O-line Watch 2022

ArmyBengal

I am not as high on Williams as some. LOTS of penalties. Some pretty rough reps where he gets beat quick. I guess he's an upgrade on Spain but not necessarily a huge upgrade at LG - especially at the cost I would imagine. Just my two cents. 

37 minutes ago, membengal said:

I am not as high on Williams as some. LOTS of penalties. Some pretty rough reps where he gets beat quick. I guess he's an upgrade on Spain but not necessarily a huge upgrade at LG - especially at the cost I would imagine. Just my two cents. 

He is young and getting better, I evaluate Williams like Awuzie in hindsight.  There is a lot of talent there that needs polishing but he is young and growing into his skillset.  He is already graded better than anyone else we have.  I don't think Williams turns 25 until the middle of the season.

20+ mil dumped in the interior line then another first round pick? Jensen will be 13 or so.  Williams will be in 7-10mil range.  Then Zion?  

I doubt they park Carman, Adeniji both on the bench.  

Reif doesn’t appear to be a primary target at this point.  No noise on extension.  

I don’t see the Bengals picking the 5th best tackle and that’s what the mocks are giving them right now.   I expect a FA add for tackle.    The draft is more likely to provide a C/G at 31 that can come in and start.  

Just a guess. 

Again, just from my standpoint, no one has suggested giving up on or cutting any 2021 rookies.
However, bring in more and make them compete.  There is no charity to be given.

I'm still a fan of putting Carman at LG from the jump and leaving him right the fuck there, letting him grow on the side of the line natural to him.
Give me Jansen, as suspected at this point, and either cut Hopkins or have him as depth.
RG ??  Give me whatever rookie that I think will actually be there at #31.  Let's use Zion Johnson as a place holder.
RT ??  THIS IS THE PROBLEM POSITION FOR ME.

I really don't think Adeniji looks the part of a RT, so I view him as OG depth unless he can beat out first round rookie.
Who does that leave ?? Nothing on the roster from my perspective, unless I missed someone.
In the draft, the OT's considered to be top 10 at the position are mostly LT's, with the exception of Faalele, who I am unsure about.
While I am "unsure" about Faalele, I am ABSOLUTELY sure I don't want him at #31.  Not that he may not be really good, but I don't want the risk.

In free agency, there aren't many RT's either.  Morgan Moses from the Jets ??  Can Trent Brown play somewhere other than New England and produce ??
After that, they may as well bring back Reiff.  It can't be forgotten that was his first season at the RT spot as well.

I think that is part of what makes going after a high end player at LT (FA or trade) more intriguing.  You would fix both OT's with a single move.
I have no concerns with Williams moving to RT.  He was an All-American RT at Alabama and am pretty sure the adjustment would be minimal.

Just my two cents...

I don't know if he's willing to move or not honestly.  I agree that it might be a bad way to go about doing that, but I don't think it would come to that.
The Bengals have to decide on his 5th year option and then agree to a long term extension, which I hope they do.
However, if they don't he would be a high end free agency with OT versatility in the NFL, not just college.
Teams knowing they could plug him in on either side of the line would only increase his value and future contract.

Maybe I'm wrong...

Pollack spoke at the combine today - some of what he said per the Enquirer:

Over the next few weeks, Pollack will be evaluating the offensive linemen who will be available in free agency after a thorough self-scout of the players he currently has in his room. In his 16th season as an NFL coach, Pollack has established the identity he feels his group must have to be successful.

“Just from what I see on tape and then does he fit in the room?” Pollack said. “Is he a leader? Is he a guy that’s going to be that alpha male? Is he a guy that’s going to be more reserved? I’d love to have more leadership in the room, love to have more alpha males in the room, can’t get enough of those guys. Would love to have more what I call glass eaters in the room. Can never have enough of those guys. That’s what this league requires. Those are the kind of offensive linemen that we’re looking for.”

The attention surrounding the Bengals’ offensive line this offseason will be at an all-time high following how the Super Bowl 56 loss unfolded. Quarterback Joe Burrow, in his second season in the NFL, was sacked seven times in the loss to the Rams. Burrow was sacked 70 times in total, including the regular season and the playoffs. The 70 sacks Burrow took is the third-most in NFL history.

Pollack specifically addressed the number of sacks his team allowed this season on Wednesday at the combine.

