2022 General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

Top Bengals positional needs ranked in my meaningless opinion, starting with the most pressing:

Pass rushing IDL
Outside CB
LG
LB depth
Vertical WR behind Chase
Tackle depth
TE
Safety depth
Punter

I know there's already a plan in motion for many of these, so that I still include it just suggests I'm not super sold yet (e.g., Drue Chrisman). Only the first three items on the list really concern me at the starters level.

• Like 1

While I'd like to see Hopkins and Spain re-signed, I also understand that this is a business where younger and cheaper players have to be cycled in.....so I don think any more OLs will be signed in FA.

I don't actually see any more signings that would be necessary.  a few like to haves, but no necessities

Like to have would include CB and 3TDT

I dont consider them necessities because again, a mix of veteran and youth is necessary for ongoing/sustained success, and we already have at least 1 quality veterans at these two spots - Chido, Apple, BJ.  Rookies have to be developed, and the best place to develop them is as backups

Mind you, i'd like to sign a decent veteran corner.  same with inside pass rushing DT.  I'd welcome Ogunjobi back with open arms.  But I remain mindful of the need to develop rookies in-house.  I honestly believe our needs at CB, S, 3TDT, DE, TE, and KR should be addressed in the draft, not FA.  I'd be perfectly happy to close the door on FA at this point.

If I were to pick just one spot more to address in FA, it'd be 3TDT, since the two inside pass rushers rotate to stay fresh - they are sorta kinda both starters - and then also get a guy by r4 who can be the third 3TDT in the rotation, with a snap distribution between the three going something like 42/42/16 per 100 snaps.

The cut timing is kinda weird

Not associated with another need, ie another big signing

He's another one we could re-sign (yes, throw your rotten tomatoes now, I am ready for it) but it'd obviously have to be a short term deal low on guarantees and heavy on incentives.....things like, oh, I don't know, actual in-game snaps played :-)

1 hour ago, Stripes said:

Top Bengals positional needs ranked in my meaningless opinion, starting with the most pressing:

Pass rushing IDL
Outside CB
LG
LB depth
Vertical WR behind Chase
Tackle depth
TE
Safety depth
Punter

I know there's already a plan in motion for many of these, so that I still include it just suggests I'm not super sold yet (e.g., Drue Chrisman). Only the first three items on the list really concern me at the starters level.

EDGE

We don't have anyone we know can put consistent pressure on the QB other than Hendrickson. Ossai is a hope, but only a hope. This is  a deep edge class. If one falls to us at 31 I would be all over that. 

2 hours ago, membengal said:

EDGE

We don't have anyone we know can put consistent pressure on the QB other than Hendrickson. Ossai is a hope, but only a hope. This is  a deep edge class. If one falls to us at 31 I would be all over that. 

I thought I included that. Oops. But yes I will never complain about drafting pass rush early; works for me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Did you meet him in a parking lot? In his car, by chance?

Come on now.  He’s no longer the coolest guy in town.  He’s sealing driveways.  Although his sealant tanker truck had a bumper sticker that read, “If my driveway sealant tanker truck is a’rockin’ (behind an Olive Garden in a strip mall parking lot), don’t come a’knockin’.”

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, COB said:

Come on now.  He’s no longer the coolest guy in town.  He’s sealing driveways.  Although his sealant tanker truck had a bumper sticker that read, “If my driveway sealant tanker truck is a’rockin’ (behind an Olive Garden in a strip mall parking lot), don’t come a’knockin’.”

That ain't right.  

No one's gonna want to pay for him, Browns' will be eating some cash I gotta think, at some point.  I don't know how they have anything left.

Mmmm ok didn’t see that coming. Schefter:

Jets and Dolphins are in serious talks to trade for Chiefs’ WR Tyreek Hill, per league sources. Hill and Chiefs are mulling what to do but Hill’s time in KC looks like it could be coming to an end.