2022 General Free Agency Thread

HoosierCat

38 minutes ago, membengal said:

Browns fans walking away in disgust over them getting watson because he's a fucking awful human being and the browns being favored or not being favored are two different things. 

I doubt the rats on the ship will go far.  They’ll mostly be back as soon as it appears they’ll be good.  

Watson absolutely makes the Browns better. I'm not putting them in the Super Bowl, but I take them seriously in the division. It'll just be more fun to beat them now. Whatever his warts, Baker handled the Bengals. Watson failed to beat Brandon Allen.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, COB said:

Watson basically benefited from his whole sexual assault drama.  Houston is being run by that team chaplain from NE, doesn’t know shit about football.  The Browns are in a serious window.  Got huge guaranteed money.  The whole thing resulted in a huge upgrade for Watson.  

side note - pretty clear, with that magician Watson has for an agent also representing Jessie Bates, we’re not getting Bates long term.  

I don’t see a window for the Browns past the next two seasons.  Even the next two seasons will need some luck to make them contenders 

I believe the Browns front office is hoping to get brisk uniform sales from this move, they don’t have a good WR group, RB’s both have a lot of wear on the treads, they have been shedding good D players for three years and now they have no chance of upgrading in the draft or any money to sign FA replacements for years to come

4 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Watson is a major upgrade.  

Sure Watson is better , but no OBJ, no Landry, multiple D players gone and C leaves in FA thus season .  No way they are fixing all those holes now 

how much better is Watson after a year off , then a healthy Baker?  Not a real large difference and he will be suspended for at least part of the year

• Like 1

They got Amari Cooper and David Ojunku.  Look for them to draft a WR high.  Not sure why the let Landry walk and not pay him.  Let’s see what they get in trade for Baker.  I see the Steelers at the bottom with the Browns and Ravens trying to beat Cincy out for #1.  Even if we start Prince at RT.  What!!!!?!!!  I’m a dreamer !?! We’ll shit we just went to the Super Bowl! Anything is possible.  One terrible call on Logan Wilson away from pulling it out.  

no deal on collins

Mike Garafolo
@MikeGarafolo
·
39s
OT La’el Collins’ visit with the #Bengals has wrapped, sources say. He’s slated to visit at least one more team in the next two days. Cincy is still in play and will remain in communication with the former #Cowboys lineman.

2 hours ago, redsbengalsbucks said:

Sure Watson is better , but no OBJ, no Landry, multiple D players gone and C leaves in FA thus season .  No way they are fixing all those holes now 

how much better is Watson after a year off , then a healthy Baker?  Not a real large difference and he will be suspended for at least part of the year

Landry could go back to Cleveland according to recent tweets.   Browns will be tough.  

Malik Wright
@Wrightreportt
·
4m
Collins update 

1. No he did not fail his physical ( any report of that isn’t true)  

2. He liked Cincinnati 

3. It’s important to remember he’s 28 years old and he’s never been a FA before nothing wrong with testing out market 

4. Cincinnati is still in play

RELAX we’ll see

They need to beef up holes on defense.   AFC was tough this past year and with all the moves this offseason on paper it will be tougher.    Would love help at CB and also 3T pass rush.  

I'm hopeful they can get Larry O. back.  I'm sure they'll take on more risk with the physical since they know the player a little more. 

alright

this is hard for me to say, folks

I have long considered the Bengals FO to be the proverbial blind squirrel

I have a lot of anger pent up over 30 plus years

That said, ok, yes, at this point even a jaded old fart like me has to admit that over the last three years theyve drafted well and done well in FA

Naturally, I still want more, mostly at positions others have mentioned, but I already consider this offseason to be a major success

I now think ORT can wait til Round 2.  Three years from now, when La'el departs, this second round ORT should be groomed and ready to take over.  As such, Pick 31 can be BPA among, in no particular order: pass rushing DT, pass rushing DE, man/press corner, FS (as of now, sadly, I expect Jesse to be gone after 2022) or OL (any).  Maybe pass coverage LB as a darkhorse, but doubtful.

I don't necessarily disagree with that, mem, even tho D'Ante's experience is almost entirely on the LEFT not the right -- but my point (and I already know that you disagree) is that with La'el having multiple availability issues over the years, we should have a solid plan B for ORT in 2022.....this year.

Any player can get injured, so you want a decent backup at every spot, thats a general given. 

In La'el's case, that risk is magnified greatly because he has had availability problems not just for injury, but also for non-injury issues.  It is ergo much more likely that a backup will take starting ORT snaps than it is at other positions on the lines, and in turn, the need for a solid backup at ORT is greater than normal

Dont get me wrong - I love this signing

But I simply cant ignore La'el's availability history

I simply never considered a RT at #31, because I don't believe there's one valued at that spot.
The ones that are will be long gone and those that remain are 2nd and 3rd round talents at best.
In that instance, you take the better talent at whatever position they may play (in theory).

In other words, in my opinion, you take a Kyler Murray over Abraham Lucas at #31 if all else falls through.
CB is still a need for the team and many have Murray as a late first or early second round talent.
Most have Abraham as a late second early third talent.

That's not to say that I don't want Abraham, because that is a dude that I think would groom very well behind Collins.