Jump to content
HoosierCat

Divisional Weekend: Bengals @ Oilers

Recommended Posts

The good news is that it forces the Bengals hand. The best defense is a good offense. Time to take the regulator off again and let it fly. Win this one and see who can come back healthy on the D line for the AFC Championship game.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Stripes said:

If the game in Nashville is on Saturday I am going to be EXTREMELY tempted to go.

Tix on sale per Twitter, don’t know the day yet..,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cincyhokie said:

The DT situation is not good. I guess Tyler Shelvin is not playing well at all. Might have to sign a couple of players this week. Assuming Wren and Tupou can’t go.

Dehner said to expect some pickups

Shelvin looked like poop in Cleveland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I swear TJ Watt after every play looking at the ref and says “Do you know who I am, what do you mean no flag”

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, volcom69 said:

Man I wish the Bengals could screen like the one the Chiefs just did, with Chris Evens

With a better O line they will be able to.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good td throw by Ben there, dude deserves a couple more years, come on Rooney family.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad to see the Steelers are one and dumb. I would have enjoyed the Bengals raking them over the coals a third time this season but a quick exit from the playoffs in a blowout is fine too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For another less meaningful first-in-a-while: the Bengals have outlasted the rest of the AFC North on the season (something I don't recall ever happening when 2+ teams in the division made the playoffs).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Stripes said:

For another less meaningful first-in-a-while: the Bengals have outlasted the rest of the AFC North on the season (something I don't recall ever happening when 2+ teams in the division made the playoffs).

I love every one of these, as they are one less factoid for the media to go on and on about year after year. Wanna talk Bengals, let's bring up the most meaningless facts about when they last did X!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I decided to look back at all of the quarterbacks taken #1 overall (exception for Rivers since he was in a weird spot) since 2000 to see how their postseason careers went/have gone.

2001 - Michael Vick - 2 playoff wins (2-4), first coming in his 2nd season
2002 - David Carr - never made the playoffs
2003 - Carson Palmer - 1 playoff win (1-3), coming in his 13th season for a different franchise
2004 - Eli Manning - 8 playoff wins (8-4, 2-0 in Super Bowl), first coming in his 4th season ||| Philip Rivers - 5 playoff wins (5-7), first coming in 4th season
2005 - Alex Smith - 2 playoff wins (2-5), first coming in his 7th season
2007 - JaMarcus Russell - never made the playoffs
2009 - Matt Stafford - 0 playoff wins (0-3)
2010 - Sam Bradford - never made the playoffs
2011 - Cam Newton - 3 playoff wins (3-4; 0-1 in Super Bowl), first coming in 4th season
2012 - Andrew Luck - 4 playoff wins (4-4), first in 2nd season
2015 - Jameis Winston - never made the playoffs as a starter
2016 - Jared Goff - 3 playoff wins (3-3; 0-1 in Super Bowl), first coming in 3rd season
2018 - Baker Mayfield - 1 playoff win (1-1), coming in 3rd season
2019 - Kyler Murray - first playoff game tomorrow
2020 - Joe Burrow - 1 playoff win (1-0), first coming in 2nd season
2021 - Trevor Lawrence - never made the playoffs

I didn't know how this would look ahead of time. There are a lot more playoff wins overall than I expected, so perhaps that's a nice general reflection on the institution of number one overall QBs. Only two others were able to get a playoff win as quickly as Joe Burrow though (both bolded). Technically Trevor Lawrence still can.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stripes said:

I decided to look back at all of the quarterbacks taken #1 overall (exception for Rivers since he was in a weird spot) since 2000 to see how their postseason careers went/have gone.

2001 - Michael Vick - 2 playoff wins (2-4), first coming in his 2nd season
2002 - David Carr - never made the playoffs
2003 - Carson Palmer - 1 playoff win (1-3), coming in his 13th season for a different franchise
2004 - Eli Manning - 8 playoff wins (8-4, 2-0 in Super Bowl), first coming in his 4th season ||| Philip Rivers - 5 playoff wins (5-7), first coming in 4th season
2005 - Alex Smith - 2 playoff wins (2-5), first coming in his 7th season
2007 - JaMarcus Russell - never made the playoffs
2009 - Matt Stafford - 0 playoff wins (0-3)
2010 - Sam Bradford - never made the playoffs
2011 - Cam Newton - 3 playoff wins (3-4; 0-1 in Super Bowl), first coming in 4th season
2012 - Andrew Luck - 4 playoff wins (4-4), first in 2nd season
2015 - Jameis Winston - never made the playoffs as a starter
2016 - Jared Goff - 3 playoff wins (3-3; 0-1 in Super Bowl), first coming in 3rd season
2018 - Baker Mayfield - 1 playoff win (1-1), coming in 3rd season
2019 - Kyler Murray - first playoff game tomorrow
2020 - Joe Burrow - 1 playoff win (1-0), first coming in 2nd season
2021 - Trevor Lawrence - never made the playoffs

I didn't know how this would look ahead of time. There are a lot more playoff wins overall than I expected, so perhaps that's a nice general reflection on the institution of number one overall QBs. Only two others were able to get a playoff win as quickly as Joe Burrow though (both bolded). Technically Trevor Lawrence still can.

Great run down.  If you go back to 1998.  It took Peyton Manning, I think 6 seasons to get his first playoff win. 
 

People forget there was a lot of heat on him for not being able to win the big game after they got destroyed by the Jets in the playoffs.  They would even go back to his days against Spurrier and the Gators. 
 

Its great for Joe to be 1-0.  Stalls a lot of narratives.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Stripes said:

For another less meaningful first-in-a-while: the Bengals have outlasted the rest of the AFC North on the season (something I don't recall ever happening when 2+ teams in the division made the playoffs).

Technically speaking, it’s a first. More loosely, same 31 years, as they were the last team standing in the AFCC in 1991 before losing to the Raiders, having beaten the Oilers the week before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 101Airborne said:

Glad to see the Steelers are one and dumb. I would have enjoyed the Bengals raking them over the coals a third time this season but a quick exit from the playoffs in a blowout is fine too!

A win by the Steelers would meant a trip to Buffalo...I was rooting hard for KC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Ogunjobi can get a contract here for next year.  Seems like a good dude, he did basically what we wanted.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s been consistent through his career but he had more sacks this year 7, then any season before 5.5. He cost 6.2 million for this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×