Week 18: Bengals @ Browns

HoosierCat

16 minutes ago, membengal said:

Guys, I am still a bit weepy. Did that really happen? Did Joe burrow just outduel Mahomes in a must win game?

Yes, it did. Now dry your eyes and buckle up, because all that means is that the easy part is over. ;)

That’s the funny part - we NEVER win a truly big game under marvin - not really. Not ever. I think the hard part just happened - watching this team rise to the challenge in a huge game as underdogs and win. Everything feels possible now.

• Like 1

I actually just read on espn that the Bengals could pick up the 1 seed if in essence the sun rises in the west, as follows:

"The Bengals can clinch the No. 1 seed in the AFC in Week 18 with a win over the Browns and losses by the Titans, Chiefs and Patriots, or a win and a Bills win plus losses by the Titans and Chiefs."

so Im sayin' theres a chance :-)

• Like 1

also, does New Guy have the record for most times sacked in a season?

If not, does he have the chance to pick up that record next week against a fearsome Browns pass rush?

I know everyone wants to see New Guy play next week, but I am torn......I honestly think a rested Burrow and seed 4 gives us a better chance of winning a playoff game than a hurting Burrow and seed 3.  Id rather see us win a playoff game than have him pad his records.

One other thing.  Spain's injury put Carman at OLG, which is the closest he has gotten to his college position of OLT.  Ill take it as assumed for now that Carman starts at OLG next week (yes, I know that XSF can be activated).  Spain is a FA at years end.  Is Carman gonna be our OLG next year?

35 minutes ago, TJJackson said:

also, does New Guy have the record for most times sacked in a season?

If not, does he have the chance to pick up that record next week against a fearsome Browns pass rush?

I know everyone wants to see New Guy play next week, but I am torn......I honestly think a rested Burrow and seed 4 gives us a better chance of winning a playoff game than a hurting Burrow and seed 3.  Id rather see us win a playoff game than have him pad his records.

One other thing.  Spain's injury put Carman at OLG, which is the closest he has gotten to his college position of OLT.  Ill take it as assumed for now that Carman starts at OLG next week (yes, I know that XSF can be activated).  Spain is a FA at years end.  Is Carman gonna be our OLG next year?

Not close as far as record both Klingler and David Carr had 70+ sacks their rookie years.  Burrow is still in the mid 50's

They could pick up all of those, but how hurt are some of these guys that’s what we need to know. If guys are iffy you might want to sit them and let them rest. I’m all about that number 1 seed or even the number 2, but if guys are banged up and need the extra rest, I would rather be full strength for the playoffs?

I think a lot will depend on the Browns. Their playoff hopes are gone, winning any more games only hurts their draft position and their starting QB needs surgery. Shutting him down makes a lot of sense (and I wonder if Mayfield wouldn’t welcome it since there’s still the question of whether he’ll be there moving forward). Plus like a lot of other teams they signed a bunch of FAs to one year deals due to the covid salary cap dip, so if you’re a FA on the team you’re starting to think about being healthy for March right about now. So forget next week, I’ll be very interested to see what they look like and do tomorrow night. If they do choose to pack it in I can see the Bengals resting starters, but we’ll have to await developments.