Week 2 2021: Bengals at Bears Game Thread

Stripes

I'm at a loss to find anywhere where anyone is dismissing the turnovers as anything other than crushing blows that can't happen. The only thing about this particular game that's notable about them is the relatively small impact on the scoreboard. With a 4-1 advantage in turnovers, you would expect a Bears blowout. Instead the net gain off turnovers was a whopping 3 points in Chicago's favor. The time that they kept the ball out of the Bengals' offense's hands was arguably more critical, though in that respect the Higgins fumble was the worst of all, since it meant that after their drive to start the second half, they basically didn't see the ball again until early in the fourth.

But that just begs the question of all the wasted time in the first half. And it was wasted because the game plan was predicated on fear, not on the talents of the players on the offense. Umbrella coverage? The game plan conceded the deep ball before the first snap. Is the best use of the Bengals' offensive talent handing the ball to Mixon and making short underneath grabs? They averaged about 3 yards a play in the first half. Worst of all, not only did the game plan neuter their best offensive players...it didn't work!!!! They couldn't move the ball, couldn't score and the Bears' pass rush wrecked Burrow despite the empty sets that were allegedly supposed to prevent this.

• Like 1

Its simple.  Bengals lost.   NFL history shows teams that lose the TO margin have their chances reduced to somewhere around the 20%.   The chances for success are further reduced as the TO disparity grows. Probably goes below 5% for a road team with a -3 margin.  

The reason for the TOs were poor execution by the players.   

The question begs an explanation why is there any other reason to look past that very clear reality? 

By rule of the game,  Zach Taylor  can't call offensive plays when his team doesn't have the ball.  So how do you look at game plan and play calls as a primary issue when in fact they never got a chance?  The 2nd half of the game was wrecked by careless QB play, poor pass protection and poor ball security. 

The fact they only lost by 3.  Is a huge credit to the defense and IT IS at odds with those questioning game plan because the plays work when Joe Burrow makes a good throw and the intended target catches it and holds on.   Amazing.

The last paragraph is exactly what needs to be said to Burrow and Chase IF there is a true beef with play calling in the lockeroom. 

On 9/19/2021 at 5:39 PM, ShulaSteakhouse said:

Sorry off-topic a bit and a rant I have get out of my system, but when did NFL games become Cosplay Conventions for weird, middle-aged white dudes?  Any ways, carry on.

Th

This has been a pet peeve of mine for several years.  It started with “Big Nut”, a guy who dresses up in a Halloween costume, goes to every Buckeye game, and gets on tv.  Same dynamic now in the pros.  

All I can figure is these folks are desperate for attention.  All those people at the game and at home watching tv are there to watch football and football players, but they’re a captive audience there to be exploited, I guess.  

So these desperate opportunists just figure if they make a complete spectacle out themselves, someone will look at them, someone will point a tv camera at them.  What that ultimately does for them, I do not know.   I’d be interested in Hokie’s input on what is going on with those folks, I do not get it.  

I don't care about any one dressing up or anything of that nature.
I've been following this team since I can remember (hint... that's a long time) and most would consider that insane.

That being said, I was completely unaware there is now an entire section of the Pro Football Hall of Fame dedicated to the fans of various teams.
I'm not sure how it works and can't say as I gave it more than a passing glance, but nonetheless, there is that.

Cosplay on my friend... cosplay on.