Wild Card Weekend: Raiders @ Bengals

HoosierCat

10 minutes ago, Stripes said:

I'm listening to Jonah's presser now, and I get so irritated listening to these reporters' questions.

Have you heard the Bengals haven't won a playoff game since 1872??? How do you feel about that??? Are you just trying to win one???

Yeah, well, it’s going to be the story until it isn’t. Aggravating, I agree, but completely predictable.

Preliminary disclaimer: none of this has any bearing on Saturday's game against the Raiders. I am aware. Nonetheless, it's a bit of a bugaboo that sticks in my brain and something I would love to exorcise beyond just "no playoff win since Jan 1991".

2009 Bengals
AFC North champs at 10-6
7th against the run at 98.3 yards per game
T7th in yards per carry allowed (3.9)
Wild card game vs. Jets:
Shonn Greene and Thomas Jones combined for 36 carries for 169 yards (4.7 ypc)

2011 Bengals
AFC wild card at 9-7
10th against the run at 104.7 yards per game
T8th in yards per carry allowed (3.9)
Wild card at Texans:
Arian Foster and Ben Tate combined for 33 carries for 190 yards (5.8 ypc)

2012 Bengals
AFC wild card at 10-6
12th against the run at 107.2 yards per game
T12 in yards per carry allowed (4.1)
Wild card at Texans:
Arian Foster had 32 carries for 140 yards (4.4 ypc)

2013 Bengals
AFC North champs at 11-5
5th against the run at 96.5 yards per game
T16th in yards per carry allowed (4.0)
Wild card vs. Chargers:
Ronnie Brown, Danny Woodhead, and Ryan Matthews combine for 36 carries for 183 yards (5.1 ypc)

2014 Bengals
AFC wild card at 10-5-1
20th against the run at 116.3 yards per game
T18th in yards per carry allowed (4.2)
Wild card at Colts:
Daniel Herron and Zurlon Tipton combined for 23 carries for 96 yards (4.2 ypc)

2015 Bengals
AFC North champs at 12-4
7th against the run at 92.3 yards per game
T23rd in yards per carry allowed (4.3)
Wild card vs. Steelers:
Jordan Todman and Fitzgerald Toussaint combined for 28 carries for 123 yards (4.4 ypc)

For each wild card game, I only featured yards rushing from actual running backs. I didn't include quarterbacks or wide receivers on reverses etc, because I don't think that's a standard notion of "run defense". However, if they're included, the Colts and Steelers games get worse.

For the Bengals of Marvin Lewis and Mike Zimmer/Paul Guenther, this problem was epidemic. It was, as far as I am concerned, the most confusing and disappointing trend of the 2010s playoff period. Even when the Bengals were a good run-stopping team, they completely shat the bed in the playoff game over and over against the run. This absolutely cannot be allowed to happen in Saturday's game, especially with the temperature and weather situated to facilitate a run-heavy game. The Raiders are probably going to lean heavily on Josh Jacobs, and we cannot afford a performance resembling anything above in this post.

2021 Bengals
AFC North champs at 10-7
5th against the run at 102.5 yards per game
T15th in yards per carry allowed (4.3)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

13 minutes ago, Stripes said:

Preliminary disclaimer: none of this has any bearing on Saturday's game against the Raiders. I am aware. Nonetheless, it's a bit of a bugaboo that sticks in my brain and something I would love to exorcise beyond just "no playoff win since Jan 1991".

2009 Bengals
AFC North champs at 10-6
Wild card game vs. Jets:

2011 Bengals
AFC wild card at 9-7
Wild card at Texans:

2012 Bengals
AFC wild card at 10-6
Wild card at Texans:

2013 Bengals
AFC North champs at 11-5
Wild card vs. Chargers:
Ronnie Brown, Danny Woodhead, and Ryan Matthews combine for 36 carries for 183 yards (5.1 ypc)

2014 Bengals
AFC wild card at 10-5-1
Wild card at Colts:

2015 Bengals
AFC North champs at 12-4
Wild card vs. Steelers:
Jordan Todman and Fitzgerald Toussaint combined for 28 carries for 123 yards (4.4 ypc)

For each wild card game, I only featured yards rushing from actual running backs. I didn't include quarterbacks or wide receivers on reverses etc, because I don't think that's a standard notion of "run defense". However, if they're included, the Colts and Steelers games get worse.

For the Bengals of Marvin Lewis and Mike Zimmer/Paul Guenther, this problem was epidemic. It was, as far as I am concerned, the most confusing and disappointing trend of the 2010s playoff period. Even when the Bengals were a good run-stopping team, they completely shat the bed in the playoff game over and over against the run. This absolutely cannot be allowed to happen in Saturday's game, especially with the temperature and weather situated to facilitate a run-heavy game. The Raiders are probably going to lean heavily on Josh Jacobs, and we cannot afford a performance resembling anything above in this post.

2021 Bengals
AFC North champs at 10-7

***damn this is a goodass post.

48 minutes ago, Stripes said:

2009 Bengals
AFC North champs at 10-6
Wild card game vs. Jets:

2011 Bengals
AFC wild card at 9-7
Wild card at Texans:

2012 Bengals
AFC wild card at 10-6
Wild card at Texans:

2013 Bengals
AFC North champs at 11-5
Wild card vs. Chargers:

2014 Bengals
AFC wild card at 10-5-1
Wild card at Colts:

2015 Bengals
AFC North champs at 12-4
Wild card vs. Steelers:

2021 Bengals
AFC North champs at 10-7

Yeah under Marvin Lewis the entire team performed well below the level they had established during the regular season.

As a fan, I just want to see a win.   But it would be nice to have your front line players actually perform too.   

I think AJ Green had 1 TD in all those playoff games.  Atkins would disappear.   Chad?  List goes on and on. 

I would not disagree with the run d having a tough day in each of those playoff games. But I would argue that in each one those numbers were inflated by an opponent just running clock against a team that couldn’t score. In those six games the Bengals scored 14, 10, 13, 10, 10 and finally a high of 16 against Pitt. That’s an average of a little over 12 points a game. Teams could run it all day on us because we couldn’t do crap on offense.

Now, why couldn’t we do crap on offense? Well, among other reasons, we kept coughing up the fukking ball. In those six games the Bengals are -11 on turnovers. In four games the Bengals were anywhere from -2 to -4, in the other two turnovers were even at 1 each. Not once did they go without at least one giveaway.

There are plenty of other reasons they lost these games as well, but I have to put “can’t score points” pretty high on my list.