General AFC North thread

Stripes

6 minutes ago, AMPHAR said:

Why is the NFL dictating who can play and who can't based on what illness they have at this point?   Unless I've missed it there are few reported extended hospitalizations, deaths among team personnel. 

I would suggest your second sentence answers the question asked by your first.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

I would suggest your second sentence answers the question asked by your first.

That would be a bad suggestion as we know team personnel have tested positive and spread happens among team personnel.    Given the league 95%+ vax rate they boasted about.  You can determine this:

1. Their protocols don't limit infection or spread.  Clear at this point.

2. Vax doesn't not stop a positive test.  Clear at this point.

3. The outcome is similar to any other virus among NFL personnel. (Probably because of the Vax rate)

Hopefully the Browns lose but they supposedly have 99% vax players.  As a fan I'd be pissed at the thought of losing out on playoffs due to some out dated testing policy.

I'm not in a position to say much about their testing policy, but can say if what is being reported is true, the execution of the policy is flawed.
I think Mayfield was tweeting something about they aren't suppose to test vaccinated players and then they did that, but only for 3 teams.
I could have recalled that incorrectly, but again, I don't really care much.  Its not like I sit here thinking the NFL spits truth 24/7.
This is pretty much what I expect from them.

Well, the protocols were clearly working until about this week. I'd guessed that reflected the Thanksgiving holiday, people getting together for the first time in more than a year, etc. But if they changed the testing regime that could do it too. Only thing I've seen about changes was cutting down the time between a positive test and a return.

Per the nfl, the increase in positives is due to omicron showing up.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-covid-week-15-game-postponement

Makes sense since this variant is known to be far more transmissible than previous versions. Word so far is it causes less serious illnesses, so that's good. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-12-17/s-africa-says-hospitalizations-in-omicron-wave-much-lower?srnd=premium

• 3 weeks later...

A decently large YouTube channel called "AFC North Talk" with four young dudes semi-known in the podcast arena representing each team did division rankings for each position group in the preseason. The aggregate for quarterback was Bengals 3rd or 4th.

That aged well.

42 minutes ago, Stripes said:

A decently large YouTube channel called "AFC North Talk" with four young dudes semi-known in the podcast arena representing each team did division rankings for each position group in the preseason. The aggregate for quarterback was Bengals 3rd or 4th.

That aged well.

Just for fun the other day I googled a bunch of season predictions from last summer. Needless to say very few have aged well re the Bengals and the AFC North. Bengals were pretty much universally ticketed for last place and the Clowns were a runaway favorite to win the division.

Not surprising in the least.  Minus Stripes, did anyone else here peg them for a 10 win season and the AFCN Crown ??
I know I wasn't in that camp.  It appeared to be a clear next step in rebuilding that had some outcomes I wasn't expecting.
I didn't know what to expect out of Hendrickson or Awuzie, but both have been above average signings for them.
I didn't know how Burrow's knee was going to hold up and expected him to have an equal amount of mental hurdles to clear.
The o-line was a known issue and while still not great, it was enough to produce nearly three 1000 yard receivers and a top 3 RB.

I just thought there were some fairly significant issues heading into 2021, but they worked out better than I imagined.
Hendrickson is a pro bowler and Awuzie was a pretty big snub.
Burrow has been an absolute animal who is obviously wired differently.
The o-line, with all it's warts, has been good enough.

Oh, lets also not forget having a rookie kicker that has made his presence felt in the clutch and many 50+ yarders this season.
McPherson has been a huge asset for the team. Just saw he had the most 50+ FG's in the league with 9.

6 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Not surprising in the least.  Minus Stripes, did anyone else here peg them for a 10 win season and the AFCN Crown ??

Mem was extremely optimistic all off-season and into the actual season, he'd be the only one who would've had anything close to that.  

6 hours ago, ArmyBengal said:

I know I wasn't in that camp.  It appeared to be a clear next step in rebuilding that had some outcomes I wasn't expecting.
I didn't know what to expect out of Hendrickson or Awuzie, but both have been above average signings for them.
I didn't know how Burrow's knee was going to hold up and expected him to have an equal amount of mental hurdles to clear.
The o-line was a known issue and while still not great, it was enough to produce nearly three 1000 yard receivers and a top 3 RB.

I just thought there were some fairly significant issues heading into 2021, but they worked out better than I imagined.
Hendrickson is a pro bowler and Awuzie was a pretty big snub.
Burrow has been an absolute animal who is obviously wired differently.
The o-line, with all it's warts, has been good enough.

Oh, lets also not forget having a rookie kicker that has made his presence felt in the clutch and many 50+ yarders this season.
McPherson has been a huge asset for the team. Just saw he had the most 50+ FG's in the league with 9.

I wasn't on here posting over the summer but I had us pegged for 9-8, so I wasn't too far off, but then again I am always optimistic preseason. Then the actual season starts, we lose one of our first two games and I immediately implode into sarcasm, skepticism and alcoholism. We ended up 10-7 and I am predicting an appearance in the AFC championship game. We'll see how far that gets us before I implode into eye-rolling, hair-pulling and alcoholism.