2022 Offseason Roster Notes

HoosierCat

Read on another board Cappa has been wearing two numbers 66 and 65 for media stuff.   Apparently Larry O.  will have rights to 65 if he would happen to return.

I think that would be the best move they could make for an outside FA at this point. 

I personally think the Steelers have screwed the pooch on Minkah from day 1 when they acquired him.   He is a top player at his position, no doubt.   But they used too much draft capital to get him and now doubled down on using a significant amount of cap room on him.    I think he is a better safety than Bates, but you can still overpay.

Who is Willie Lutz ??

I’ve seen things from him lately and I generally disagree with most of it.

I saw a comment recently of his claiming that since the Bengals were willing to pay Trae Waynes 10 million per year that the Bengals should be willing to pay Bates his asking price.

Or something along those lines.

Just an absolutely absurd argument to make your point about why the Bengals should keep Bates. Then there’s the whole fact of the Bengals didn’t pay Waynes 10 million. Even then, that doesn’t take into consideration contracts coming due.

Forgive me for not putting much stock in his words at this point. As a matter of fact I’d like to know where I could place a LARGE bet that shit won’t happen.

He’s just a fan, like any of us. 

his thoughts carry no more weight than anyone in here.

that said, I am similarly intrigued by Brown and also think he could knock someone off the roster.

36 minutes ago, membengal said:

He’s just a fan, like any of us. 

his thoughts carry no more weight than anyone in here.

that said, I am similarly intrigued by Brown and also think he could knock someone off the roster.

Gotcha and that makes sense.

Always good to have players that intrigue. I simply don’t think there’s a chance he knocks either Hill or Adeniji off the roster.

I could be wrong but like I said, I would place a bet against it happening.

I’ve heard him mentioned as potentially being able to snap too. I think he did some of that at the senior all-star games events.  If he can do it even a little makes Hill in even more jeapordy.

In my mind Adeniji is safe.    Pollack played him right off the PUP list.   Pollack played him 100% of the snaps in the post season despite some very bad play.     No way he cuts him for a UDFA while keeping the guys he chose not to play at RG during the post season.

That would be like a WTF are you doing moment for Pollack, IMO. 

Ben Brown has some center starts in college so maybe back up center, maybe.   However if you look at the Centers under Tobin they all seem to be in that 6'3 range.

Volson no chance they count on him to back up Center, IMO.     Hill will be tough to beat out because they have already demonstrated confidence in him by trading Price. 

I didn’t say backup center. But if he can snap well enough to be an emergency guy - enhances his chances of being active on Sundays and puts Hill’s spot in further hot water. I expect Volson to vie for LG. But if he can snap C too they will be interested in that. 

Nothing is written in stone and I won’t say always, but….. it seems like most years they have two centers.    So for Hill to be in “hot water”,  who is the other  true Center?  Not Volson.   It’d have to be an epic disaster to see him play center as a rookie.  

Ben Brown?  Maybe.   However Tobin values late round picks and he used one on Hill not Brown.   Then got comfortable enough to trade Billy Price and have Hill back up a starting Center they cut. 

In my view to trade away Billy Price and cut your starter before they even acquired Ben Brown tells me he’d have to crush it to beat out Hill. 

Anything is possible, I guess.  With sports gambling becoming legal there’s going to be wrecked families because nobody can handicap shit.