O-line Watch 2022

ArmyBengal

It’s like going to the grocery store hungry.  Everything looks good.   However the most targeted FAs are able to reach agreements even before FA starts without visits and then all the other stuff follows. 

What you are seeing now is the disconnect of PFF and reality.  There’s something (age, injury, drug tests, film) that forces the guys available now to shop themselves.  

Not that there can’t be big deals or be upgraded but money dries up fast.   

Specifically Collins supposedly on the trade market in October.  Then again in September.  Now a UFA for a few days.  Is he really spending 2.5 days in 1 city or doing any of that if he’s got a hot or warm market?   I dunno but it seems like a lot of effort for what fans call top 10 RT. 

I actually like Daryl Williams better than Collins.   He has been an actual All pro before.   Since his injury he’s been durable.  But no team has committed long term to him and I don’t recall Bengals ever showing interest.   So there’s something there that keeps this guy on FA market. This is like the 3rd time he’s been out there. 

But is he better than Prince?  Probably yes.

Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo
The #Bengals are finalizing an agreement with OT La’el Collins, sources tell me and 
@RapSheet
. He was supposed to leave town today for another visit but Cincy didn’t let him go.

OH MY GOD THIS IS SUCH GOOD NEWS

Paul Dehner Jr.
@pauldehnerjr
·
3m
Can confirm #Bengals land La’el Collins. New right tackle in place to complete OL overhaul. 

Three-year deal in Cincinnati.

• Like 1

Holy crap, we won a scrum

Jeremy Fowler
@JFowlerESPN
#Patriots made a competitive offer for La’el Collins and the Panthers were in the thick of it, too, I’m told. But he’s headed to Cincinnati, per 
@AdamSchefter
. Bengals had inside track and held onto it.

The guys who got them to the Super Bowl are now back-ups. That is in and of itself, good depth. We can and should expect Smith, Prince, Adeniki, Hill and Carman (if he doesn't win the LG job) to be quality back-ups with a chance to properly develop now behind veteran leaders. 

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/lael-collins/9719

Never bothered to look at his PFF before, but a solid 82 grade and 2 sacks allowed, should work.  Too many penalties, but, hopefully that improves.  

"When healthy, Collins is one of the better right tackles. According to Sam Monson of Pro Football Focus, he's "earned 70.0-plus PFF pass-blocking grades in three straight seasons.

Anthony Treash of PFF added that Collins "ranks fifth among all right tackles in PFF grade since 2019 (missed all of 2020 but played 1,743 snaps in 2019 and 2021)."

Staying on the field has been an issue, however. Hip surgery cost him the entirety of the 2020 season, and a violation of the NFL's substance-abuse policy led to a five-game suspension last season."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10030160-lael-collins-signs-3-year-bengals-contract-after-cowboys-release