Divisional Weekend: Bengals @ Oilers

HoosierCat

3 minutes ago, cincyhokie said:

The DT situation is not good. I guess Tyler Shelvin is not playing well at all. Might have to sign a couple of players this week. Assuming Wren and Tupou can’t go.

Dehner said to expect some pickups

Shelvin looked like poop in Cleveland

Glad to see the Steelers are one and dumb. I would have enjoyed the Bengals raking them over the coals a third time this season but a quick exit from the playoffs in a blowout is fine too!

24 minutes ago, Stripes said:

For another less meaningful first-in-a-while: the Bengals have outlasted the rest of the AFC North on the season (something I don't recall ever happening when 2+ teams in the division made the playoffs).

I love every one of these, as they are one less factoid for the media to go on and on about year after year. Wanna talk Bengals, let's bring up the most meaningless facts about when they last did X!

• Like 1

I decided to look back at all of the quarterbacks taken #1 overall (exception for Rivers since he was in a weird spot) since 2000 to see how their postseason careers went/have gone.

2001 - Michael Vick - 2 playoff wins (2-4), first coming in his 2nd season
2002 - David Carr - never made the playoffs
2003 - Carson Palmer - 1 playoff win (1-3), coming in his 13th season for a different franchise
2004 - Eli Manning - 8 playoff wins (8-4, 2-0 in Super Bowl), first coming in his 4th season ||| Philip Rivers - 5 playoff wins (5-7), first coming in 4th season
2005 - Alex Smith - 2 playoff wins (2-5), first coming in his 7th season
2007 - JaMarcus Russell - never made the playoffs
2009 - Matt Stafford - 0 playoff wins (0-3)
2010 - Sam Bradford - never made the playoffs
2011 - Cam Newton - 3 playoff wins (3-4; 0-1 in Super Bowl), first coming in 4th season
2012 - Andrew Luck - 4 playoff wins (4-4), first in 2nd season
2015 - Jameis Winston - never made the playoffs as a starter
2016 - Jared Goff - 3 playoff wins (3-3; 0-1 in Super Bowl), first coming in 3rd season
2018 - Baker Mayfield - 1 playoff win (1-1), coming in 3rd season
2019 - Kyler Murray - first playoff game tomorrow
2020 - Joe Burrow - 1 playoff win (1-0), first coming in 2nd season
2021 - Trevor Lawrence - never made the playoffs

I didn't know how this would look ahead of time. There are a lot more playoff wins overall than I expected, so perhaps that's a nice general reflection on the institution of number one overall QBs. Only two others were able to get a playoff win as quickly as Joe Burrow though (both bolded). Technically Trevor Lawrence still can.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stripes said:

I decided to look back at all of the quarterbacks taken #1 overall (exception for Rivers since he was in a weird spot) since 2000 to see how their postseason careers went/have gone.

2001 - Michael Vick - 2 playoff wins (2-4), first coming in his 2nd season
2002 - David Carr - never made the playoffs
2003 - Carson Palmer - 1 playoff win (1-3), coming in his 13th season for a different franchise
2004 - Eli Manning - 8 playoff wins (8-4, 2-0 in Super Bowl), first coming in his 4th season ||| Philip Rivers - 5 playoff wins (5-7), first coming in 4th season
2005 - Alex Smith - 2 playoff wins (2-5), first coming in his 7th season
2007 - JaMarcus Russell - never made the playoffs
2009 - Matt Stafford - 0 playoff wins (0-3)
2010 - Sam Bradford - never made the playoffs
2011 - Cam Newton - 3 playoff wins (3-4; 0-1 in Super Bowl), first coming in 4th season
2012 - Andrew Luck - 4 playoff wins (4-4), first in 2nd season
2015 - Jameis Winston - never made the playoffs as a starter
2016 - Jared Goff - 3 playoff wins (3-3; 0-1 in Super Bowl), first coming in 3rd season
2018 - Baker Mayfield - 1 playoff win (1-1), coming in 3rd season
2019 - Kyler Murray - first playoff game tomorrow
2020 - Joe Burrow - 1 playoff win (1-0), first coming in 2nd season
2021 - Trevor Lawrence - never made the playoffs

I didn't know how this would look ahead of time. There are a lot more playoff wins overall than I expected, so perhaps that's a nice general reflection on the institution of number one overall QBs. Only two others were able to get a playoff win as quickly as Joe Burrow though (both bolded). Technically Trevor Lawrence still can.

Great run down.  If you go back to 1998.  It took Peyton Manning, I think 6 seasons to get his first playoff win. 

People forget there was a lot of heat on him for not being able to win the big game after they got destroyed by the Jets in the playoffs.  They would even go back to his days against Spurrier and the Gators. 

Its great for Joe to be 1-0.  Stalls a lot of narratives.  

9 hours ago, Stripes said:

For another less meaningful first-in-a-while: the Bengals have outlasted the rest of the AFC North on the season (something I don't recall ever happening when 2+ teams in the division made the playoffs).

Technically speaking, it’s a first. More loosely, same 31 years, as they were the last team standing in the AFCC in 1991 before losing to the Raiders, having beaten the Oilers the week before.

13 hours ago, 101Airborne said:

Glad to see the Steelers are one and dumb. I would have enjoyed the Bengals raking them over the coals a third time this season but a quick exit from the playoffs in a blowout is fine too!

A win by the Steelers would meant a trip to Buffalo...I was rooting hard for KC