Week 7: Bengals @ Ravens

HoosierCat

Again about Bates.  Can the Bengals please extend this man while he still hopes to get an extension from the Bengals ??
The longer this drags out, that narrative is going to change to, "I'm looking forward to checking out what free agency will bring me".

Boyd with you can't make everyone happy every game ??  Well maybe, but how much do you like winning ??
A trade to the Lions would guarantee you a SHIT TON of targets when looking at their WR corps.
However, then you have to deal with the fact you haven't won a single fucking game all season.

Honestly, I want MORE weapons, more options for Burrow, and improve the roster at every given chance.
There are a bunch of guys that I love on this team, but if someone better comes along, move along.
Historically this team has stuck with what they have and that philosophy needs to remain a thing of the past.

28 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

Again about Bates.  Can the Bengals please extend this man while he still hopes to get an extension from the Bengals ??
The longer this drags out, that narrative is going to change to, "I'm looking forward to checking out what free agency will bring me".

I'm pretty much resigned to that happening. in fact, I fully expect Bates to be in a different uniform come September 2022. Right now his estimated deal is 5 years, $71 million (see: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/jessie-bates-iii-25153/market-value/ ). The Bengals have never valued the safety position to  anywhere near that extent. On top of that, you have to look at the whole 2022 FA list. The team we see this year has a lot of prove-it deals. Reiff, Ogunjobi and Hill -- all of whom are playing well and making strong contributions -- are all here on one-year deals. Ricardo Allen and Quentin Spain are also on one-year deals. Uzomah is up next year. And of course 2022 is the halfway point of Burrow's rookie deal. Based on his performance so far and the deals being handed out around the league, he's probably looking to something north of $250 million. I guarantee you that number is already keeping the FO up at night.

Now, could they afford to keep Bates, sign Burrow and still hang on to some/all of those other guys? Of course. The cap is exactly as much of an impediment as a given team makes it. And we know how much of an impediment this team makes it. The idea of letting Jesse go, drafting his replacement (Sauce?) next April, and then using the savings to sign a couple of those prove-it guys and stash some cash for Joe has to be pretty attractive.

I can't remember which game Bates was out of, but go back and rewatch the defense in that one.
Totally different mindset and execution when he's not on the field.
I'm not saying anyone is advocating him leaving, just saying the guy is more valuable than some (front office) may be willing to admit.

I figure they'll find a way, either this offseason or next. I tend to believe that a lot of trends believed to be reflective of organizational philosophy are instead reflective of circumstance (perhaps moderated by organizational philosophy). We heard for years that the Bengals don't spend first round picks on the interior offensive line, only to see Kevin Zeitler and Billy Price as two IOL first round picks in the same decade. "They don't spend big on safeties" probably reflects [mostly] the fact that they haven't had a safety worth retaining for such a long time, or a free agent they've wanted/been able to land. The only example I can think of is Reggie Nelson, and they did lock him down for 4 years at $18 million in 2012 (not super comparable to Bates money, but also 9 years ago).

Mem: yup, they could tag him. I just have a feeling it will be all or nothing, either they'll bite the bullet and extend him or cut the cord.

COB: I agree completely. The fact players keep calling for it publicly says a lot. If I'm the Bengals FO I find a way to make it work.

Army: Like the song says, you don't know what you got 'til it's gone, and I would rather not find out.

Stripes: re organizational philosophy, I am really REALLY interested to see how FA plays out in 2022. They were very unconventional (for Cincinnati) last March, doing stuff like Reiff's void year and all the one-year deals. Was that just something that happened due to the unique cap circumstances caused by last year's COVID-cramped season? Was it a FO (read: Duke & Katie) going all out to try and save their failing choice at HC? Was it an actual change in operating philosophy going forward? I don't know. I tend to suspect more of the first two than the third, but they might surprise me. And I would be thrilled if they did.

It feels like a sea change has already occurred in terms of FA approach under this coaching staff and how it approaches team building under Tobin. I would expect that to continue going forward. 

• Like 1

It was the Jacksonville game that he missed.  Can't believe I couldn't remember that.  Getting old...

That being said, had it not been for Burrow taking over the game in the second half, that's an "L".
Bates was sorely missed in that game.

I was watching a Twitter interview with Bates and you could hear it in his voice already when talking about an extension.
"There are days, honestly, where I feel like, man, I'm throwing my body around".
Translation... I know this is a good team and i'm trying to say the right thing, but DAMN.

EDIT:  Here it is...