Broncos Eye Callahan; Raiders Trey Brown: Giants Lou; Golden gets ND DC job

HoosierCat

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

From Twitter:

Breaking: Jim Turner is no longer the offensive line coach at #TXST. Sources say he was let go for doing or saying something “controversial.” No further specifics than that right now. Brian Hamilton moved from TE coach to OL coach, while Boone Feldt moves up from GA to TE coach.

Incident happened a couple weeks ago and has been kept quiet. #TXST tweets and bio already wiped from @JimTurner_OL.

shocking.

• Like 1

On 2/2/2022 at 5:08 PM, HoosierCat said:

Was it though? Or was it more the exception that prove the rule? The idea that high draft picks leads to success is…not well supported by the evidence. If that were the case, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Detroit would be dynasties. And our opposition in a couple Sundays has been treating draft picks like poison; they can’t trade them away fast enough.

I do agree that an NBA style lottery might be in the cards.

As to whether the Bengals tanked for Burrow, I wouldn’t be surprised if that was part of Taylor’s thinking. But I can’t see Mike being part of that.

I don't want a lottery for the draft. The NBA is a league where one or two players can take a team from horrible to competing at a championship level. The same cannot really be said of football. I agree that the evidence shows that even a bunch of high picks can do literally nothing to change the fortunes of an NFL team. And while it is true that QB is the most important position, even a world class QB can be rendered useless by failures throughout a team. Even Burrow's amazing season this year would have gone nowhere if we didn't have a defense which kept us in games and got critical turnovers. I don't believe we tanked.

THAT game would be more interesting than the stupid Pro Bowl where lineman just stand up and talk for the play instead of rushing and blocking.
The game would MEAN something to those teams and give the fans of crappy teams a post season game of their own to cheer for.
Have it the Saturday before the Super Bowl and make a huge weekend out of it !!

I'm ALL IN on that idea !!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

I heard an interesting proposal the other day: replace the Pro Bowl, which is a joke these days, with a “playoff” game between the two worst teams for the No. 1 pick.

I’ve suggested in the past an entire playoff bracket for the bottom 8. There is one problem: is a quarterback for a crap team going to play his hardest to win a chance to draft his replacement?

Still, do it anyway. Fun.

This has been rumbling in the background for a few weeks, looks like it’s happening: LB coach Al Golden headed to Notre Dame as DC.

https://theathletic.com/news/notre-dame-expected-to-hire-bengals-al-golden-as-defensive-coordinator-source/fBHGa738XiRj/?source=twitterhq

Sucks a bit considering just how much Pratt and Wilson came on over the course of the season, but good luck to him.

• 3 months later...
On 2/15/2022 at 11:08 AM, HoosierCat said:

This has been rumbling in the background for a few weeks, looks like it’s happening: LB coach Al Golden headed to Notre Dame as DC.

https://theathletic.com/news/notre-dame-expected-to-hire-bengals-al-golden-as-defensive-coordinator-source/fBHGa738XiRj/?source=twitterhq

Sucks a bit considering just how much Pratt and Wilson came on over the course of the season, but good luck to him.

Just saw this.  No idea who they hired to replace him either, if anybody.