Week 8: Bengals @ Jets

HoosierCat

21 minutes ago, COB said:

Can Flacco learn their offense in 5 days?  He can probably absorb enough to play Sunday.  Does he have enough time to invent, build, and utilize a time machine to turn the clock back 6 years?  Nope.

He was a Jet just last season. They didn’t bring him back b/c he sucked and he didn’t want to be a mentor to a young QB and went into the season with no vet backup. So now they trade draft capital to get him back. The gang green guys are laughing their asses off through the tears.

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/jets-trading-for-joe-flacco.96417/

37 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

He was a Jet just last season. They didn’t bring him back b/c he sucked and he didn’t want to be a mentor to a young QB and went into the season with no vet backup. So now they trade draft capital to get him back. The gang green guys are laughing their asses off through the tears.

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/jets-trading-for-joe-flacco.96417/

man, you were not kidding. That thread is awesome. This made me laugh out loud...

Flacco can help guys like Mims and Moore so there is a small upside. He wont do crap for Zach but give him cold looks.

But seriously, we had him, let him walk, didn't sign his replacement, and then traded to get him back.

Its stupid, but its also hilarious. Were like the children's table at Christmas.

Thing that worries me about this game are the amount of Int thrown by Burrow.   Bengals are -3 on the year TO margin. 6 ints have come on the road so they are bucking a major trend winning on the road despite that.  

I think that speaks to how good they’ve been and maybe how much better they can be.   But it’s playing with fire, Jets Defense I don’t think has an Int this year and through circumstance the source of their TOs isn’t playing via injury. 

They can not reduce the gap by being careless with the ball.   I think they have been to a certain degree.  Jets could jump up by simply not having a QB playing that’s thrown 11 so far.  Burrow has thrown 8. 

2 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

Thing that worries me about this game are the amount of Int thrown by Burrow.   

I’m the exact opposite.  I used to worry about these games.  In the past, coming off a big win, facing a depleted opponent, with a rookie or backup QB, it seems like this was a recipe for a stumble for our Bengals.  Now, Burrow is exactly why I don’t worry.  He’s not going to let the psyche of the team run away from him.  

Andy - “Let’s have fun and play together.”

Burrow - “Watch me win this motherfucking game for us.”

• Thanks 1

Loved the one against the Jags when down and speaking to the dude catching warm up balls:

"Give me the fucking ball.  It's time for me to take over."

In the same game, after putting them in position to win the game (which they did):

"Just put it in my hands.  It's over."

G*ddamn I love that dude.

Side note...  I can type "fucking" but not "G*ddamn".
Maybe that's God's way of telling me to change my heathen ways...

Interceptions aren't bothering me a lot at the moment. The overall numbers are skewed by the Chicago game. Subtract that and you have 5 picks across the other 6 contests. That's 5 more than you want, obviously, but IMHO it doesn't rise to the level of concern.

I think we are gong to have to accept a certain level of interceptions given our QB and his style of play. The end zone pick in the Ravens game is the perfect example. Burrow wants to put the ball in the corner of the end zone and let his receiver (Chase in this case IIRC) go up and make a play on it. He has supreme confidence in his receivers and no compunction at all about throwing up jump balls. Unfortunately the oline fails and there's pressure in his face from the snap of the ball, so he ends up throwing not just off his back foot but also actively falling backwards and the throw comes up a bit short and gets picked. He'll learn from that, but he's still going to play with fearlessness and confidence, and that's going to bite him occasionally. As long as we keep getting more TDs than interceptions, I can live with that.

• Like 1

Some more musing about possible flex scheduling today in the Enquirer.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2021/10/26/bengals-games-could-be-flexed-primetime-nfl-schedule-chargers-raiders-ravens-sunday-night-football/8548164002/

Clark is right there with mem eyeballing that week 13 Chargers game.

I'm not attempting to place blame so I don't want to go down that path.   If I think about what areas have been the Bengals weak spot the first part of the season what comes to mind is the INTs and the near miss INTs (which have been quite a few).

To focus on this game Wilson has thrown 9 INTs and he won't play.  White threw 2 in his appearance last week (I hope he plays and continues that trend)  

The rookie QB has been a disaster for NY.  Given up 20 sacks too. 

Jets could get a boost from having a Qb that's not going to throw the ball to the other team so pedestrian Flacco could be a boost to them simply by getting the ball out and playing small ball.   There's simply alot of negative plays that could go away with a unspectacular vet QB.    

My concern going into next Sunday is just that Jets have nothing to lose. They're 1-6, they're not making the playoffs, the coaching staff is likely updating their resumes and any player scheduled to become a FA in 2022 is probably worried more about injuries than the scoreboard right now. And on top of all that the Bengals are No. 1 in the AFC at the moment, coming off a beatdown of well-regarded team and widely expected to curb-stomp the Jets.

For New York, this is the epitome of a "screw it" game. Whoever's under center, just have them throw the ball all over the yard. Pull out every trick play in the playbook. No point in saving anything, this is basically your Super Bowl this year. Don't punt, don't kick FGs, go for it on every fourth down, just let it all hang out. If you lose, no big deal, that was expected -- and if you pull off the upset you just knocked off the (at least briefly) top team in the league and everyone's a hero. And has a job for another seven days.

If I'm Taylor that's the message I'm pounding home this week. We aren't just going to get the Jets' best, we're going to get everything plus the proverbial kitchen sink.

Great player, would love to have him...but I'm not seeing the need to fork over a first rounder for a corner at this point. Awuzie has been lights out and Apple has firmed up after a rough start. And who knows, we might even see Trae Waynes 2: Cornerback Boogaloo at some point before the end of the season.

And yeah, what Army said: pay Bates.