O-line Watch 2022

ArmyBengal

Not for nothing,  but geoff Hobson remains a crazy person. Literally, the first question in the mailbag about what he sees as biggest team need and at no point in the answer does he mention o-line…

https://twitter.com/geoffhobsoncin/status/1495735586690322433?s=21

27 minutes ago, membengal said:

Not for nothing,  but geoff Hobson remains a crazy person. Literally, the first question in the mailbag about what he sees as biggest team need and at no point in the answer does he mention o-line…

He's always been a moron

a clown reporter for a clown FO

41 minutes ago, membengal said:

Eh, he has questions regarding OL afterward.    I'm sure he trying to spread his thoughts over the entire article. 

Hints that Carman was considered RG/RT but now might be on the left side. 

Points out 1 Superbowl red zone sack was on Boyd, which is true. 

Doesn't think they'll drop $20m on Saints LT.  Suggests they'll spread their spending allotment while addressing the OL.   No question they'll address OL.

Throws out a blurb about Devonte Wyatt and the Senior Bowl.  I agree with too but that depends how many defensive FAs they resign.    I think that bodes well with Zion Johnson too because he had a better Senior bowl because he didn't get hurt.

3 minutes ago, membengal said:

Questions where he said they best move was developing what is here while minimizing how bad they were. Horseshit.

Not sure he said that.    Tyler Boyd absolutely caused a critical sack.  Are you saying that's bullshit because a whole bunch of football people have pointed that out?  That's reality. 

No doubt they're looking at the O-Line, of course, but you also have to realize they like all the guys they took last year. Don't forget, they drafted one in the second round (Carman), one in the fourth (D'Ante Smith) and one in the sixth (Hill). Anyone remember last offseason when we talked about the progress the young linebackers would make this year? The emergence of Pratt, Wilson, Markus Bailey and Davis-Gaither was the unsung story of a stingy defense.

Can the young offensive linemen come on this year like the backers last year? My sense is they envision all three guys having the chance to play at some point this season. Carman and D'Ante Smith have good length and size and 2020 sixth-rounder Hakeem Adeniji, who struggled at right guard in the postseason, has athleticism that jumps off the film.

I think there is high degree of reality there;  we might not see opening day TC where there are 3 or 4 new starters that were on a different roster in 2021 or college.   I think you might get 1 guy maybe 2. 

One blurb that has been thrown (non Bengal source)  out is the Connor Williams the guard from Dallas could be a candidate for Center.    Which is interesting. 

And here's a good example where it's not all on the offensive line. On that red-zone sack last Sunday, Burrow had to double-pump on third down when his receiver went the wrong way.

This 100% correct.  It was Tyler Boyd, sticks route he went inside when the correct read was outside.  Burrow has to double pump, sack.   This was one of the 4 critical misses that was reviewed in depth by NFL network a week ago.

I don't think Hobson is declaring the line was fine.    I think he's speaking reality.  They aren't going to throw out the young players.  So if a fan's perspecitve of success or failure of the offseason is bring in 3/4 new starters not on this roster in 2021.  Probably not going to happen.  

30 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Not sure he said that.    Tyler Boyd absolutely caused a critical sack.  Are you saying that's bullshit because a whole bunch of football people have pointed that out?  That's reality. 

I’m saying any answers that minimize the awful that the line was collectively all year in terms of protecting Joe burrow is bullshit. You simply cannot credibly on any level pretend that other factors in burrow’s protection were so bad to excuse the line. Pure horseshit.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

I think there is high degree of reality there;  we might not see opening day TC where there are 3 or 4 new starters that were on a different roster in 2021 or college.   I think you might get 1 guy maybe 2. 

One blurb that has been thrown (non Bengal source)  out is the Connor Williams the guard from Dallas could be a candidate for Center.    Which is interesting. 

One or two is not enough. Especially if Connor Williams is one of the two. Half measures. 

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, membengal said:

Pure horseshit.

