Week 4: Jaguars @ Bengals

HoosierCat

So…random fun thing that amused me in a good way. You know how mock drafts use current standings? Matt Miller’s new mock this AM is out and we are picking…23rd.  Was nice to have to scroll down for a bit to find us…

6 minutes ago, membengal said:

So…random fun thing that amused me in a good way. You know how mock drafts use current standings? Matt Miller’s new mock this AM is out and we are picking…23rd.  Was nice to have to scroll down for a bit to find us…

Out of curiosity (and since I let my subscription lapse) who did Matt have us selecting?

“23. Cincinnati Bengals — OT Charles Cross, Mississippi State

The Cincinnati Bengals were widely criticized for not drafting an offensive tackle in Round 1 of the 2021 NFL draft, opting instead for wide receiver Ja’Marr Chase. I was not one of those critics, explaining that the Bengals could go offensive line in subsequent rounds (they did) and develop Jonah Williams (a work in progress, but improved). But let’s not get carried away, offensive line is still a need and Mississippi State’s Charles Cross fits the bill of what the Bengals could be looking for in a future right tackle.“

PFF QB Comparison

Burrow - 79.9 OVR - 77 Pass - 70 Run

Lawrence - 46.6 OVR - 45.5 Pass - 64.3 Run

Advantage - Bengals

RB Comparison

Mixon - 79.0 OVR - 81.3 Run - 60.1 Rec - 31.0 Pass Blk - 60.0 Run Blk

Hyde - 74.3 OVR - 78.1 Run - 56.0 Rec - 70.0 Pass Blk - 60.0 Run Blk

Robinson - 65.4 OVR - 83.7 Run - 39.7 Rec - 29.5 Pass Blk - 60.1 Run Blk

Advantage - Bengals

WR Comparison

Chase - 75.8 OVR - 56.6 Run - 76.6 Rec - 58.4 Run Blk

Higgins - 73.5 OVR - 72.7 Rec - 62.9 Run Blk

Boyd - 70.9 OVR - 73.4 Rec - 66.2 Pass Blk - 46.7 Run Blk

Jones - 67.9 OVR - 69.7 Rec - 35.2 Run Blk

Chark - 66.0 OVR - 64.2 Rec - 74.7 Run Blk

Shenault - 56.6 OVR - 59.0 Run - 57.4 Rec - 65.3 Pass Blk - 62.0 Run Blk

Advantage - Bengals

Bengals are also showing positional advantages at Tackle, Interior Dline, Linebacker, Safety, Cornerback

While Jacksonville is showing positional advantages at Interior Oline and Tight End

Edge defenders are a mixed bag with Hendrickson being the highest rated edge defender but Jax having #2 and #3 (PFF has always hated San Hubbard)

I met Kenny Anderson just now! He came into Holy Grail which where geep and I had decided on for lunch. I got a chance to go over and thank him for the good memories growing up cheering for him and that I had flown back to cheer for him one more time. Even got to shake his hand. It was very cool and weirdly meant a lot to me. Life is strange and turning 50 has made me nostalgic.

• Like 3

Based on the radio show last night,  I think a bunch of teammates have made their way back for Kenny's and Anthony's induction.  

That's the hidden value in all of the ROH thing.   Alumni coming back and connecting with the franchise.   I think it sounded like they might be on the sidelines during the game. 

Of tonight's inductees, the only one I was alive for was Muñoz, and just barely (born 1987). I came of age while the Bengals of the '90s and early '00s were a punchline, and didn't really take notice of professional football until 2003, immediately after Ohio State won the national championship. It was coincidence that the Marvin era began at the same time, so perhaps I was fortunate to miss the worst of the worst. Still, ever since I really took on this fascination I have explored the history of the team inside and out and developed a sort of a posteriori affection for the players, teams, and personalities of the glory years I never got to see. It was really important to me to be able to make it to the game tonight, because, other than the 50-years team thing which was minimal fanfare, this is my first opportunity to really take part in the tradition of the franchise. I was technically a living breathing being during Super Bowl XXIII, but I probably spent the whole game sitting in my own shit. I have no memory of anything pre-Jeff Blake and have forged my own delayed understanding of who the Cincinnati Bengals are and what it means to be a fan. I'm stoked to see the unveiling tonight, maybe even more than I am for the football game.

I believe Kenny Anderson was a Jacksonville coach at one point, I think.

Anyway the best story post career was when he was QB coach here in Cincy.   Akili and co. all had nagging arm soreness in camp so Kenny threw 7 on 7 etc. and it was the the best day by any QB so far in camp.

Hmmmm kinda forgot Kenny won a Superbowl ring as Steelers coach on Tomlin's staff.

By almost any measurable statistic Kenny Anderson was a better QB than Terry Bradshaw.  They played in the same era against largely the same competition.  Terry has Kenny in TD Passes (212/197) but also threw 210 Ints to Kenny's 160.  Kenny has Terry in passing yards, completion %, QB Rating, Y/A and YPC and, oh BTW Terry was working with two HOF receivers while Kenny had none.  Terry was never a league MVP nor was he ever a passing leader for a season.  Kenny had 4 All Pros to Terry's 3......the list goes on.  Terry won the Super Bowls  had the wins but let's face it he was also playing on the greatest team of all time....as a player, Kenny was better than Terry.

If Terry is a Hall of Famer then Kenny was too...full stop.