Broncos Eye Callahan; Raiders Trey Brown: Giants Lou; Golden gets ND DC job

HoosierCat

Well, this is a trainwreck. So, Brian Flores is suing the NFL for racial discrimination in hiring. Here's the complaint.

https://www.wigdorlaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/Complaint-against-National-Football-League-et-al-Filed.pdf

It's chock full of amazing stuff. For example, Flores says he got fired in Miami for refusing to tank in 2019 so they could get the first pick in the 2020 draft. (my emphasis added in bold):

He was fired by the Dolphins after leading the team to its first back-to-back winning seasons since 2003. The purported basis for his termination was alleged poor collaboration. In reality, the writing had been on the wall since Mr. Flores’ first season as Head Coach of the Dolphins, when he refused his owner’s directive to “tank” for the first pick in the draft. Indeed, during the 2019 season, Miami’s owner, Stephen Ross, told Mr. Flores that he would pay him $100,000 for every loss, and the team’s General Manager, Chris Grier, told Mr. Flores that “Steve” was “mad” that Mr. Flores’ success in winning games that year was “compromising [the team’s] draft position.”

Who did Ross want? It doesn't say but all we have to do is figure out who was on his boat...

After the end of the 2019 season, Mr. Ross began to pressure Mr. Flores to recruit a prominent quarterback in violation of League tampering rules. Mr. Flores repeatedly refused to comply with these improper directives. Undeterred, in the winter of 2020, Mr. Ross invited Mr. Flores onto a yacht for lunch. Shortly after he arrived, Mr. Ross told Mr. Flores that the prominent quarterback was “conveniently” arriving at the marina. Obviously, Mr. Ross had attempted to “set up” a purportedly impromptu meeting between Mr. Flores and the prominent quarterback. Mr. Flores refused the meeting and left the yacht immediately. After the incident, Mr. Flores was treated with disdain and held out as someone who was noncompliant and difficult to work with.

As to the racial hiring thing, he has text from Bill Belichick that Belichick thought he was sending to Brian Daboll, but instead sent accidentally to Brian Flores, congratulating him for getting the Giants job three days before Flores' interview.

Thus, on Wednesday, January 26, 2022, Mr. Flores was forced to sit through a dinner with Joe Schoen, the Giant’s new General Manager, knowing that the Giants had already selected Mr. Daboll. Much worse, on Thursday, January 27, 2022, Mr. Flores had to give an extensive interview for a job that he already knew he would not get—an interview that was held for no reason other than for the Giants to demonstrate falsely to the League Commissioner Roger Goodell and the public at large that it was in compliance with the Rooney Rule.

And that paragraph is followed by this gem (my emphasis added in bold):

Incredibly, this was not Mr. Flores’ first sham interview that was held only in an effort to comply with the Rooney Rule. Indeed, in 2019 Mr. Flores was scheduled to interview with the Denver Broncos. However, the Broncos’ then-General Manager, John Elway, President and Chief Executive Officer Joe Ellis and others, showed up an hour late to the interview. They looked completely disheveled, and it was obvious that they had drinking heavily the night before. It was clear from the substance of the interview that Mr. Flores was interviewed only because of the Rooney Rule, and that the Broncos never had any intention to consider him as a legitimate candidate for the job. Shortly thereafter, Vic Fangio, a white man, was hired to be the Head Coach of the Broncos.

lololololol

I expect that the NFL will force the Miami owner to relinquish control, or possibly even sell the team, if the charges can be supported

My guess is that while he will be Jerry Richardson'ed, it wont happen immediately.  He may last another season.  Maybe. 

Strange thing is, tho, that each of the major sports leagues seem to engage in tanking for draft position, even the NBA where they have the lottery system to help limit the value of tanking.  Its not exactly hidden, albeit every team that engages in it wont explictly acknowledge that they are tanking

I am also gonna guess that Flores has poisoned any chance he has of ever getting another coaching job.   No one wants a whistleblower.  No one will be able to trust a whistleblower no matter whether the truth was spoken or not. Even as a lower level position coach.  Same as your own employer doesnt want you publicly airing any matters private to the organization you work for.  I suspect Flores will retire with a very nice lawsuit settlement bankroll which will be enlarged via a provision that he can never write a tell-all book or speak of the matter(s) again 

The public sentiment on Mike Brown really taking a turn these last few weeks. Not only are we in the Super Bowl and I (and others) felt good for the old man but...Mike Brown would NEVER pay to lose games. We did that naturally. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Yup.

