SUPER BOWL LVI: Bengals vs. Rams

HoosierCat

It will probably change but 9 out of 14 of espn guys picked the Bengals in their early preview piece this morning.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33181048/super-bowl-lvi-preview-rams-bengals-predictions-picks-odds-big-questions-stats-know-key-matchups-more#picks

• Like 1

Seriously, I really didn't want to face the 49er's. 
There is a psychological aspect to knowing you have already beaten/lost to a team in the same season. I'd rather that not be there.
I like the fact that Taylor probably has better insight into what McVay thinks, prepares, and executes a game plan than most.
I like having two weeks for this team to come up with another solid game plan and have full faith in them executing.

I'm more concerned about the Rams passing attack.  Make them run the ball.  You can't let Cupp loose running down the field.
On offence, help out with Donald.  throw another TE, RB, locker room sink and anything else at him.

I looked at the team defensive and offensive stats on ESPN and these two teams are actually pretty comparable.
More so than I think most would believe.  

I think the difference is that the Bengals are not going to quit and I think the Rams know it.
I don't think they've seen much (if any) of that this whole season.

2 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

will a part of you somewhere deep down feel bad for Big Whit?

"Maybe" after some time goes by, but in all honesty probably not.
It's us or them and I prefer us.  Fuck everyone else.

Sort of like Afghanistan but without people dying in that someone probably wasn't going back home and I preferred that be the bad guys !!!

There's some silver lining available when it comes to the Rams defensive line problem, I think, referring primarily to Donald, Miller, and Floyd. Everyone knows what they're capable of without a semblance of doubt.

I think the Bengals staff underestimated the Titans defensive line and didn't have a great plan in place to deal with it. That's likely a product, at least in part, of the Titans defensive line featuring numerous solid-but-not-spectacular players. Simmons had a bit of name recognition, but otherwise it was more "they're good, and we will have to handle it" instead of "they have Aaron freaking Donald and Von Miller, both perennial DPOY candidates over the past decade".

There's no way the Bengals coaching staff can overlook the Rams defensive line strengths. It's impossible. I expect they'll dedicate a greater priority in their planning over the next two weeks to resolving that problem than they did prior to the Tennessee game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TJJackson said:

It is still the stadium the Rams play in.......I see this as a HUGE disadvantage

I honestly don't, though I understand why you might. I think it's a disadvantage, but probably also one that will be overstated.

Super Bowl tickets cost two life savings. The vast majority of the most rockous, noisy, engaged Rams fans will not be in that stadium because it isn't practically possible. I expect a weird sort of muted homefield advantage, more than we'd like on a "neutral field", but also less emphasized than what they just dealt with in Nashville or Kansas City.

6 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I honestly don't, though I understand why you might. I think it's a disadvantage, but probably also one that will be overstated.

Super Bowl tickets cost two life savings. The vast majority of the most rockous, noisy, engaged Rams fans will not be in that stadium because it isn't practically possible. I expect a weird sort of muted homefield advantage, more than we'd like on a "neutral field", but also less emphasized than what they just dealt with in Nashville or Kansas City.

Yah, my thinking exactly. Just for fun I want to ticketmaster and the cheapest seat available is an end zone nosebleed seat for $5,717.00. Midfield nosebleeds are circa $7,000.00

Anything lower than top level and you're talking in the $20k neighborhood. Field level? $30k-60k.

I'd love to go but I can't afford a second mortgage.

Plenty of news, but I don't want to put the tweets in. ZT says there is definitely still a chance CJ might be back. He mentions he is familiar with Donald what with him having coached for the Rams and also Donald being one of the best players ever and yes they will be working on a plan.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Anyone else also take for granted just HOW MUCH better CJ is than Sample or any other TE ?? It would be a huge boost to see him back out there for the Super Bowl.

Absolutely. There's no one I've been happier for this year than CJ. During the Dalton years he always seemed to be on the cusp of becoming a threat but never quite got there. Then at the start of last year Burrow immediately had a connection with him and he was clearly going to be a big part of the plan...and then he blew out his ACL. To see him fight back from that and set career highs for receptions, yards and touchdowns is so awesome. If there's anyone I could believe could come back and play in two weeks, it's him.

I expect very little home field advantage for Rams.

1st - Rams aren't the biggest fan NFL base in the LA area.  Its the Raiders or 9ers.  They couldn't keep 9er fans out the past two home meetings. 

2nd - LA isn't real die hard sport anyway

2nd - Superbowl crowd is a lot of corporate/there to be seen types.  

Nashville and KC were way more of a concern.   It could be an easy rally cry for our guys had to beat Titans in Nashville, Chiefs in KC, and now Rams in LA.

10 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

I expect very little home field advantage for Rams.

1st - Rams aren't the biggest fan NFL base in the LA area.  Its the Raiders or 9ers.  They couldn't keep 9er fans out the past two home meetings. 

2nd - LA isn't real die hard sport anyway

2nd - Superbowl crowd is a lot of corporate/there to be seen types.  

Nashville and KC were way more of a concern.   It could be an easy rally cry for our guys had to beat Titans in Nashville, Chiefs in KC, and now Rams in LA.

Yeah, Pats fans took the place over back in week 8, too.

https://www.patspulpit.com/2021/10/31/22756491/patriots-fans-take-over-sofi-stadium-chargers-nfl-week-8

Despite increasingly desperate attempts by the league, Los Angelenos have time and again just refused to give that much of a shit about pro football.