This is where Hobson's strength lies

On the number of FAs:  I cant see this FO signing more than two high quality FA OLs best case, and honestly I struggle seeing them sign more than 1.  Sad but true. I believe that they will count on rookies as always, which is pathetic, New Guy deserves far better

I will as always be overjoyed to be wrong

I should clarify

I specifically meant high quality outside free agents

They do tend to do better signing their own FAs

to me, it'd be ideal to sign 3 (ORT, OC, OG) and draft 2 (ORT, OC or OG) on days 1 and 2

I think one of Carman or Smith will emerge as a true starting-quality option this year. More of a feeling than fact-based, tho Carman has shown he has more than enough power-wise albeit not enough in terms of want-to.  I think Hill remains on the PS, or is released.

Adeniji is a mystery within a conundrum.  I keep reading about how athletic he is but I keep seeing him get blown up in actual games, even against opponents who arent named Aaron Donald.  I see better than I hear, but they do have an offseason to get him figured out and straightened out. His confidence has to be rock freakin bottom, not unlike Michal Jordan.   I still think he is a better OT than OG.  Best case scenario he is an experienced backup at all spots except OC in 2022, but with only keeping 10, does he stick?

I like Hopkins.  A lot.  I think a full offseason removed from his injury will only improve him as a player.  I think he is as good or better as an OG than as an OC, and as such we can sign a high quality OC ---OR--- OG and he can either start at the other spot or be an extremely high quality backup at all three interior spots

I'm a little uncertain about what to do with Reiff and Spain.  I like them both as people, absolutely, and appreciate what they did this year, but I want better guys at both spots. Yeah, I know they'd probably be considered the 2nd and 3rd (4th at worst) best OL we have had.  I still want better.  I can dream, right?

On 2/17/2022 at 11:44 AM, AMPHAR said:

Follow back up on this.   I saw this play broken down a couple times.   The conclusion?    Spain you done fucked up, son.   I kid.

Most analysis has the final play of the Superbowl as slide protections towards the Left.  Most likely to deal with Donald.    Which means they will be zone pass pro on the left of the Center's nose.     Donald lined up almost on Jonah so Spain needed to wider on his set and wasn't.   If he was going to get beat he needed to force Donald to beat him inside were his help was with Hopkins. 

If he does you might have had Chase TD to win.   Sickening.    Not to dump on Spain but just to give insight on what went wrong.   NFL network had a break down on how the Rams turnt up the pressure and in summary looping stunts. 

Donald lined up offsides on the final sack, should have been a penalty

Hobson's article is one of the strangest I've ever read.

The first paragraph is an exercise in passive aggressive sarcasm.  Like, "we finally had a great year, but as usual all that you annoying fans want to talk about is the future moves you expect us to make, morons"  Then his second paragraph he implies that, as he believes, all fans are panicky little girls who just don't understand football!  The line I'm talking about is, "champs to overcame significant injuries that at one point caused hysteria."

I don't recall being hysterical.  His whole answer is just a fuck you to anyone asking what will be done in the offseason.  He just blathers about how incredible the team was, lists various stats and says we came so close how can you think we need major improvement.  Then he gives a penetrating glimpse into the obvious by saying we just need to do for the o-line this year what we did for the d-line last year.  No shit.  

• Like 1

One thing about Hobs, I don’t think he has a good feel for their offseason approach any more. Last few years he’s been same old same old and they have routinely done far more than his “traditional” expectations. It’s long past time the team gave him his gold watch and wavered him off into the sunset.

20 minutes ago, COB said:

Hobson's article is one of the strangest I've ever read.

The first paragraph is an exercise in passive aggressive sarcasm.  Like, "we finally had a great year, but as usual all that you annoying fans want to talk about is the future moves you expect us to make, morons"  Then his second paragraph he implies that, as he believes, all fans are panicky little girls who just don't understand football!  The line I'm talking about is, "champs to overcame significant injuries that at one point caused hysteria."

