2022 General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

Going from the bottom up.

Yeah, I'd expect most of the RFAs back. Maybe not Fred, they seem to have soured on him, but they usually tender their restricteds. No guarantee they make it to opening day 2022 tho.

Huber and Harris are probably back if they want to be. If the Bengals win Sunday I an easily see them retiring, too.

Darius Phillips is gone. Allen, Davis, Evans Tate and Thomas are all roster churn candidates.

Brandon Allen will likely be back, unless he decides to try for a starting job someplace else.

I would expect they try to resign all the DL: Tupou, Ogun and Hill. They definitely like Tupou, and Ogun more than earned a long-term deal. I would be surprised if at least two of the three aren't retained, though we'll have to see what kind of offers Ogun gets.

Secondary gets interesting. No reason not to keep Flowers. He shouldn't be expensive and he's great vs. TEs, a traditional defensive weakness here. Hargreaves seems like a roster churn candidate but I get the impression coaches like him so who knows. Apple has earned at least an offer imo. I will be really, really interested to see what kind of market he has. He had a good year here overall, but his body of work is...less good, to say the least. And then there's Bates. I don't have any faith they will be able to get a deal done with him. Big question for me is, does he get tagged? (I predict not but we shall see.)

Spain should be a priority. I would not object to bringing back Reiff on a deal like he had last year, but there may be better options in FA.

Uzomah will be re-signed. Book it.

• 3 weeks later...

So after Bates is tagged, the Bengals have according to various sources about $35 million in cap space left. So subtracting out $10 million for ookieray oolpay, $10 million for injury pad, $10 million for carryover to 2023 and $5 million for expenses related to care and maintenance of Mike's vintage Lumina, I'd say we're broke. That's it, done, FA over with.

(What's that? Cut Waynes for more space? Oh you sweet summer child! Do you know how much money Mike has paid him so far for barely any snaps? Oh, no, he's staying here this season, and he'll be playing offense, defense, special teams, and also scouting, coaching and mowing Mike's lawn!)

Well, that answers that. Rapoport:

The #Packers and MVP QB Aaron Rodgers have agreed to terms on a 4-year, $200M deal that makes him the highest paid player in NFL history, sources say. He gets a whopping $153M guaranteed and his cap number goes down. A monstrous commitment by GB for years to come. 

Why hello there...

Jordan Schultz
@Schultz_Report
 · 34m
#Pats FA corner J.C. Jackson -- who’s still just 26 -- will set the market in a big way. Sources say the #Bengals, #Chargers, #Niners and #Dolphins will all have legitimate interest in the All-Pro, among others. @MR_INT

• Like 1

My big question in FA is always the same: when the gates open, there will be a flood. If there’s a guy you want, you’ve got to jump in right at the start. The bengals have not been ones to do that. How aggressive they are will mean a lot. They have Joe, they have FAs attention. Do they take advantage of it?

I don’t think they jump in and play bidding war.   I think they got a target list with values assigned.  They offer and if rejected they move on.  

Hopefully their haul this year resembles the last two years.      Then it’s a whole other deal getting actual production. 

Hobdouche just posted a ridiculous grease pit of lies on Bengals.com.  

Basically, he goes “after that big move tagging Bates, the giant question is how will the brain trust divide up the remaining $20 million.”

$20 million.  Unbelievable.  Correction - very believable.  Anyway then he quotes Duke saying your own unsigned players are a secret trove of brilliance that very few are savvy enough to recognize.  

Hobsuck repeatedly ruminates that it would be so great to be able to go after first tier free agents but that’s impossible due to the giant comet that is going to hit earth after the ‘22 season (aka extending Burrow).  

He also ejaculates over the fact that we paid Awuzie and Hilton combined what Jackson got paid in Washington, then said that model could work for our o-line.  

This fucking guy doesn’t set the bar low.  He digs a hole and buries the bar.  

He also described Ogunjobi’s one year 6 mill deal as “beefy.”  Set phasers for kill.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, COB said:

Basically, he goes “after that big move tagging Bates, the giant question is how will the brain trust divide up the remaining $20 million.”

$20 million.  Unbelievable.  Correction - very believable.  Anyway then he quotes Duke saying your own unsigned players are a secret trove of brilliance that very few are savvy enough to recognize.  

Hobsuck repeatedly ruminates that it would be so great to be able to go after first tier free agents but that’s impossible due to the giant comet that is going to hit earth after the ‘22 season (aka extending Burrow).  

He also ejaculates over the fact that we paid Awuzie and Hilton combined what Jackson got paid in Washington, then said that model could work for our o-line.  

He also described Ogunjobi’s one year 6 mill deal as “beefy.”  Set phasers for kill.  

Eh, he's right about Will Jackson vs Chido and Hilton.  They nailed it.   I would love for similar results this year with the o-line.

Will Jack costs around $14m.  Chido and Hilton cost $12.3m.      This will remain true through 2023. 

What's the issue with that?

1 hour ago, COB said:

Excellent. Always happy when he pushes someone over to blinding rage so I am not alone.