Week 3 2021 - Bengals at Steelers Game Thread

membengal

Odell certainly was on fire his rookie season.  I always wondered how it would have continued later on.   Completely strange he would never step on the field after that Bengals playoff loss.  

Wilson is certainly more disciplined and could be the poster child for the next era of NFL LB.   Just need guys that can get in lanes and shrink windows and then hunt and tackle.

4 minutes ago, Stripes said:

As for a linebacker with ball skills, the one that comes to mind immediately is Odell Thurman.

Logan Wilson should be much more intelligent than he was.

Yeah, I discounted Odell just because we only had the one year from him. Leclair is the closest I can come to in my mind's eye. 

1 minute ago, Stripes said:

PFF grades on the offensive line are kind of terrible for this game in a way that makes me want to throw their analysis in the trash.

I contend that PFF is way better than what message board banter had before them, BUT they are not worth the credibility that they get and certainly shouldn't be taken as gospel.    Media references them all the time and its probably an actual paid advertisement.

Their credibility is on the line if Carman doesn't grade out very good.   He simply was dominate and nasty.  Certainly a type of player that most OL coaches would love to have (keep in mind its 1 game). 

My thoughts:

Zac Taylor took some unfair bullets after losing to the Bears, IMO.  Its simply hard to overcome -3 TO ratio on the road.

However,  this Steeler game is kinda a red flag for the offense in my eyes.  They should have 30+ in this game.   Two short field TDs.  1 chunk TD to Chase.

Mixon had a 20 yard carry and resulted in 0 points.   ZT and co.  has to find a way to get points there.    Then I think late game you gave Ben too many chances by simply not converting 1sts.

Defense is legit and deserves major credit.  As expected the national conversation is more about what the Steelers didn't do vs. what the Bengals did.    A lot of "Steeler need to run the ball more".     Well the reason they didn't was there were too many minimal gains or losses and they went the route of getting Harris the ball via short passes.   Credit to the defense that held Harris in check the whole game.  That guy Harris has a chance to be good, hopefully Pitt never figures out their OL the next decade and waste him.

3 minutes ago, Stripes said:

Yeah those grades are trash.   Really should be opening an eye to maybe their formula doesn't really paint an accurate picture.

The OL was physical and pushed the pile.  Mixon had multiple gash runs.   Pass pro held up most of the day off 18 attempts.   I think there might have been 2 pressures the whole game. 

Highest-graded players on defense for the #Bengals 1. Jessie Bates - 82.4 2. Trey Hendrickson - 80.3 3. Josh Tupou - 77.7 4. Vonn Bell - 76.6 5. Germaine Pratt - 73.5 What a balanced effort by the defense, many more guys graded-out well. Too many to name.

So Wilson isn't among the highest graded defensive players? It was a solid all around effort but its strange that the MVP from the game isn't on the list.  (He got the game ball in the lockeroom).

The problem with the OL grades this week is sample size. The Bengals only ran 42 plays (versus 73 for Pitt), so if a Bengal made a few mistakes, the effect is magnified. A Steeler who made the same number of errors wouldn't get dinged as much because of the larger number of snaps. This is especially glaring looking at pass protection this week, since the Steelers threw 58 times to the Bengals' 18.

What actually impressed me was that Carmen's PFF grade in pass pro was 68.9. He didn't have a lot of snaps and just a couple wiffs would have dumped his score. But 0 sacks, 0 pressures. And yeah, I know, Pitt's dline wasn't exactly the 1985 Bears (or even the 2021 Bears!) but still I think an impressive debut.

ETA: here’s the grades:

Oh yeah, I like keeping up with the results from the Billy Price trade as well.

B.J. Hill with his 3rd sack of the season yesterday.  Yes, nothing to dislike there.
He's closing in on already having 20% of the sack total for the Bengals entire 2020 season.

Billy Price ?? Not so good on a winless Giants team and a PFF grade of 48.2% for the season so far.