Week 10: Bengals @ Bye

HoosierCat

On 11/12/2021 at 1:26 AM, Stripes said:

Good teams lose to bad teams sometimes. Good teams get up and do something about it. We’ll see, Bengals.

The whole division is crammed within one game. Gonna be a wild second half.

Yeah they just usually follow it up with a better, not worse, performance.  So we'll see if the bye helps I guess, or if the team is truly regressing.

Carlos Dunlap chucked an opponent’s shoe downfield.  Seahawks were down 3-0 at the time, but with Carlos’ help (15 yard shoe throwing penalty), Green Bay scored their first TD and went up 10 to zilch.  

Seahawks lose 17-0, and fall to 3-6.  Carlos!!

• Haha 1

Yeah, I get it and have said it myself about when the Bengals had the best record in the AFC.
However, what does that matter 3 weeks later ??  It just seems petty to me and lacks understanding of current reality.

While people can and will argue about whether the Bengals are contenders or not, the fact of the matter is that there is a lot of football left to play at this point.  The teams are so close to one another that in a single week, most of the teams currently in a playoff spot could change. That means the Bengals, who Joe whoever is taking a shot at, could be right back in it again.  If you were to fast forward another 3 weeks, you could find the Bengals tied for the first seed again.

Just drop it already.

At this point I would put the number of contenders in the AFC North at zero. The Bengals are too easily dominated in the trenches on both sides of the ball. Even with Ben, the Steelers are a shell of their former selves. Baltimore has a chance in every game because Lamar, but that won’t be enough in the postseason, if they even get there. And Cleveland is Cleveland. The Bengals aren’t the only cursed Ohio football team.

Could one of these teams pull their collective heads out of their collective asses in the second half? Sure, stranger things have happened. And somebody has to go to the playoffs, so who knows. But right now I remain unimpressed with the whole division.

Bengals are contenders.  Years ago to cut down on teams resting starters for multiple weeks they back loaded schedules with division and conference games.  As a result;   In the old 16 game, 6 playoff team format a team that was 5-5 after 10 typically controlled their own destiny for division and/or wildcard spot.    Sometimes 4-6 would work.

I'd say with 17 games and 7 playoff teams a 4-6 team probably controls its own destiny. 

Using the 4 win mark after 10 there's 12 contenders for 7 spots.