Week 16: Ravens @ Bengals

HoosierCat

15 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Re Carmen & Adenji 

I just wonder how they define pressure?   Does it account for QB holding the ball because I think Joe looks a hell of a lot more confident 2nd half vs. 1st half and he's holding the ball looking for big plays.

Case in point:  The strip/sack vs Chargers.  That was a cover 2 look.  First read was the deep cross.  It was there.   However, the design of the routes caught Chargers in a mistake and Chase was free for a TD.   Burrow hesitated and went for it and got sack/fumbled.   Not a bad decision, just a fortunate play for the Chargers.  Split second more its a TD or chunk play.

However how does that get graded by these stat services?   He goes deep cross, ball would have been out and probably a nice gain pending how fast defender closed. 

Higher pressure rate from an eyeball test says Burrow is holding the ball because he's more confident and he's looking to do damage. 

You know what I never realized in my younger years ??  And this is probably because I never played football...

I always viewed the game from above.  In the stands at a game, on TV from a high camera point of view.  Whatever.
I remember going to a game and sitting close to the field and saying, "Man I can't see shit in the game down here".

That allowed me to realize that the players don't see things from the perspective I watch from.
What I think is obvious from that vantage point is lost on the field.
While I can see Chase streaking down the sideline after torching his guy doesn't mean the QB does.

I makes me appreciate the precision of the game more and guys like Burrow who just feel that shit.

Congrats to Burrow !!!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...