Broncos Eye Callahan; Raiders Trey Brown: Giants Lou; Golden gets ND DC job

HoosierCat

The Denver Broncos have formally requested to interview current Cincinnati Bengals offensive coordinator Brian Callahan, a source confirmed Tuesday night.

Callahan, 37, has been the Bengals' offensive coordinator since 2019. Prior to his stint in Cincinnati, Callahan made stops at the Denver Broncos (2010-5), Detroit Lions (2016-17), Oakland Raiders (2018). 

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2022/01/11/nfl-black-monday-cincinnati-bengals-denver-broncos-jacksonville-jaguars-bears-afc-nfc/9180074002/

If Callahan is smart he looks at what is going on between the two organizations and it should be obvious.

One organization is looking to sell the team, has no QB, no structure, a lack of talent on their roster and is sitting home watching the playoffs.
The other is the Bengals...

I mean, he may want to be "the man" that goes in and builds that structure within a different organization.
If he does, I wish him luck.

I look at coaches the same way I look players when leaving an organization.
It's not always in their best interest.

• Like 1

Callahan needs to stick with a franchise that has a clear future full of winning opportunities. Otherwise he'll end up coaching a bad team for three years (maybe) and end right back up on the coaching carousel. How's Mike Zimmer doing these days?

My point exactly 101.

That saying about the grass not always being greener applies here. I always use to love the challenge of going some place new and trying to get things functioning better, but an NFL team is more complex.

They are hiring a coach and then will be selling the team. Will the new owners and him get along? Will they want to put money into the team? Will the new owners want a new GM? 

There’s simply too many questions in Denver to leave a team that is on a winning trajectory for the coming seasons. But what do I know? Money talks…

6 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

My point exactly 101.

That saying about the grass not always being greener applies here. I always use to love the challenge of going some place new and trying to get things functioning better, but an NFL team is more complex.

They are hiring a coach and then will be selling the team. Will the new owners and him get along? Will they want to put money into the team? Will the new owners want a new GM? 

There’s simply too many questions in Denver to leave a team that is on a winning trajectory for the coming seasons. But what do I know? Money talks…

Precisely, and though money does talk, if you gave me the option of making good money for an extended period and into the future or better money but with way more risk, I'm going with the safer bet. 

• Like 1

Problem with Denver is you will have the worse QB situation in division.   So that strategy has to come first for any new HC. 

Then at best you still will never have the best QB situation and be light in salary cap and draft picks because to get on par you would need  a Rogers type QB that’s going to cost you cap dollars and draft picks.     

8 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I would put the over / under until the new Broncos coach gets fired at 3 seasons.
Hell, I might be inclined to take the under to be honest.

That's precisely my bet, too. The Broncos weren't the worst team this year but the various factors just aren't leaning in favor of them having a quick turn around. I think they'll get worse before they get better. 

I think my son would disown the Texans if they hired Ward. Just another reason to love that kid.

How Ward would get consideration for a head coaching gig is beyond me. An intern to WR coach in college to an NFL head coach ?? My hatred aside, just not the direction I would want my team to travel in.

• Like 1