O-line Watch 2022

ArmyBengal

There has been a bunch of talk about the potential for a Tunsil trade and while I can't say as I would absolutely do it, the thoughts are interesting.

One in particular was to bring back Reiff, but have him move to RG next to Jonah at RT.
Tunsil and Carmen on the left side of the line with a new free agent center like Jensen.

Not that any of us couldn't have thought of that, but it intrigued me.
Couple that with another draft pick or two along the o-line and that's an interesting thought.

The chances of getting a player like Tunsil (see multiple pro bowler) at #31 is slim.  Not impossible, but slim.

I'd prefer a better player, but he (C Evan Brown) would absolutely be an upgrade and bring some youth.....and stability through years of the New Guy rookie contract.  He could be signed for 5-6 years and still be in prime playing years throughout the contract. 

Overall 66, better than average

A little lighter in the britches than I'd like.

Well worth a looksee.

I just looked up Hopkins on PFF and it says he finished with a 51.  51 to 66 is obviously a HUGE improvement, but I ask once again - do any of you have access to PFF paywalled numbers and if so, how did Hopkins grade (overall and passblocking and runblocking numbers, please) in the last 6 games of the regular season?  I think he was still hobbled by his injury in the early part of the season and played much better later.  If I am wrong, i'd prefer to know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Eh, maybe I guess.   That's a pure "I trust Pollack" move.

PFF has the Lions line ranked at 13.   Fools gold, IMO.  Got to be careful using PFF grades to compare players.  Anybody that spent time watching the Lions, they were the classic run the ball in the ground quick dink offense.    Ranked in the 20s, I'm sure.  They didn't crack 20 points a staggering amount of times.

3 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Absolutely on board with this in conjunction with, say, two FA guards. That's how you re-make a line. 

• Like 1

Some folks are talking about Carman at OLG instead of ORT or ORG

The basis for this is that his ratings were notably higher at OLG than ORG......tho the number of snaps this is based on is relatively small

I am all for this if it produces a better overall OLine.....Spain (assuming he signs) and Carman can battle it out for that spot.

Heck, put Jonah at OL and Carman at OLT if thats the best combo, strange tho that may sound....Im all about the best combo

Of course that leaves ORG as just as big a question as it was this time last year, if not bigger

I dont want Adeniji playing there, XSF will be gone, and.......well, yeah, its a hole

the whole right side is a hole, tho :-)

Here is a draft profile write up regarding Carman:

Clemson offensive lineman Jackson Carman enters the NFL after serving as Trevor Lawrence’s blindside protector for the last two-plus seasons in college—a role he filled quite well. Carman is a massive and powerful blocker that thrives in the run game and holds his own in pass protection. His power is notable, but he moves well for his size and features strong hand technique that he blends with a strong feel for his role in the scheme that makes him an effective blocker. Where Carman shows signs of struggles is when he is tasked with speed off the edge. In those moments, Carman is often beat to his landmarks and he struggles to recover. Should that be problematic at the next level, a move to guard will be required and Carman’s skill set suggests it’s a transition he could handle—and perhaps he can perform even better on the inside. Carman has the makings of a quality starter at the next level, but his team will need to figure out the right spot for him to grow and develop at.

The bolded portion is something else I had mentioned and think they can start ruling out.  I don't really think he was a good fit on the right side, but I suppose that is arguable.  Being as how he spent his last two years at Clemson at the LT spot, I would have thought a move to LG would have been the easiest move for him and still think he should start camp at that spot and leave him there.  

If we go into the offseason with that as a plan....Carman as OLG rather than ORG or ORT........the need for a quality veteran ORG and quality veteran ORT grows

thats fine by me - if we can get better quality play out of a developing rookie under contract for the next 3 years, I am all for it.

and we have a full offseason to implement it, and knowing this is the plan in advance lets us better target quality FA OLs

In this scenario I'd envision a continuous all-season battle for the OLG spot between Carman and Spain (or a FA OG, or a day 1/2 rookie OG if Spain chooses to go elsewhere), and I believe Carman really needs that push.....doesnt seem to be fully self-motivated just yet

In TJ's dream world, Spain accepts a role where he is the primary backup at both OG spots, but in reality I dont think he'll accept such a role

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

Here is a draft profile write up regarding Carman:

The bolded portion is something else I had mentioned and think they can start ruling out.  I don't really think he was a good fit on the right side, but I suppose that is arguable.  Being as how he spent his last two years at Clemson at the LT spot, I would have thought a move to LG would have been the easiest move for him and still think he should start camp at that spot and leave him there.  

Carman is an absolute mystery to me.   IMO, he looked worlds better than Adeniji at RG.   Not sure why he found the bench, again IMO was no where near the liability in pass pro as Adeniji.   It should be noted alot of his snaps came with Reif while Adeniji had Prince.

I honestly think he is going to be a high level starter in this league, but that conflicts with him not being on the field.   So a mystery  I guess.