Eh, not really.    What Pete Rose actually did will never be known until the case files are opened up which his legal team fought to have them sealed and accepted the ban.    Pete first lied about betting on the Reds entirely then owned up to betting on them to win.     He should be banned from baseball.    The MLB and HOF are idiots by holding to their no banned players in the HOF rule.   Fix that rule and the sympathy for Pete not being able to hold a job in MLB goes away. 

The NFL part is interesting although that is still an allegation at this point.   Those 2 points shouldn't be considered fact especially since Pete Rose accepted the ban in order to keep the facts sealed.

19 minutes ago, membengal said:

The public sentiment on Mike Brown really taking a turn these last few weeks. Not only are we in the Super Bowl and I (and others) felt good for the old man but...Mike Brown would NEVER pay to lose games. We did that naturally. 

Au contraire. Mike paid lots to lose games, probably billions if you add up the last three decades. He just didn’t do it on purpose :D

20 minutes ago, membengal said:

I'm not beating this drum until after the Superbowl, but in short IF the national media, fans or anybody that holds on to the "90s bengals world view" they should be shot on sight.

1 minute ago, HoosierCat said:

Au contraire. Mike paid lots to lose games, probably billions if you add up the last three decades. He just didn’t do it on purpose :D

Yeah.   You could have asked that question of Mr. Brown in the 90s.   There is cap floor mainly because of him.  The effort/desire to win games at that point could certainly be questioned, but he never made his strategy known while he was trying to sell tickets to those games but basically he was sucking cash out of the team to buy a controlling ownership and fix his tax problem.

Integrity is in the eye of the beholder because there was no shortage of Bengal fans wanting to tank in order to draft Burrow.

• Like 1

You can tank without, you know, TANKING. You can't pay your coach to tank games. You CAN decide to start Ryan Finley during a winnable 3-game stretch when you are 0-8...not saying, just saying...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I honestly don't care much about any of it.
I could feel one way or another, but I don't know anything about it or how often it happens.
I could guess that it is at least a discussion that happens with every team every season.
That being said, I have no earthly idea.

I have better things to worry about in life.

I’ve believed the Bengals tanked to get Burrow since they benched Andy.  “Need to see what we have in Ryan.”  Right.  Ever hear of preseason games?  A 4 game tryout during the regular season, sure.  I doubt Mike paid for it.  

If any team knew the purgatory of being mediocre to the point of not being good but not being bad enough to grab a top quarterback, it was us.  And an Andy Dalton works against you.  Can’t win Jack shit but still good enough to keep you around .500.  

Teams tank for draft picks for one reason - because it works.  Zac Taylor’s 2-14 season in 2019 was a complete and unqualified success.  

One last thought - the NFL will have an nba style draft lottery soon enough.

One more thought - the NFL is to some degree to blame in this.  The rule changes that favor offenses, the way the game has evolved into such a QB-centric sport, these things have created a position that has such outsized and out of proportion influence on your success that teams will now do just about anything to get a good QB.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, COB said:

Teams tank for draft picks for one reason - because it works.  Zac Taylor’s 2-14 season in 2019 was a complete and unqualified success.  

Was it though? Or was it more the exception that prove the rule? The idea that high draft picks leads to success is…not well supported by the evidence. If that were the case, Cincinnati, Cleveland and Detroit would be dynasties. And our opposition in a couple Sundays has been treating draft picks like poison; they can’t trade them away fast enough.

I do agree that an NBA style lottery might be in the cards.

As to whether the Bengals tanked for Burrow, I wouldn’t be surprised if that was part of Taylor’s thinking. But I can’t see Mike being part of that.

I honestly don't think the Bengals tanked at all. Not even the Finley games. At 0-8 it was clear Dalton wasn't doing it, so you might as well try the guy you drafted -- can't get worse than winless. They were just very fortunate on two fronts:

1) Dalton's miraculous comeback against the Dolphins fell short in overtime.

2) They decided to be 2-14 level terrible during the Joe Burrow season.

• Like 1

From Twitter:

Breaking: Jim Turner is no longer the offensive line coach at #TXST. Sources say he was let go for doing or saying something “controversial.” No further specifics than that right now. Brian Hamilton moved from TE coach to OL coach, while Boone Feldt moves up from GA to TE coach.

Incident happened a couple weeks ago and has been kept quiet. #TXST tweets and bio already wiped from @JimTurner_OL.