Week 9: Browns @ Bengals

HoosierCat

18 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

Just want to point out that we don’t really know yet if Ossai is all that.

Not saying he is, but I do feel confident he is a lot better than the mid-round schlock they have behind him, that and they're not using Hodge for whatever reason.  They are sorely missing a 3rd edge guy in their rotation that's any good. 

I have said it many times through the seasons and will say it again, they do not put enough into the linebacker corps.
I can like Wilson all day long (and I do), but that is a unit overall that leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion.

You have to go back to 2008 to find a 1st round LB (Rivers) and 2009 for a 2nd round LB (Maualuga).
In the last 12 seasons, you can't find one before the 3rd round.

Just saying...

EDIT: Give me the linebacker equivalent of JaMarr Chase in the 2022 first round and lets roll. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Not saying he is, but I do feel confident he is a lot better than the mid-round schlock they have behind him, that and they're not using Hodge for whatever reason.  They are sorely missing a 3rd edge guy in their rotation that's any good. 

I don’t disagree, I just don’t want them going into FA & the draft next year thinking they have the problem licked because Ossai will be healthy. Yes he’s looked promising but he also hasn’t taken a single live nfl snap.

6 hours ago, HoosierCat said:

I don’t disagree, I just don’t want them going into FA & the draft next year thinking they have the problem licked because Ossai will be healthy. Yes he’s looked promising but he also hasn’t taken a single live nfl snap.

Yeah just making a point I guess.  I certainly would expect they're going to draft or sign another edge rusher next year, at least I'd hope, but it would not be beyond the Bengals' to just put all their chips on Ossai for that role again either.

4 hours ago, membengal said:

One thing I'd advise his players not to do, is lead with your helmet down like that when tackling - if he's going into him with this shoulder pads and facemask up, which is proper technique, that call doesn't happen most likely.  I didn't agree with the call, or the rule in this case, as I think when the offensive player lowers their head and leads with the crown of the helmet also, you either off-set the call or warn both players.

1 hour ago, volcom69 said:

I would love to see them throw in some no huddle offense, maybe that would help with a faster start. I always felt when Burrow runs the no huddle it goes very smooth. 

Yeah the o-line is really struggling early, every week it seems like.  Do something creatively different at least,  script something, no-huddle, I don't know, but stop losing these close games.  They've lost 3 games by a total of 9 points I think.  It's just getting stupid.  Taylor has talent, win games you should at least.

May as well move this convo over to this thread as long as it impacts the upcoming game: OBJ barred from practice again today

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32550538/odell-beckham-jr-excused-cleveland-browns-practice-2nd-straight-day-amid-wr-uncertain-future-sources-say

Per the story, it increasingly sounds like he's out for Sunday:

Beckham appears to have played his final game for the Browns. According to multiple sources, Browns coach Kevin Stefanski addressed the team before Wednesday's practice and informed players that Beckham would no longer be a Brown as the team prepares for Sunday's game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Both Stefanski and Mayfield admitted Wednesday that they had not heard from Beckham since his father's Instagram posts went viral.