2022 General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

I TOLD you guys! Bengals are flat busted broke. Gonna have to cut some guys prolly just to free up cash to pay Bates (insert pic of monopoly guy, pockets turned inside out, shrugging). Now, if Hamilton County ponies up for one of those $2 billion sports palaces like they have in Vegas, maybe that will bring in enough additional revenue that they could afford, say, a third string FA LB or something. Maybe. No promises.

Omg COB you left out the best part, the headline:

“Bengals To-Do List Is All In On '22“

ha ha ha gaslighting at its finest! Headline: we’re all in! Story: broke! Can’t spend money! Hobs, man, every fukkin’ year, ya gotta hand it to him. No one, and I mean no one, crushes all your football hopes and dreams like him.

Agreed with Hobson's yearly spin being an old schtick.  It's always been that way and always will.
It's part of the reason I no longer go to the official site but a few times a year.  I just don't subject myself to it anymore.

It has nothing to do with what the Bengals have or haven't done over the last couple of off-seasons.
It has nothing to do with that approach working then or if it will work again.

It has everything to do with Hobson doing what he does EVERY SINGLE SEASON.
It's just silliness to suggest the Bengals are going to be limited in what they can or can't do in free agency.
Of course there are degrees, but the point stands.  Hobson is tired and predictable in his writing.

ESPN:

The Indianapolis Colts are trading quarterback Carson Wentz to the Washington Commanders for a package of picks, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The Colts' return is thought to include two third-round picks, sources said.

Sources told Schefter that Washington will pay the full $28 million due to Wentz for the 2022 season, which includes a $5 million roster bonus due next week.

Couldn’t say, didn’t pay any attention to Indy last year. Colts fans seem thrilled tho, so take from that what you will.

Apparently the full deal is: DC gets Wentz and Indy’s second round pick this year (47). Indy gets DC’s second rounder this year (42), their third rounder this year  (72) and their third round pick in 2023, which can improve to a second rounder if Wentz hits certain numbers.

This might have something to do with it....

Wentz completed 59% of his passes, threw two touchdown passes and had two turnovers in losses to the Las Vegas Raiders and Jacksonville Jaguars to close out the season. He threw for at least 200 yards in only two of the final eight games. In the upset loss to the Jaguars in the season finale, Wentz posted a career-low 4.3 Total QBR.

Those losses cost the Colts a trip to the playoffs in a season where they had 7 players in the Pro Bowl game.
I know that isn't the "Be all, end all", but it's not a bad thing either...

• Like 1

Yeah I'm not sure Colts fans should be happy until the critical piece of QB is in place.  That's kinda important.   

Pittsburgh options have dwindled down.    I guess Watson they could pull still, but it will cost them a lot based on the recent trades.  

2 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Not sure I can recall...  Was Wentz really that bad in Indy ??
They should have made the playoffs I recall, but lost both their last two games.
Were those losses on Wentz ??  Not that it matters at this point, but was curious.

I mean, their last loss was to the Jags in a must win game they were favored by 18 so...

2 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

This might have something to do with it....

Those losses cost the Colts a trip to the playoffs in a season where they had 7 players in the Pro Bowl game.
I know that isn't the "Be all, end all", but it's not a bad thing either...

sorry. should have kept reading. Yes, this. He pulled a Dalton-in-prime-time in a 1:00 game against the Jags in a must win spot. Colts owner after that game made it pretty clear he was done. 

• Like 1

No issue Mem, I really didn’t pay much attention to the Colts last year. Didn’t even make it to the Colts Texans game with my son which we haven’t missed in the last 10 years.

Yes I remain a fan of Jensen coming to Cincinnati. What he would bring to the table not only for the o-line and his leadership, I’m sure he could share his thoughts on his time with Brady with Burrow. 

any interest in Jordan Hicks?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33462824/source-arizona-cardinals-releasing-starting-lb-jordan-hicks

PFF rating for 2021 was 64.4, which is solid/decent

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/jordan-hicks/9517

He is a Cincinnati native, graduated from Lakota HS.  Might take a hometown and/or "Joe Brr" discount.

Doesnt count towards compensatory picks

I'd love to know what his grade was for passing downs....ie how good (or not) he is in coverage

I know LBs aren't top priority, but quality depth is a good thing, and he is right in the prime of his career

One money-related thing.

This is NOT

I repeat

N O T

the year to reserve 10 million dollars to shift to next years cap, like they do every fucking year

the window is open N O W with NewGuy on his rookie contract

window is NOW, so spend NOW

the "roll 10M" thing can resume when the New Guy era is over, many years from now

If they reserve 10M this year to roll forward, I will fucking scream like a hungry baby. 

Yes mem, even moreso than my usual tantrums :-)

A free agent LB that would be a major grab and under the radar would be Foye Oluokun from the Falcons.  (Saw him on NFL network)  Very impressive.  Would add a level of speed and agility.  Produces a fair amount of TOs and gets to the ball. 

Not sure they are in the market for LBs, though.  

Cap rollover isn't what people make of it.  Its just the difference of cash vs. cap accounting.

Using best data available the Bengal over spent the cap by $12m in cash terms.  $194m vs. $182.5m in 2021.  

The Bengals will typically like to match Cash and cap limit.   They probably have about 90 mil to shell out without trying to reconcile all the cuts etc. The pool for new free agents probably comes in around $50m of actual cash to spend on new FAs.   That probably comes close to Hobson's $20m cap number.   Last year I think they spent $40m cash on new FAs.

I think they spent close to $60m cash in 2020 on new FAs.  

It all gets lost in translation because some people use total contract amount, guaranteed amount,  people still drag their knuckles refusing to acknowledge resigns as actual free agent signings etc.

Point being: Bengals cash spent is probably going to be right around $208m maybe a little more or less pending on injuries etc.    The only thing to be concerned with is if the Bengals were 90% of the cap in a 3 year period because that would indicate doing the min as this is a spending guarantee the NFLPA won.  

Based on 2020 and 2021 spend levels they are well above 100%.  They spent $234m in cash in 2020 on cap of $197m.