2022 General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

Really happy for CJ. Wish he would have gotten a ring after the year he had with the team. Prices went up for TE’s due to lack of options. Hard to turn down that kind of money and we weren’t giving it to him. 

There are at least 3-4 tight ends I like in this draft class and they will be a hell of a lot cheaper than 24 million over 3 years.

Agree with the idea that OJ Howard still has the opportunity to do well. He’s was never a fit in that offense.

Watson: “I don’t know man, Cleveland seems kind of bleak.”

Cleveland Brass: “Today we’ll be touring the area behind an Olive Garden located in a suburban mall parking lot.  This is where the magic happens.  Back here behind the grease dumpster.”

Watson: “You got me, where do I sign?”

• Like 1

Really, really sad that CJ left us, although I am happy for him that he got another big payday

I will always be a Uzomah fan, especially after what he was for us in 2021

related aside: Jets are making some big moves that make one think that THEY think they are contenders this year.  who knows, Bengals went from no game to the big game in one year, so stranger things have happened.  If the Jets truly believe this, they'll be working hard to keep Morgan Moses, a player we should be talking to right now given that La'el is still under Dallas' control

I don't want Watson playing in Cleveland either.  Dude is still a top 5 QB in the league when playing.

Agree that him going to talk, only to leave would be the best (see glorious) option.
1. He doesn't play for the Browns
2. It pisses off Mayfield beyond repair

That organization really is just like the movie Draft Day.

we lost Darius Philips to the raiders

which is fine, he regressed badly here after good first year

He got 2.25M, far more than I thought he'd get.  One year prove-it deal, which is exactly what he needs to try to get his career restarted

I dont know why it went down the way it did here, but I do wish him well....he showed me in his rookie year that he has starter potential

39 minutes ago, COB said:

Watson: “I don’t know man, Cleveland seems kind of bleak.”

Cleveland Brass: “Today we’ll be touring the area behind an Olive Garden located in a suburban mall parking lot.  This is where the magic happens.  Back here behind the grease dumpster.”

Watson: “You got me, where do I sign?”

The Cleveland handshake would be appealing to Watson.  

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

I don't want Watson playing in Cleveland either.  Dude is still a top 5 QB in the league when playing.

Agree that him going to talk, only to leave would be the best (see glorious) option.
1. He doesn't play for the Browns
2. It pisses off Mayfield beyond repair

That organization really is just like the movie Draft Day.

Word is that they want to trade him to an NFC team so the price for Cleveland would be higher, so it probably doesn’t happen. But a guy can dream. (And no I’m not afraid of Watson.)

I’m hearing 3 first rounders are just the starting point on Watson.  Better have a good, young, roster if you’re giving up those future players.  It really is a quandary for these teams that don’t have a top ten quarterback.  Ha ha ha!!!!!

43 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Word is that they want to trade him to an NFC team so the price for Cleveland would be higher, so it probably doesn’t happen. But a guy can dream. (And no I’m not afraid of Watson.)

Afraid ??  No...

Honestly, seeing the Browns give up that many 1st rounders along with other picks and players ALONG with paying him top end money would be absolutely crippling for that organization.  It's one thing for an established team to pay their own guy top money, but quite different to do that while simultaneously giving up the team's future for many years to come.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Afraid ??  No...

Honestly, seeing the Browns give up that many 1st rounders along with other picks and players ALONG with paying him top end money would be absolutely crippling for that organization.  It's one thing for an established team to pay their own guy top money, but quite different to do that while simultaneously giving up the team's future for many years to come.

It’s the Browns Way!

13 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Afraid ??  No...

Like the Rams?

Just read that Rodgers’ 3 year, $150 million deal with Green Bay will pay him $74.5 million in the first year.  $74.5 million for one year.  

I considered Aaron Rodgers to be an arrogant prick.  A guy who could not withstand the adulation that accompanied his athletic success.  A guy who let that adulation suck him into a delusional grandiosity that made him believe he was the smartest guy in every room, a guy who’s natural instincts were always correct, a guy who’s superficial understandings of complex topics trumped those of scientists and experts.  

But I guess I was wrong.  Aaron Rodgers really is some kind of savant.  Someone is paying him 74 million dollars for one year.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

Like the Rams?

Not at all.  The Rams had already signed Goff to a 4 year 134 Million dollar deal.
They traded for Stafford who had signed a deal with the Lions for 5 years and 135 million.

Stafford's deal had an average salary of 27 million, where Goff's was 33.5 million.
While Stafford is an UFA after the 2022 season, the Lions have an out after 2022 and take a 10 million dollar hit, while saving over 60 million.

Granted, the Rams gave up picks, but it's not on the same level as what the Browns would be looking at to acquire Watson.
The Rams had already accounted for a top end contract at that point in time.

1 hour ago, redsbengalsbucks said:

Need to get either a RT, DT or CB starter and this FA is a win.  Maybe a pass catching vet TE for a year deal as a bonus 

I'd say the ORT is a necessity, and the others (CB, TE, 3TDT) would be very much like to haves

Id really like to know what Eli Apple is thinking right now

Id also like to understand why Uzomah left so easily and so.....quietly.  He was anything but quiet this past season, and he left with nary a word

15 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

I'd say the ORT is a necessity, and the others (CB, TE, 3TDT) would be very much like to haves

Id really like to know what Eli Apple is thinking right now

Id also like to understand why Uzomah left so easily and so.....quietly.  He was anything but quiet this past season, and he left with nary a word

I still want a veteran RT in either Collins or Williams, unless I missed them signing elsewhere.

CB, TE and a 3 Tech are close to must haves and maybe even 2 CB's considering that group.
I would still put WR right after that as well.  No need to pay more for Veterans to simply fill out the back end of the roster when rookies will do.
I see #31 now being Best Player Available where I previously had an o-lineman penciled in.  The options look to be interesting.

we haven yet signed an ORT.  and I dont think the top 3 have signed anywhere.

I still want an ORT at 31 as this player should be groomed a few years and be ready to take over in 2024 or so

but I get the BPA line of thinking

Once we have the ORT in place I will be far more inclined to go BPA myself.....but for me, the need to protect New Guy from hits easily overrides BPA considerations

CJ left because the Jets offered more than the Bengals were willing to pay. I don’t blame him at all. He’s 29, this is likely his last chance at a big payday, and he takes it and secures his family’s future. I have no doubt Jets fans will love him and when this contract is up I expect he will slide smoothly into the broadcast booth.

Re leaving without a word, remember none of these deals are official yet. Just had one blow up today in Dallas’ face today. I’m sure he’ll have something to say once the deal is signed.

We are almost at the same point, with some variance.

I want a RT signing of either La'el Collins or Daryl Williams.
If not them and we have to depend on the draft, there isn't a RT I want at 31, as I don't think there is value there.
Abraham Lucas, out of Washington St. would be a fine 2nd round pick for me.

I want #31 starting THIS year.  I don't want to wait for results.
Whatever player can come in and make an impact this year would be good in my book.
A CB wouldn't be surprising to me.

Then again, I could be pissing up a rope...