Chase, Hendrickson, Mixon Make Pro Bowl; Burrow Named Comeback Player

HoosierCat

Impressive 3 to the pro bowl.  These 3 fit the Bengal "pro bowl" mode with undeniable stat lines.     Bengal DBs typically can't get pro bowl nodes without  Ints OR it will take years of PFF saying their coverage grade is outstanding.

I thought there way too many Browns players.   That team gets media love for sure.

10 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

Happy for all of the them.

For a season most labeled as a rebuild season, this is a pleasant bonus.

My feelings exactly.  What a season so far.  I’d love to see a playoff run this year.  Regardless, the future is so bright.  Compare our situation with the Steelers.  We’re building for the future, they’re clinging to a sinking blob of shit.

43 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Related 

Please let this happen!  He was dominant and played a long time at a high level.

If he played on a winning  team he would be mentioned in the same breath as Ogden. 

If you switch out Dillon and Anderson for Eddie George and whatever lineman.  Dillon and Anderson are HOF and the 2000 Super Bowl Ravens would never have happened. 

From Adam Rank NFL.com:

I believe Willie Anderson (OT, Cincinnati Bengals, 1996-2007; Baltimore Ravens, 2008), another first-time finalist, has a real shot at getting in. Anderson received three All-Pro nods in Cincinnati, which would be like six anywhere else. Hey, don't get mad at me. Joe Burrow was the one talking about how there's not a lot to do in Cincinnati.

Can’t argue with Tanier here.

Ja'Marr Chase deserves the Offensive Rookie of the Year award after his spectacular 11-catch, 266-yard, three-touchdown performance in the Bengals' 34-31 win over the Chiefs.

And no, Walkthrough will no longer be entertaining arguments in favor of that kid in the Tom Brady footie pajamas.

Chase delivered one of the greatest performances I have ever seen from a wide receiver in the most important Bengals game since the mid-2010s. The Bengals trailed 14-0 and looked ready to go belly-up when Chase took a short comeback from Joe Burrow and weaved 72 yards for a touchdown. They trailed 21-7 when he adjusted for a back-shoulder 18-yard touchdown while blanketed up the left sideline. His 69-yard touchdown on a Chiefs coverage lapse cut the score to 28-24. Most impressively, he hauled in yet another back-shoulder throw up the left sideline while well covered for 30 yards on third-and-27 to set up Evan McPherson's game-winning field goal. In between, he turned multiple screen passes into productive gains.

Yes, Mac Jones threw three touchdowns in a 50-10 win over the Jaguars. Brian Hoyer could have led the Patriots to a 47-10 win over that opponent. The Bengals just clinched the AFC North because of Chase. The Patriots are a playoff team because they are the Patriots, their schedule was squishy in the middle, and Jones is excitingly adequate.

But quarterbacks are inherently more valuable than anyone else, right? Right. So give Jones all the "Most Valuable Rookie" awards you want. There's nothing about "value" in the name of the award, so there's no reason to revert to analytics orthodoxy. Frankly, selecting Jones over Chase right now sounds less like analytics than QB WINZ in a Scooby-Doo disguise.

Some of you may remain unconvinced, and we know more than a few of you are diehard Patriots fans. So here is one final thought experiment. The Bengals and Patriots may well face off in the playoffs. Imagine for a moment the Bengals win. How, in your imagination, do they do so? Almost certainly due to outstanding play by Chase. Now imagine the Patriots win. What's the storyline after that game? If you are being honest, it would probably be "Bill Belichick found a way to stop Chase." Jones' handoffs and little shallow crosses will merely be a subplot, win or lose.

'Nuff said.

Now, can Walkthrough interest you in ignoring another big Cooper Kupp game and voting for Jonathan Taylor for Offensive Player of the Year instead?

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/walkthrough/2022/tua-tagovailoas-tipping-point

• Like 1

Zac Taylor deserves it. Considering there was a bunch of question marks around the team and last year's performance, I don't think anyone thought the Benagls would be as good a team as they are this year. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure the man is crazy. How the hell do you not kick the fucking field goal there? 

Considering that teams started turning their focus towards Chase and limited his production when a Burrow acknowledged not having to force the ball to Chase, yet Chase is still 4th in yardage in the NFL on a team that was suppose to be a cellar dweller.

Love or hate Zac, he simply deserves coach of the year after his team took the AFC North. Really silly arguing about that much.

When Zac pulled Andy Dalton and started Finley and probably cost the Bengals some meaningless wins (in 2019) his number 1 job became: develop a franchise QB.

He's done that.    I don't really understand the fans that want to shift credit away from ZT because he has Burrow(nobody here).   That was the point.   I don't really understand the play calling focus in losses that the team loses the TO battle by more than 2.

He's got a division title, double digit win season in his 3rd year.   Make him COY.

Every single one of us would have taken that deal on the day he was hired.   2 losing seasons.   10 wins, Division Champ in 3rd year with franchise QB settled.

IMO, from this point on ZT is measured on getting Burrow to a Superbowl.   If they run into a playoff brick wall in the future then you fire a former COY. 

• Like 1

Everyone learns and ZT is not an exception to that rule.  I assume he learns as he goes and will continue to improve as a coach as well.
Can't forget he was starting from scratch in his first opportunity and inherited a team that was anything but that.

Are there things to continue working on ??  Sure, but I suspect that will happen.

The front office needs to continue doing what they have to this point under him and get him what he needs to succeed.

As I've said before, the bottom line for a head coach is wins. Win and you stay, lose and you don't. It's often not a fair measure of how a coach is doing either way, but that's what you sign up for when you take this job.

Right now the Bengals are winning and winning in style so Zac is king. They start faceplanting on the regular again and the torches and pitchforks will come back out.

My $0.02: Zac is pretty good at the "head coach" part of the job. The players like him and play hard for him. As to the offensive playcalling duties he has assigned himself, we have seen clear improvement over the course of this season. Same with his game management. The one red flag remaining is in game prep and planning. Once again Sunday we saw the team come out flat as a pancake and ended up spotting the Chiefs 14 points as a result. Fix that and they'll be unstoppable.

As for coach of the year? Sure, why not?

Something I noticed pertaining to the OROY race…

Mac Jones in 2021: 16 games, 332/491, 67.6%, 3,540 yards, 7.2 yards per attempt, 21 TDs, 12 INTs

Andy Dalton in 2011: 300/516, 58.1%, 3,398 yards, 6.6 yards per attempt, 20 TDs, 13 INTs

Can anyone look at a Bengals fan with a straight face and say “slightly better rookie Andy Dalton deserves OROY more than the greatest rookie wide receiver season of all time”?

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Stripes said:

Something I noticed pertaining to the OROY race…

Mac Jones in 2021: 16 games, 332/491, 67.6%, 3,540 yards, 7.2 yards per attempt, 21 TDs, 12 INTs

Andy Dalton in 2011: 300/516, 58.1%, 3,398 yards, 6.6 yards per attempt, 20 TDs, 13 INTs

Can anyone look at a Bengals fan with a straight face and say “slightly better rookie Andy Dalton deserves OROY more than the greatest rookie wide receiver season of all time”?

I think Jones is going to prove to be a good starter but I hope that train of him being ROY has derailed.   It would be criminal not to give it to Chase.   1st rookie since Moss to win Player of the week twice, I think I saw that posted.

• 2 weeks later...

The voting process is so bad for all-pro.

50 people place votes, and whoever has second-most votes in a position group gets second team. Even if it's 49-1. That's why Taylor devoured running back and there's a vacancy on the second team. I have no idea why that nonsense hasn't been fixed yet. It would be so simple to just allow voters to rank some names.

• Like 1