Divisional Weekend: Bengals @ Oilers

HoosierCat

Holy shit...  What a day and game that was.

Not to be funny, but I said they were going to win this game.  Had we had any semblance of an o-line, we blow them out.
Who cares who you have, what your seed is, or any of that other bullshit.  Go execute and they did.
Well, except for the o-line.  Someone needs to file a missing persons report for that group.

Yes, all the players that most seem to identify with (Burrow, Chase and a couple others) did a great job.
However, can DJ Reader please get much praise for living in the Titans backfield ALL GAME LONG ??
How about Tre Flowers special teams play in that game ??  Just absolute animal in coverage making big time tackles.

We were watching at the house and just exploded when Wilson picked off the Apple tipped ball (great play).
Then McPherson did what he's done all season long and crushed what would have been good from 60.

This is so much fun guys !!!  Glad to see some of the posters come back to the site that have been away.

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOOO !!! 

I watched the first half, then went to my son’s basketball game (he’s a senior, didn’t seem right to miss it though he said just stay home and watch the game).

So my plan was maintain radio and phone silence and come home and watch the second half without knowing the outcome.  

How do you think that went?  I lasted about two minutes in the gym, out comes the phone and I started monitoring the score.  They win and I start telling all the parents sitting around me, “the Bengals won, McPherson is so clutch, blah blah blah.”  They’re all like great, whatever.  

Got home and watched it, watched it again this morning.  Two things jumped out - 9 sacks, but our qb never showed up his o-line, never showed frustration.  It was just on to the next play.  He’s a real leader.  Second, the Titans’ game plan was run that big back, but he rarely got those first three or four steps clean, because DJ Reader constantly disrupted their running game.   Loved it.  

• Like 1

After some time to reflect, here is what is rattling around my head this morning:

---the play of our D-line was outstanding. Lining Shelvin up at nose and flanking him with Reader and Hill and then Hendrickson and Hubbard outside them was a really excellent coaching move and gave them the approach they needed to slow up the Titans run D enough. That's yet another props for Anurumo.
---That Burrow could take that beating and still STILL complete 75% of this throws and have the only pick be the Perine  screw up is just incredible to me. I don't know how many other QBs could still perform like that in those circumstances - and have the confidence to anchor and deliver the last pass to Chase to get in McPherson's range. Like none of the rest of the game had happened. He's just different.
---Speaking of different, not only is McPherson leg talented, but a supreme bonus that he comes equipped with the kind of mindset you want from your kicker - and he's just 22. I can't get over Burrow's story about McPherson taking one more warm-up kick on the sideline before going out and saying "looks like we're going to the AFC championship". I mean...damn.
---Back on the defense, the LB play from Pratt and Wilson was as good as we have seen from that group in a big spot on this team in decades. DECADES. Hell, that Johnston play stopping Henry on the 2-point conversion probably was a game saver as it turned out. Add in Bailey on the 4th and 1 stop (w Reader anchoring) and the LB corp was exemplary.
----I know Chido had a rough game in coverage, but...the tackle he made on the last Titans drive to avoid the Henry stiff arm and keep him from the edge on the first play of that drive may also have been game-saving.
---I still hear ZT take a ton of shots and skepticism from national commentators but...damn. How can anyone look at where this team is and seriously question him. It occurs to me that his play calling may look uneven maybe because of (checks notes) the line he is calling plays with?
---Same comment on national types - but---has everyone forgotten that playoff football very much looks like what we saw yesterday? Cold, defense, special teams, turnovers, etc. Brady, Manning, Rodgers, name a great QB and check their playoff histories and you will see plenty of games that were defensive struggles that had to be managed to move on. Burrow played exactly that kind of game yesterday and took care of the ball.
---I can't believe we are here. It is literally at least one year early. Roster re-build not complete until line is addressed. And yet, we are in the AFC championship game. Gonna be strong underdogs, but who the **** cares. With this QB and these receivers and big plays always a possibility you literally never know. add in an under-rated defense and I don't put anything past them anymore.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ArmyBengal said:

Just out of curiosity, did they place the other two on Burrow ??
I don't know what the hell happened with Adeniji in that game.
Whatever it was, I hope it's out of his fucking system !!

I would guess so, and I hope so too. Put in Carmen, he can’t be that bad.

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

81?  PFF is on crack

Prince looked awful and whiffed massively on at least one play I remember. 

Adeniji on the other hand looked every bit of that 21

They have a hard decision to make this week....stick with Adeniji and his (got to be, at this point) wavering confidence or put Carman in

If its me, I put Carman in, and give them about equal practice snaps at ORG during the week so both are more or less ready to go. 

Got to make sure OLG is backed up as well, so XSF should be getting all those 2nd team snaps.  Honestly, tho, Spain has enough veteran savvy that hey could split the snaps evenly here too.  XSF just needs snaps to get rust off to get back to his slighltly lower than average play level after all that time out injured.

Not sure D'Ante Smith can be used for anything other than emergencies or jumbo package at this point.  I'd activate XSF over him.   MInd you, I like Smith a lot, but IMO he needs another offseason living in the weight rooms, adding another 5-10 pounds of muscle, watching film, and getting groomed.....preferrably as ORT or failing that as Swing Tackle.  I'd love to see Jonah take him under his wing

Really sad about the fall of the Big Johnson.  Its like he doesnt exist, though I have seen him play solidly good football many times.   My best guess is that there is a personality conflict going on.....and yeah, I get the value of the lockerroom chemistry on this team right now.  If one guy has to take a hit for it, I get it, just wish it wasnt Fred

One specific complain I want to address - there  were in my opinion far too many long pass routes called given how much pressure the Titans DL was generating on Burrow

Trent Green specifically called this out at least once during the game

If you're getting steady high pressure, get the ball out quickly on short (mostly) and intermediate (some) routes.  Trust your three elite receivers to get YAC.

I didnt see the TEs chipping much to help slow the ends before releasing into checkdown routes.  Same concept.

I hope to see a lot more focus in game plan for next week that accepts as a given that pressure is going to come against this OL 

Get the ball out quick.