I don't recall being hysterical.  His whole answer is just a fuck you to anyone asking what will be done in the offseason.  He just blathers about how incredible the team was, lists various stats and says we came so close how can you think we need major improvement.  Then he gives a penetrating glimpse into the obvious by saying we just need to do for the o-line this year what we did for the d-line last year.  No shit.  

COB gets it. 

3 hours ago, membengal said:

I’m saying any answers that minimize the awful that the line was collectively all year in terms of protecting Joe burrow is bullshit. You simply cannot credibly on any level pretend that other factors in burrow’s protection were so bad to excuse the line. Pure horseshit.

No one is doing that.   Straw man. 

One could argue Hobson is doing that.

Anyway I think he is programmed to avoid centralizing focus on any one group and in so doing inadvertently trash that group. He is basically an extension of the franchise and constrains himself that way.

It isn’t “wrong” necessarily, but it does make his writing painful to read sometimes (apart from the constant corny metaphor and wordplay).

20 minutes ago, Stripes said:

One could argue Hobson is doing that.

Anyway I think he is programmed to avoid centralizing focus on any one group and in so doing inadvertently trash that group. He is basically an extension of the franchise and constrains himself that way.

It isn’t “wrong” necessarily, but it does make his writing painful to read sometimes (apart from the constant corny metaphor and wordplay).

That's like taking ZT's comments and turning it into "they won't address line".    One could argue anything, I guess.   Hobson isn't saying other areas of Burrow's protection were so bad the line is excused.    

He simply provided a real example and anyone who knows football knows that is a reality of pass protection.   Like it or not NFL network identified that  play as a critical mistake in costing them a championship so it is very relevant. 

6 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

That's like taking ZT's comments and turning it into "they won't address line".    One could argue anything, I guess.   Hobson isn't saying other areas of Burrow's protection were so bad the line is excused.    

He simply provided a real example and anyone who knows football knows that a reality of pass protection. 

Comparing Geoff Hobson's commentary to that of the head coach doesn't make much sense.

Regardless, I think we can all agree: in its Super Bowl condition, the offensive line requires the rest of the offense to operate with utter perfection (to include backs picking up rushers, receivers running proper routes, and Burrow making the right reads/decisions) to have a chance of being productive. That can work, and it did more often than not this season. However, against Super Bowl quality defensive talent, it poses a serious problem when the rest of the offense is highly unlikely to play perfect football.

7 minutes ago, Stripes said:

Comparing Geoff Hobson's commentary to that of the head coach doesn't make much sense.

Regardless, I think we can all agree: in its Super Bowl condition, the offensive line requires the rest of the offense to operate with utter perfection (to include backs picking up rushers, receivers running proper routes, and Burrow making the right reads/decisions) to have a chance of being productive. That can work, and it did more often than not this season. However, against Super Bowl quality defensive talent, it poses a serious problem when the rest of the offense is highly unlikely to play perfect football.

Yeah,  I don't think anyone has ever made the opposite argument including Hobson.

There are some people that hang on Hobson’s words as absolutes and those that know what they are getting into. I know how his story ends and haven’t given him much thought in many seasons.

Two off-seasons in a row Hobson gave his same old spin. Two off-seasons in a row the club goes out and spends like crazy to build a team around Burrow. Why is anyone listening to this dude now ?? He’s a mouthpiece, nothing more.

Bring in 3 free agent o-linemen ?? No, I don’t envision that whatsoever. Maybe 2. I do see them drafting 2 more as well, so we are at 4. That sounds about right to me.

Jonah is a lock to start in 2022.
I want Carmen to start out mini camp at 1 position and fucking keep him there. Let him start at that spot until he’s proven he’s not starter material. 
After that, everyone else is backup quality in my mind. That doesn’t mean they can’t improve with bringing back Spain or Reiff, but the rest of them jokers need to take a seat.

• Like 1