Week 14: Niners @ Bengals

HoosierCat

so while I have worked every Sunday all season long, an 8-4 schedule today afforded me the chance to try out a local sports bar and watch my very first game of the season

My conclusions - and this wouldnt change even if they had pulled out the win

1.  this is a poorly coached team who has immense untapped offensive potential, stymied by waaaaaaaay too conservative play except when the situation becomes desperate, as it was when the Bengals were down 20-6 late.  This team should be playing fast, bu it isnt until it is forced to play that way

2. This isnt a playoff team.  The early season victories and a possible fade by the Ravens and/or the Browns may mean we do get into the playoffs, but this isnt a team that I'd expect to win a playoff game.  No, make that - I'd be shiocked if they won a playoff game.  A good shocked, but shocked nonetheless.

3. The weakness on the OLine is showing heavily.  Yes, its better than last year, tho thats faint praise indeed.  No, its not even average yet, imo, despite what some stats may show.

4. Erikson was unspectacular at the end of his time here but at least he caught the ball.  Do we have a guy who can hold onto punts and kickoffs?   Is there a guy on someone's PS who can?  at the sports bar I was at, people who calling for no returner, just let the Niners just down the ball whereever so we retain possession.  If I am running this team, the two KR/PRs they used would both be released on Monday.   How big is that injury to Brandon Wilson looking now?

5.  The reverses and fake reverses to Chase need to go away.  Scheme with him as a WR, not a running back.   I am glad to see he got 2 scores today, but it was too little too late.

6. I am shocked Burrow isnt out injured yet.  I will credit the guy with a ton of toughness, in addition to his many many many positive traits.  We definitely made the right choice there. 

7.  The wings at Jimmy B's Sports Bar and Grille (on Ohio PIke in Withamsville) are better, bigger, and cheaper than BW3 or Wings and Rings.  Couple next to me had chips, salsa, and queso and the order was legit -  fresh fried chips, and they ooed and ahhed over the salsa and queso.  Much better than I expected at a dive sports bar.   Recommended.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, cincyhokie said:

Zac Taylor ain't it. That's for sure. 

Nope. I am pleasantly surprised at the number of folks on Bengals Twitter who have come to the same conclusion tonight. Unfortunately I suspect Zac already has enough wins to get at least another year. So the pain will continue.

22 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Disappointing result but eventually this young core will break through to greater things.  

That taunting on Von Bell end of half was the difference.  Don’t fumble kick off.  Don’t get a taunting and they win. 

Great atmosphere in the Jungle today. 

I agree, was it coaching to cause Phillips to muff two punts?  Was it coaching that cause McPherson to miss a sub 50 yard kick?  Was it coaching that caused Bates to drop an easy INT?

Like it or not, this wasn't a coaching loss....young team, young coach growing together.  Irreparable damage would be done to jettison him now.

1 minute ago, Wraith said:

I agree, was it coaching to cause Phillips to muff two punts?  Was it coaching that cause McPherson to miss a sub 50 yard kick?  Was it coaching that caused Bates to drop an easy INT?

Like it or not, this wasn't a coaching loss....young team, young coach growing together.  Irreparable damage would be done to jettison him now.

The things you mention are a focus, preparation, and discipline issue. If it was one game in many, that’s one thing. This is a pattern. It’s about the coaching.

Taylor won’t be fired. But he has zero business being the play caller.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

Nope. I am pleasantly surprised at the number of folks on Bengals Twitter who have come to the same conclusion tonight. Unfortunately I suspect Zac already has enough wins to get at least another year. So the pain will continue.

Look at the line coach if you want play blame game, IMO.  Personally I think players should be accountable first but SF had cover 2 a lot and they couldn’t run it.  Burrow had a bunch of pressure. 

Just now, cincyhokie said:

The things you mention are a focus, preparation, and discipline issue. If it was one game in many, that’s one thing. This is a pattern. It’s about the coaching.

Taylor won’t be fired. But he has zero business being the play caller.

I don’t recall a pattern of dropping kick returns prior to the game and they benched the problem. 

it was a shitty play by Phillips plain and simple.

Can’t run against 7 man fronts cover 2?  What coach is going to solve that via play calling?  Seriously?  

5 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

I don’t recall a pattern of dropping kick returns prior to the game and they benched the problem. 

it was a shitty play by Phillips plain and simple.

Can’t run against 7 man fronts cover 2?  What coach is going to solve that via play calling?  Seriously?  

I’m speaking to the mistakes in general happening multiple times in multiple games. This isn’t about casting blame, it’s about responsibility and accountability. It’s core tenants of leadership. Good coached teams don’t do what the Bengals did the last 2 games. Luckily, they have the raw talent to overcome a self imposed deficit. They are fortunate to be 7-6 with a -5 turnover ratio.

Another example is the days off given when they beat Pitt and Baltimore. It’s culture and leadership. Not blame and ego. Speaking of ego, ZT needs to let go of play calling. Will he?

11 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Yes but a good coach/play caller doesn’t stall the momentum of his best playmakers by running the ball in a game where there was zero run game. Situational awareness. 

Second straight week ZT has blamed himself for some sort of playcalling derp. I’ve been patient all year and generally picked up what he’s put down.

No mercy now. 24-0 against LAC in “the biggest game of the year to us”. Special teams turnover clown show and another offensive dud in the first half tonight. I am blaming Taylor. He isn’t the only problem, but he’s the biggest problem.

• Like 1

Just now, cincyhokie said:

Yes but a good coach/play caller doesn’t stall the momentum of his best playmakers by running the ball in a game where there was zero run game. Situational awareness. 

Again what play caller is beating cover 2 with the inability to run the ball?  

You act this is some easy solution.  It’s not and it’s a bad point.  

2 minutes ago, Stripes said:

Second straight week ZT has blamed himself for some sort of playcalling derp. I’ve been patient all year and generally picked up what he’s put down.

No mercy now. 24-0 against LAC in “the biggest game of the year to us”. Special teams turnover clown show and another offensive dud in the first half tonight. I am blaming Taylor. He isn’t the only problem, but he’s the biggest problem.

Blame Pollack.  He’s the run game guru.  Can’t run with 2 safeties parked at the hash marks 15 yards deep all game long ? 

1 minute ago, AMPHAR said:

Again what play caller is beating cover 2 with the inability to run the ball?  

You act this is some easy solution.  It’s not and it’s a bad point.  

Situational awareness. He has little feel for it. Why would you run when your QB is on fire? https://twitter.com/FOX19Jeremy/status/1470198377837117440?s=20

Just now, AMPHAR said:

Because they had several negative plays throwing and the brilliance of Burrow avoided a handful more going against cover 2. 

The HC agrees with the majority of us. He played to “not lose”. The passing game was the best option to WIN the game in a game winning situation. Not the run game.