SUPER BOWL LVI: Bengals vs. Rams

HoosierCat

I was poking around the base statistics, and I was amazed at some of these similarities:

Defensive rankings
Overall (yardage):
Bengals 18th (350.8)
Rams 17th (344.9)

*Overall (yards per play):
Bengals T21st (5.5)
Rams T10th (5.2)

Overall (scoring):
Bengals 17th (22.1)
Rams T16th (21.9)

Rushing yardage:
Bengals 5th (102.5)
Rams 6th (103.2)

*Rushing yards per carry:
Bengals T17th (4.3)
Rams T7th (4.0)

Passing yardage:
Bengals 26th (248.4)
Rams 22nd (241.7)

Net yards per pass attempt allowed (includes sacks):
Bengals T22nd (6.3)
Rams T16th (6.1)

Team sacks:
Bengals 12th (42; 50 with playoffs)
Rams 3rd (50; 55 with playoffs)

Offensive rankings
Overall (yardage):
Bengals 13th (361.5)
Rams 9th (372.1)

Overall (yards per play):
Bengals T7th (5.9)
Rams T4th (6.0)

Overall (scoring):
Bengals T8th (27.1)
Rams T8th (27.1)

Rushing yardage:
Bengals 23rd (102.5)
Rams 25th (99.0)

Rushing yards per carry:
Bengals T26th (4.0)
Rams T26th (4.0)

Passing yardage:
Bengals 7th (259.0)
Rams 5th (273.1)

Passing yards per attempt:
Joe Burrow 1st (8.9)
Matt Stafford 3rd (8.1)

Net yards per pass attempt (includes sacks):
Bengals 3rd (7.2)
Rams 2nd (7.3)

*Not all of these are close. Asterisks denote separation.

Obviously these numbers don't mean a whole lot for one game, and they have essentially no impact on my feelings about how the game is going to go. I was just a bit surprised by some of this. On paper these teams are very close to each other over the 17-game regular season. They're also similar for at least the last two rounds of the postseason -- both teams have won their divisional and conference championship games by a combined 6 points.

• Like 2

And one coach mentored the other in his (NFL) approach, so I guess I can see why the offenses would be so similar.  The sack diff is a bit scary.

Hopefully the Titans' game helps them prepare for the Rams' D-line, and it isn't an ugly sack fest like that game again.  But point taken, very similar teams despite the season record diff's.  

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

NFL confirms that Rams will be kicked out of their locker room for the game.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/01/31/bengals-are-home-team-for-super-bowl-lvi-in-rams-stadium/

I come here to share my excitement for Superbowl but very sad that Billy wont see this.

but I end up have something to say to this. it obviously say Rams will stay in their locker room, while Bengals use Charger's room. so basically I guess it mean Chargers is the one who host this Superbowl, not Rams.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dimster28 said:

I come here to share my excitement for Superbowl but very sad that Billy wont see this.

but I end up have something to say to this. it obviously say Rams will stay in their locker room, while Bengals use Charger's room. so basically I guess it mean Chargers is the one who host this Superbowl, not Rams.

I stand corrected

28 minutes ago, cincyhokie said:

Like a moth to a flame, all of the talk is being focused on the Rams D line getting to Burrow. And again no attention is being paid to the Bengals defense and how they can affect Stafford. 

Donald is the best defensive player in football.  That match-up is bad and you know it.  I'm interested in how they deal with it.  I fully expect the D to have some success getting to Stafford or forcing a TO or two.

2 hours ago, Dimster28 said:

Hey Dimster.  

4 minutes ago, COB said:

Strange.  They never played together.  I guess it’s the LSU connection? 

That and they were both rehabbing injuries and had the same doc. Whit called him while he was rehabbing out west and they got together a couple times including the draft. Fwiw Whit think he’s going to be a great one.

• Like 1

Here is what I don't understand....

If KC had beaten us by a FG in overtime, do you think they would be a 4 pt underdog to the Rams?  Not a chance, they would likely be favorites.  Yet even though we beat KC twice in a month, we aren't afforded the same respect.

9 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Here is what I don't understand....

If KC had beaten us by a FG in overtime, do you think they would be a 4 pt underdog to the Rams?  Not a chance, they would likely be favorites.  Yet even though we beat KC twice in a month, we aren't afforded the same respect.

Because we are well and truly stuck into the “Moneyball” era in the NFL. It’s all about analytics like PFF grades and FO’s DVOA and those all say we suck. Case in point:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-analysis/2022/bengals-historically-low-dvoa

Nothing for it but to win.

31 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Because we are well and truly stuck into the “Moneyball” era in the NFL. It’s all about analytics like PFF grades and FO’s DVOA and those all say we suck. Case in point:

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-analysis/2022/bengals-historically-low-dvoa

Nothing for it but to win.

PFF doesn't say we suck we have the 9th highest OVER grade as a team with an 88.2...the Rams are #1 with a 94.1 :(

The thing is they have not played up to their rating as far as wins are concerned.  I question leadership.

9 hours ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Donald is the best defensive player in football.  That match-up is bad and you know it.  I'm interested in how they deal with it.  I fully expect the D to have some success getting to Stafford or forcing a TO or two.

Yes but it’s not the only aspect to the game. But just like the last 3 games, it’s going to be the focus. Despite the Bengals defense largely winning all their playoff games including shutting down the “best offense in the NFL.”

I'm not saying we will win, BUT, let's pump the fucking brakes on the Rams-are-a-menace-we-can't-win bullshit bubbling up out there nationwide. At, least, let's pump the brakes on that amongst ourselves.

Week 16 Burrow went nuclear on the Ravens. 525 yards. Absolute carnage. People IMMEDIATELY discounted that because OMG THE RAVENS ARE SO HURT DEFENSIVELY IT DOESN'T REALLY COUNT. 

Week 17, the Rams go into Baltimore to play that same Ravens team and BARELY escape with a 20-19 win. And that included a pick-6 thrown by Stafford to that same shitty Ravens defense.

I mean, I JUST FUCKING SAW THAT SHIT GO DOWN.  IT WAS ONE MONTH AGO. I CAN REMEMBER BACK THAT FAR.

Game fucking on.  

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, membengal said:

I'm not saying we will win, BUT, let's pump the fucking brakes on the Rams-are-a-menace-we-can't-win bullshit bubbling up out there nationwide. At, least, let's pump the brakes on that amongst ourselves.

Week 16 Burrow went nuclear on the Ravens. 525 yards. Absolute carnage. People IMMEDIATELY discounted that because OMG THE RAVENS ARE SO HURT DEFENSIVELY IT DOESN'T REALLY COUNT. 

Week 17, the Rams go into Baltimore to play that same Ravens team and BARELY escape with a 20-19 win. And that included a pick-6 thrown by Stafford to that same shitty Ravens defense.

I mean, I JUST FUCKING SAW THAT SHIT GO DOWN.  IT WAS ONE MONTH AGO. I CAN REMEMBER BACK THAT FAR.

Game fucking on.  

the question is

https://thespun.com/nfl/nfc-west/los-angeles-rams/los-angeles-rams-expected-to-rest-starters-in-week-17

did they do so?

kinda surprised that if they did rest starters, Stafford wasnt one of them (per your pick 6 mention above)