AFC Championship Weekend: Bengals @ Chiefs

HoosierCat

2 hours ago, Stripes said:

It's easy to see the Chiefs scoring a million points lately and just puke, but I think most of us wanted the Chiefs as an opponent more than we wanted the Bills. There's a reason for that. The matchups are better on both sides of the ball.

This

One thing that's different this season as compared to playoff seasons of the recent past, is that in those years as the games got bigger...the team got smaller.

This time, as the games get bigger, the Bengals have kept getting bigger, too. Especially on defense. Regular season Jesse Bates was not exactly cementing his case for a top-tier extension. Playoff Jesse Bates is a must-keep. Remember all our talk a few weeks ago about the linebackers and how we might need to spend a first round pick on one? Yeah, that aged like milk. Playoff Wilson and Playoff Pratt are all-pros. Even guys that have been bringing it all season, like Reader and Hilton, have upped their game even more.

If they keep that up, and if the offensive line can find another level too, they just might pull this whole thing off.

3 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

and if the offensive line can find another level too

Adeniji has nowhere to go but up after his play vs the Titans, but I dont think the overall OL has the possibility of improving unless they make a switch at ORG

I am NOT saying that they WILL be better if Carman starts at ORG, I am rather saying that I see this as the only possible way they could potentially improve

That said, he improves the run game, I think, and a successful run game reduces Mahomes time on the field

However, it being Friday and no starter change announced, I guess it is the Adeniji and Prince show on the right side again.  I hope they gave Carman enough ORG reps that they can easily swap him in if Adeniji sucks ass again

The right side of the line is what it is at this point, I think. I’m more interested if the left side plus Hopkins can bounce back. Tennessee served up a clinic’s worth of stunts and twists that had them chasing empty space while Joe got hit. The Chiefs dline may not be quite as talented but I am sure they studied that and will try some similar tricks. Williams, Spain and Hopkins constitute the cream (such as it is) of the oline. They need to answer the bell Sunday.

2 hours ago, COB said:

Based on my review of sources (wiki) it looks like Andy Reid has coached in 9 conference championship games, and he’s 3-6 in those games.  

Yeah he had hella time with McNabb and the Eagles.   I think he  had like 3 straight losses or something close to that.