2022 General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

On 4/1/2022 at 12:30 PM, Wraith said:

Would love Linderbaum at 31...an out in our steal.  He is the best graded olineman PFF has ever graded two years in a row.  A mauler with impeccable technique.  Lock down OC move Karras' to starting LG...perfect.  Linderbaum is a HS wrestling champion and penned a much bigger Tristan Wirfs while surrendering about 30 lbs.  Not worried about arm length or size, maybe if he were playing Tackle....

I wouldn't complain...

Bring back Huber or draft a new kid.  My expectations for the season won't live or die on that decision.
However, that kid Araiza can flip field position regardless of where he's punting from.
That's quite a weapon to have, especially considering getting through the AFC and back to the Super Bowl.

2 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Bring back Huber or draft a new kid.  My expectations for the season won't live or die on that decision.
However, that kid Araiza can flip field position regardless of where he's punting from.
That's quite a weapon to have, especially considering getting through the AFC and back to the Super Bowl.

I wouldn't be scared to spend a 5th to get the Punt God....

• Like 1

This mock likes Linderbaum at #31 due to lack of need from other teams (allowing him to drop) and the fact it would potentially kill two proverbial birds with one stone, as you could move Karras to his ideal position at LG, if Linderbaum can win the starting nod at C.  

https://sports.yahoo.com/benals-win-big-2-round-183452105.html

I just don't know what they do at CB though, as they definitely need a replacement for Waynes and/or could use some quality depth there, so I'm sure that's not off the table either.

Schefter:

Another mega deal: Bills reached agreement with WR Stefon Diggs on a 4-year, $104 million extension that includes $70 million guaranteed, sources tell ESPN. Deal ties Diggs to Buffalo for six more years, at $124.1M, with the intent from both sides to have him retire in Buffalo.

For a minute there, I forgot which thread I was in and thought this was something on Bates.

These contracts are insane to think about.  
Remember how ape shit crazy everyone went when Haynesworth signed his 100 million dollar deal ??
Now it's become and every day number in the league.

Good for Diggs though and Buffalo wrapping him up for 6 years is some nice continuity.

Goodberry says that extension occurred at a time when Buffalo has/had 200k in cap space

Bengals must be more creative during this championship window we have, like Buffalo is doing. 

They seem to understand the concept of the championship window better than our FO, even though I have to admit our FO has been better of late

My guess is that its going to take a substantially increased willingness by The Family to take on short-term debt. Most of the guaranteed money in a contract has to be escrowed after the contract is signed, even if it isn’t due to actually be paid to the player for years. So just looking at Burrow, Higgins and Chase, we’re probably talking $300 million-plus that they are going to have to find just for the bonuses.

5 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

I would assume (I have no idea) that either restructures and/or players getting released are being determined.

How a team with only 200k in space works in a brand new 100 million contract is beyond my understanding.

Diggs was in the second to last year of his previous deal and was carrying an $18 million cap hit, so there was plenty of room to work. The new deal probably freed up space.

Gotcha, that makes sense Hoosier !!

To be honest, I don't see the Bengals carrying both Higgins and Boyd after their current contracts expire.
Heck maybe neither of them.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the group stick together.
Maybe the ever rising cap allows for that in the coming years.

• Like 1

The FO must become willing to mortgage the distant future for the here and now, when we have a superbowl-level team in place

Compete for the Superbowl for the next few years, then ok, yeah, win or lose we dont have as much to spend 5+ years from now and have to go back to a more "frugal" approach

....but....

since we can WIN NOW, we need to SPEND NOW

SPEND

WHILE

THE

WINDOW

IS

OPEN

Boyd will be 29 when he hits FA in 2024 so I’m not sure what his market will be like, but yeah I would not expect him to be back. That said he’s here for this season and next, and the window is wide open. Let’s get him a ring or two before he leaves.

I would assume (I have no idea) that either restructures and/or players getting released are being determined.

How a team with only 200k in space works in a brand new 100 million contract is beyond my understanding.

He was already counting something against their cap this year.   The way its worded or being reported probably has 0 cap increase this year and then they are adding on the new portion in future years.  

Gotcha, that makes sense Hoosier !!

To be honest, I don't see the Bengals carrying both Higgins and Boyd after their current contracts expire.
Heck maybe neither of them.  Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the group stick together.
Maybe the ever rising cap allows for that in the coming years.

I think the Bengals have a short term window of 2 years.   Then it will depend on how well they draft on the window remaining open. 

KC is crossing this bridge currently.  With the increased talent in their division it would not be a shock to see KC out of the playoffs.    They have pushed off cap hits for Thuney til next year (probably going to cut him.)  If not they'll have nearly $40mil of cap room tied up in the left side of their OL.   Very hard to build the rest of the team. 

This is why I wouldn't rule out WR at 31.  

Typically I would agree with that thought process AMPHAR, but not this year.
I don't think the addition of an early round WR, will make an impact in the next two seasons.
With there being positions which would make an earlier impact (CB, DT, even Center) taking a WR would also equate to losing that impact.
Also, this is amazingly deep WR class in my opinion.  There are players which could be had on day three that would impact in their rookie seasons.

All that being said, I won't necessarily bitch and moan about a WR at #31, but think there are better uses for the pick should other players be there.

For me, return ability is a welcome bonus, but never the primary interest I have when drafting a receiver (unless it's a truly unique collegiate kick return superstar in a late round). If they take a WR anywhere, I hope and assume their focus will be on potential offensive contribution. This year the most important contribution would likely be the ability to create downfield separation to improve the depth behind Chase on the outside.

It's not that I don't value field position, but rather I don't think returners add predictable or stable value to field position. This year in particular, a punter would be a better direction to go, I believe, if field position is the premier concern. A returner relies more on their 10-man return team than a punter relies on their 10-man coverage team to decide field position. I might feel differently in a season in which the likes of Araiza aren't available.