O-line Watch 2022

ArmyBengal

2 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Football fans are mostly results oriented.   The last result we had was Burrow losing in the Superbowl due to pressure.     Had it been a lose with few sacks BUT Eli Apple getting roasted constantly.   Then the current holes in the DB room would be front and center.

At the end of the day the OL on paper looks improve which should help them continue to improve offensive productivity.  

Had we lost the Super Bowl and took 5 less sacks in that game, with any CB getting roasted, I still don't think that would lead me to overlook the 65 total sacks on the season.  I know there are more to sacks than simple bad play on the part of the o-line, but that stat is fucking staggering to me when I see it.  Yes, the CB's would be a hotter topic.  I agree with that, but the poor o-line play was not only our "last result", but an ongoing reoccurrence through the season as well.

1 minute ago, Stripes said:

What's the current worst-case scenario?

Williams - Carman - Karras - Cappa - Prince? (maybe swap the guards)

I was going to say that's encouraging, but nah RT is still a glaring issue. Shore it up before you're forced to rely on the 5th-10th OT in the draft to do it.

That would be my current guess.   However there are several scenarios that will be fought out.     I think you can mark Williams at LT and Cappa at RG.  

27 minutes ago, membengal said:

I like Joe, but he's moved the goalposts on this. Maybe for twitter engagement? Dunno. But his spot on Egger on Monday he was NOT on this train. And now he is. Disappointing from him. 

Well, maybe I’m misrepresenting him then but my impression the last couple days is that he very much wants a tier 1 signing at tackle. I’m sympathetic, and it’s not like they can’t afford it,  but it’s not the Bengals’ MO. I would be thrilled to be surprised.

5 minutes ago, Stripes said:

What's the current worst-case scenario?

Williams - Carman - Karras - Cappa - Prince? (maybe swap the guards)

I was going to say that's encouraging, but nah RT is still a glaring issue. Shore it up before you're forced to rely on the 5th-10th OT in the draft to do it.

In the above o-line make up, that's not what I would prefer at all when considering what we have on the roster.
As much as I have been saying Carman need to be placed at LG and left there, I would switch it up under this scenario.

Williams - Karras - Hopkins - Cappa - Carman

I think adding Hopkins back in the mix, while moving Carman to the RT spot would be a FAR better option than leaving Prince in there.
This is where opinions vary.  I don't think much (see anything) of Prince.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Well, maybe I’m misrepresenting him then but my impression the last couple days is that he very much wants a tier 1 signing at tackle. I’m sympathetic, and it’s not like they can’t afford it,  but it’s not the Bengals’ MO. I would be thrilled to be surprised.

Again, I do not think there's any chance at Armstead landing here.
HOWEVER, I have long mentioned that I would have zero issues moving Jonah to RT, seeing as how he was an All American RT at Alabama.
Armstead adds an elite LT while simultaneously giving us a better option than any other player available at RT.

I find it hard to imagine anyone really arguing that point, unless someone would argue that Jonah is worse than any other available player to bring in.
If he is, we have bigger problems on the o-line than we are thinking.

10 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

Next year, they could well buzzsaw us.  Still a very very good team.

Agree wholeheartedly with this.
Hell, the Ravens had a ton of injuries last year and have made some upgrades as well.
Before we anoint the Bengals Super Bowl favorites, it's not like the Ravens are going to hand them the AFC North in 2022.
Not that anyone has suggested that.

One other thing that it seems to me keeps getting forgotten is that we had three guys coming off injury to play last year, Hopkins, Carmen and Adenji. I am very much not on board the cut Hopkins train so many others seem to have jumped on and I’d like to see Carmen after a full offseason not involving back surgery and rehab. There is absolutely no reason not to expect improvement there.

I am however fully on board the anybody but Prince train.

21 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

I am talking about what I read from him on Twitter this AM. It was a very different tone from what he was saying Monday on Egger's show. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

That would be my current guess.   However there are several scenarios that will be fought out.     I think you can mark Williams at LT and Cappa at RG.  

I agree.  DeAnte Smith made good progress all season and has added more weight.  He could make an above avg  RT soon 

22 minutes ago, redsbengalsbucks said:

I agree.  DeAnte Smith made good progress all season and has added more weight.  He could make an above avg  RT soon 

Yeah.  I would love for them to make a move at RT.   However, at this point I would lean towards development at RT if it means more stable vet starters at TE or DB, or DL.