“I hate all sacks,” Pollack said. “They all make me angry and upset. I understand why they happen but we don’t’ want them. I would love to be able to get zero sacks the entire year. That is what I am straining for and losing my mind the whole time every day about. That’s not realistic but that is what I am grinding on and everyone’s approach should be that way.”

More from Pollack today:

Mike
@bengals_sans
Shout-out 
@JamesRapien
 for asking a great question

Frank Pollack on what he is looking for in free agent offensive linemen:

"Scheme fit, we need guys who are athletic, can run, can play at the second level in the run game" 

(wide zone)

Mike
@bengals_sans
·
1h
Replying to 
@bengals_sans
"Guys who can bend, who can anchor in protection. Who show the ability to play with length when they punch. Guys who obviously are smart."

(Spread pass game)

Based on these comments I would say the offense will continue to be similar to last year (RIP gun power/RPO)

I have continued to suggest that there will probably be an o-lineman that falls to the Bengals at #31. 
Specifically a Guard.

Just out of curiosity, I went back and looked through the past 20 years of the NFL draft.
Out of those 20 years, Only two times was there more than one OG taken in the first round.  The Bengals were a part of one (Zietler).
Two years, there were no OG's taken in the first.
Out of those 20 years, Only once was there more than one OC taken in the first round.  The Bengals were a part of that (Price).
Seven years, there were no OC's taken in the first.

I could have kept going, but figured that was a decent sample size for a simple thought process.
While there certainly are years where there are multiple OG's or OC's good enough to take in the first round, teams aren't valuing them that way.
With the QB's and WR's testing out so well, I think teams are going to start moving guys up in the first due to them valuing them more.
I think the odds are in our favor for one of the top OG's like Zion Johnson to fall to us.

Does that mean we don't go after an OG in free agency ?? 
NOPE.  Do that to, but plan for what happens down the round as well.
Don't trade #31 away...

well, with all options still open and FA not yet open as things are right this moment, I agree

but if things go like last year - with free agent options disappearing very quickly every passing day - I will be more and more open to a trade, since the bottom line is we flat-out HAVE TO HAVE a quality free agent or three protecting New Guy ongoing

desperate times call for desperate measures, and all that

Will Hernandez is a guard candidate to keep an eye on.      They loved him during Senior bowl supposedly.    That was when Pollack was just joining the staff.   Had a good first two years and a horrible last year with Giants. 

Former 2nd round pick and didn't give a bunch of sacks or pressures his first 2 years.   Not sure what has happened after that. 

Noteboom is also a T candidate and my favorite at this time.   It would be a question of left or right if LA can't strike a deal or doesn't tag.    He is supposed to the heir to the LT throne after Whitworth.     The important part is being able to lock down the edge rusher well enough as they slide protect.   Hart/Prince struggled badly and that's when looping stunts etc. seem to give guards more trouble.   I dunno it seem like there was a lot more chaos after RR went down.   Played great in the Rams playoff game vs. TB this past playoffs. 

Noteboom was part of that 2018 Senior bowl and would have been with ZT for 1 year.  

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

Will Hernandez is a guard candidate to keep an eye on.      They loved him during Senior bowl supposedly.    That was when Pollack was just joining the staff.   Had a good first two years and a horrible last year with Giants. 

Former 2nd round pick and didn't give a bunch of sacks or pressures his first 2 years.   Not sure what has happened after that. 

I love the idea of Will Hernandez on the cheap.  Growing up Munoz was his idol.

Hey TJ, that RT we’ve thrown around about led me to an intriguing player I have yet to hear anyone really talking about.

Abraham Lucas from Washington St.

BIG kid that is a pure RT and is currently thought to be around the 3rd round from what I’ve looked into.

My God I love the draft !!!

Malik on twitter saying that early rumblings are the bengals looking heavy D including at 31...

That best mean they are attacking the line in FA.

It would make sense, IF they attack line in FA, to look defense - could use EDGE, 3-tech, CB in a deep draft for each.

But that will make me even more tense about free agency. 

I fully expect at least 1 and maybe 2 CB’s taken in the draft. They spent there in past off seasons so not expecting much in FA unless it’s a decent 1 year deal. Think Donte Jackson coming off an injury.

Defense wouldn’t surprise me if they address the o-line in free agency. Still need to plan for additional years and there are spots up for grabs on the o-line for sure.