2022 Offseason Roster Notes

HoosierCat

10 hours ago, membengal said:

Hey all - Hurst is really good. Better downfield threat than CJ. Only three drops in his career. Contract just one year at 3.5 million. 

Honestly, when considering everything while looking at Hurst, I would have preferred at least a 2 year deal.
I think he's going to have a very good 2022 and then price himself out of the Bengals reach for 2023.

Bengals are doing well at challenge prove-it deals to young vets who need to breakout yet. It's an interesting model. They can sell it in future years too - "look what we did for Hill and Ogunobi" - it appears to be a market inefficiency they are exploiting. 

• Thanks 1

Here's the thing with Hurst - he's going to be EXACTLY where Burrow expects him to be when he expects him to be on routes and he has sure hands. He can also do damage with YAC when the ball does come his way. He is a more fluid runner and mover than CJ was.  

9 minutes ago, membengal said:

Bengals are doing well at challenge prove-it deals to young vets who need to breakout yet. It's an interesting model. They can sell it in future years too - "look what we did for Hill and Ogunobi" - it appears to be a market inefficiency they are exploiting. 

It could be used to farm comp picks as well

1 year contract means the player can leave quicker, and each departure can potentially produce a comp pick

• Thanks 1

To be honest, I wasn't even aware that Hurst was a free agent.
I think I was so sure CJ was coming back, I didn't even consider someone else coming in.

If people haven't figured out, I'm really excited to have Hurst on the team.
I think he's more the 2020 version than his other 3 years.
His career has been skewed for a couple different reasons.

Y'all are talking me into it. I don't really expect him to outproduce CJ, but perhaps he can equal him (ish). It should be acknowledged that his best year was in 2020, which happens to be the only season in which he wasn't sitting behind an elite tight end (Mark Andrews or Kyle Pitts).

1 hour ago, Stripes said:

Y'all are talking me into it. I don't really expect him to outproduce CJ, but perhaps he can equal him (ish). It should be acknowledged that his best year was in 2020, which happens to be the only season in which he wasn't sitting behind an elite tight end (Mark Andrews or Kyle Pitts).

I mentioned it before but will go into more detail because I think it's important to consider.

His first two seasons in Baltimore were also Lamar Jackson's first two seasons in the league.  Anyone remember how poorly Jackson threw the football during that time ??  Dude was ALWAYS run first and throw later.  When he threw, not much good was happening.  Hell, his first year (2018) the Ravens went with both Flacco and Jackson getting playing time. Hurst got 23 targets compared to Andrews' 50 and only played in 12 games.

In 2019, Jackson was the primary QB, but RGIII got playing time as well.  That was the season where Jackson ran for 1200 yards.  Crazy.  On top of that Andrews' took a massive team leading 98 targets on the season, with Hurst getting 39.

2020 is his first season as the #1 TE in his move to the Falcons and gets a whooping 88 targets on the season, which he turned into 571 yards and 6 TD's.  CJ had 63 targets last year with 493 yards and 5 TD's for comparison sake.  35 of Hurst's 56 receptions that season went for 1st downs. CJ had 24 last year.

Fast forward to 2021 and the Falcons draft Kyle Pitts in the first round. GET THIS...  As a rookie, Pitts leads the Falcons with a staggering 110 targets.  Hurst got 31.  Oddly enough Hurst had 3 TD's to Pitts' 1 on the season.

Don't think Hurst can do that with Chase, Higgins, Boyd and Mixon you say ??
Well that 2020 season, he did it with Julio Jones, Calvin Ridley, Russell Gage and Todd Gurley competing for targets.

This pick up was a win plain and simple and yes, I think there's every reason to expect him to give what CJ gave last year at a minimum.
I'm expecting more to be honest.  I'M FUCKING PUMPED WITH THE SIGNING !!!

WHOFUCKINGDEY !!!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Also worth noting today from Schefter:

Deal is now in place: Saints and Tyrann Mathieu officially reached agreement on a three-year, $33 million contract, including $18 million fully guaranteed, per sources. Language still needs to be finalized and the deal signed. But Mathieu is returning home to New Orleans.

I don’t think Bates is going to get whatever his agent is telling him he will get in FA.

• Like 1

Its kinda too late tho......at least, for that contract here

I have to guess that the Bengals cam to the conclusion that it was 18M or he was out, and you just saw them draft two FSs a few days ago as a result.  This was an unspoken "sorry JBIII, but we have to move on, then"

I suppose it is possible for some kind of reconciliation where Bates stays (on a reasonable contract, maybe 10-12 a year) and Bell is the one to go.  But I doubt it.

With the way things are lately in the front office, nothing really surprises me anymore.

We could wake up tomorrow to find Bates has a new deal, Hill is the slot corner, Taylor-Britt is the 3rd safety, Bell has been extended and Hilton was cut.
Literally none of anything remotely close to the above will surprise me.

So with that thought in mind, lets take a quick look at which Bengals will be UFA's after this season.
There are also another 6 players which are either RFA or ERFA as well.
3 LB's (Bachie, Johnson, Jones), 2 TE's (Wilcox, Eubanks) and 1 WR (Trenton Irwin)

DEFENSE:
S Jessie Bates
S Vonn Bell
S Brandon Wilson
S Michael Thomas
CB Eli Apple
CB Tre Flowers
CB Jalen Davis
LB Germaine Pratt

OFFENSE:
QB Brandon Allen
TE Hayden Hurst
TE Drew Sample
RB Samaje Perine
RB Trayveon Williams
WR Trent Taylor
WR Mike Thomas

SPECIAL TEAMS:
P Kevin Huber
LS Clark Harris

3 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

So with that thought in mind, lets take a quick look at which Bengals will be UFA's after this season.
There are also another 6 players which are either RFA or ERFA as well.
3 LB's (Bachie, Johnson, Jones), 2 TE's (Wilcox, Eubanks) and 1 WR (Trenton Irwin)

DEFENSE:
S Jessie Bates
S Vonn Bell
S Brandon Wilson
S Michael Thomas
CB Eli Apple
CB Tre Flowers
CB Jalen Davis
LB Germaine Pratt

OFFENSE:
QB Brandon Allen
TE Hayden Hurst
TE Drew Sample
RB Samaje Perine
RB Trayveon Williams
WR Trent Taylor
WR Mike Thomas

SPECIAL TEAMS:
P Kevin Huber
LS Clark Harris

Aside from Bates, I like this situation. Resign Bell and Pratt, possibly Hurst. This next offseason is definitely ideal. 

• Like 1

I was surprised there were no linemen on either side of the ball at this point.
Not to say we won't pick up someone on a one year deal before the start of the season, but still.

Also, in looking at who we drafted and who is coming up as a free agent, there's money for the team to pick up in who they release.
I'm not saying they should just start dropping guys, rather acknowledging there is low hanging fruit in order to pick up cash.

With all the big contracts coming due in their future, I really am curious to see how they manage it.

You gotta expect the 3 new secondary players to be drafted to possibly replace a portion of the secondary FAs.   

Bengals are projected to have $58m in cap room 2023.   Expect the bengals to batten down the hatches and start focusing more on internal extensions.

Right now Bengals are spending cash below the salary cap.   So hopefully a couple summer extensions come a few vets way.