys play.

Enough time has passed for me to be pretty comfortable with the draft picks, but mostly because there's no other choice.

There were better than 5 players I would have preferred more than Zach Carter, but I will be rooting for him in the rotation.
I can't say I am a fan of the Volston pick either, but there wasn't much more on the board at that point except maybe Kinnard.

If that's all I have to complain about, I will call it good.  I'm left to wonder if there are any free agents left that could help.

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

There were better than 5 players I would have preferred more than Zach Carter, but I will be rooting for him in the rotation.

I can't say I am a fan of the Volston pick either

Carter - same.

Volston - this is a small school prospect from a run-first offense.  We are a pass-first offense.  He's also a ORT (who played a little ORG) being asked (it seems) to play OLG.  Kinda like Carman in reverse.  Im not confident that this guy even makes the PS.  Will be happy to be wrong, as always....hopefully I am wrong

I would have been somewhat less unhappy with this draft had they gotten a TE (preferably a 3 down guy), a PR/KR, and a P (tho I like Crisman), and one S rather than two of them

On 5/2/2022 at 9:53 AM, AMPHAR said:

All you are seeing is the superior natural skill players filtering to the top and then coaches switching to were they can be productive.

Do you think any Major League right fielder played right field in little league? Probably not.  Those kids are farmed out of little league into travel ball and there probably tons of parent fights over being right fielder etc. because they know college/major league coaches are going to pick the short stops first and then make them the right fielder.   The player that starts at right field probably finds their career ending early.

All you are seeing at the NFL level is they have to have Left and Right guards but are going for higher quality players that were filling other spots.   The guy that played right guard since pee wee probably isn't on the NFL radar.

It’s a good point.  My traveling team was loaded with first basemen and outfielders so I had to learn to catch and warmup pitchers as the younger player.  Would have never learned to catch if not. Imagine being told to warm up pitchers who throw as hard as any else their age without even a practice round.  Just get the gear on and go.   

• Like 1

On 5/3/2022 at 8:37 AM, TJJackson said:

6 is less than 7

but....It is even harder to address 6 needs with 7 picks when you double dip on one position *and* give up picks to trade up.  Not once, but twice.

But its done, it is spilt milk. 

shitty draft is in the books

I think the point is that with 7 picks , you aren’t going to get all 6 guys in the top 100 considering most of those 7 picks were after the 3rd round 

Off-season thought :

Other than Geno Atkins and Sam Hubbard, in the Lewis and Taylor eras, Have the Bengals drafted any above average pass rushers on the defensive line ?  (Injured players with potential not counting, meaning actually played significant snaps for multiple years … (X David pollack)

2 hours ago, GapControl said:

Off-season thought :

Other than Geno Atkins and Sam Hubbard, in the Lewis and Taylor eras, Have the Bengals drafted any above average pass rushers on the defensive line ?  (Injured players with potential not counting, meaning actually played significant snaps for multiple years … (X David pollack)

4 of the top 10 all time Bengal sackers were drafted under Marvin. 

Atkins, Dunlap, Geathers, MJ.

Hubbard, Peko and Lawson are in the top 20.  

So 7 of the franchise's top 20 sack leaders were added under Marvin.   

Marvin's fault was big game performance.   He was the most successful regular season coach and a lot of that success were Zimmer defenses that were among the franchise's best units.

Taylor is too early.     But Wyche and Gregg were shooting stars that burnt out quickly. 

• Like 2

In addition:

Carlos Dunlap is 4 away from the Century mark and is currently 69th all time.

Atkins is 24.5 away from the Century mark and is currently 134th all time. (I assume he is unofficially retired). 

Above rankings are from the unofficial list that includes retro active sack totals calculated for players that played before it was an official stat.

Non Lewis/Taylor drafted  Bengals to note are Justin Smith with 87 and Alfred Williams with 59.5

I am fine it he does. If his agent thinks this kind of thing moves the needle his agent will learn otherwise.  Bengals did the 100% right thing drafting Hill to get ready for this. I don't think they need to re-set the safety market to keep Bates.  And if they are gonna change their guaranteed salary approach, it will be with #9, not #30. 

I’d like to have Bates on the field and with an extension.  That’s a big blow and distraction to overcome if he sits. 

However, I’d hate to see a deal that inches towards 18m.  But then again it’s not my money and they could make up for it by losing Bell after the year. 

Of course a Bell extension wouldn’t be bad either.   I don’t think Jessie has much leverage. 

I was asking for a trade back before the draft and think that was the time to make that happen. Not sure what they would get in trade at this point…

I would like to have Bates back but don’t want the Bengals to be the team that resets the safety market on a stupid deal that hinders other players I’d rather keep.

Has Bates’ agent never dealt with the Bengals when making threats ?? Oh no, don’t make us not pay you 12+ million for the season while you sit at home. Daxton Hill, please report to the starting line up.

Jessie simply doesn’t have the splash plays to reset the market.   You always need the PFF sites of the world to tell you he’s elite.  

Now playoffs?  He had splash plays.   If you got the playoff production rate in a 17 game season? Yeah 18m is more comfortable. 

Remember, he has to show up at some point to get paid. He can’t sit out in regular season and still get checks or accrue a year toward full free agency.

Not only have bengals prepped for this by drafting hill ( and tycen anderson) but they also hsve carefully cultivated a locker room of leaders who will not let this be a distraction. 

my guess? The issue we will come to find out is bates’ agent, like he did for Watson, wants 100% of the contract guaranteed. Maybe I am wrong, but I think that agent has an agenda to shove all nfl contracts toward full guarantees.