2022 NFL Draft

HoosierCat

I would be VERY interested to hear what Burrow has to say about former LSU teammate during 2019, OG Ed Ingram.

Ingram was suspended in 2018 for being arrested and indicted on sexual assault with a minor in 2017 and he was 19 years old.
He was reinstated in 2019 after all charges were dropped.  Does that mean he was innocent?  Of course not.
However, there apparently have not been any other concerns since that charge and Coach O at LSU immediately started him.

I would guess Burrow has some good information about the guy and IF he could speak to him, I think he would be a great add that could be had in the 3rd.
The Youtube highlights are pretty fun to watch, but there was an interview with Ryan Clark that was fun to listen to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdCelLRxAY4

Kiper’s updated OL rankings (top 4 tackles and Linderbaum are in his top 25):

Offensive tackles

1. Evan Neal, Alabama
2. Ikem Ekwonu, NC State
3. Charles Cross, Mississippi State
4. Trevor Penning, Northern Iowa
5. Nicholas Petit-Frere, Ohio State
6. Daniel Faalele, Minnesota
7. Bernhard Raimann, Central Michigan
8. Max Mitchell, Louisiana-Lafayette
9. Abraham Lucas, Washington State
10a. Kellen Diesch, Arizona State
10b. Jaxson Kirkland, Washington
10c. Andrew Stueber, Michigan

Guards

1. Zion Johnson, Boston College
2. Kenyon Green, Texas A&M
3. Darian Kinnard, Kentucky
4. Jamaree Salyer, Georgia
5. Sean Rhyan, UCLA
6. Lecitus Smith, Virginia Tech
7. Dylan Parham, Memphis
8. Marquis Hayes, Oklahoma
9. Ed Ingram, LSU
10a. Logan Bruss, Wisconsin
10b. Cole Strange, UT-Chattanooga
10c. Justin Shaffer, Georgia
10d. Thayer Munford, Ohio State

Centers

1. Tyler Linderbaum, Iowa
2. Dohnovan West, Arizona State
3. Luke Fortner, Kentucky
4. Cameron Jurgens, Nebraska
5. Zach Tom, Wake Forest
6. Nick Ford, Utah
7. Alec Lindstrom, Boston College
8. Doug Kramer, Illinois
9. Dawson Deaton, Texas Tech
10. Grant Gibson, NC State

Wow high praises for Linderbaum at #9:
“The best center prospect we've seen in the PFF College era. He was already the highest-graded center in the country in 2020, but he has taken his game to new heights in 2021, earning a 95.3 overall grade.”

My boy Devin Lloyd at #11:
“There may be no better all-around linebacker in the class. Take on blocks, blitz, cover tight ends - it doesn't matter because Lloyd can do it. It's why he earned an 89.2 grade this year with above-average grades in every facet.“

My WTF realization for TE prospect McBride:
“McBride put up an all-time season for the tight end position. In 12 games, he racked up 1,125 yards on 91 catches. That was over a third of Colorado State's passing yardage this season. Everyone knew the ball was coming his way, and he still dominated.“

I’m still in TJ’s camp for this draft….

• Like 1

well, yes and no, Mem

There is the now and there is the future

For the now, yes, gimme two high quality vets - an ORT and an interior OL - both of whom are expected to be above average starters at bare minimum.  I wouldnt object to three, with the third being another interior guy

For the future, we need to draft the long term solutions.  Someone needs to block for Burrow 5 years from now, too  

Do we see Smith and Carman as long term solutions?

I'm not saying they aren't, but I dont have any solid basis to say they are either, at least at this point

If we do believe in them, I'd love the 2022 depth chart to look like this

Jonah      Carman      Hopkins   OG-FA      ORT-FA

Smith       Spain          OC-DP      OG-DP     Adeniji

I like Adeniji a LOT better as a OT than a OG     

If Smith or Adeniji is markedly better at R or L, flip them  

I know Prince is starting now but I see him as the odd man out.  Hopefully he earns s a comp pick.   XSF will go as well. And Sutherland.  I like Fred but the current coaching regime doesnt seem to agree, so he's gone as well.

If Spain doesnt resign then that drafted OG-DP and/or OC-DP has to be the swing guard

I want them to keep 10 OLs rostered plus a C/G and a OT on the PS

I don't really see a spot for Hill, who hasnt shown much to date at all, except on the PS if even that.  We'll see

I have a sinking feeling that Hopkins is on the downside of his career, but thats just a feeling.   Anyone got his PFF scores for the last 5-6 games?

I don’t write off either smith or Carman as long term solutions. But they are also cautionary tales in relying on rookie linemen (needs time). I will beg for FA quality additions to address things. If they then see a good talent in a good spot in the draft so be it  - but I don’t want to rely on a rookie.

Getting those o-linemen as free agents would REALLY free up their approach during the draft.

CJ, along with Wilcox are UFA and ERFA's respectively now.
Sample is an UFA after 2022.

I would like to see them extend CJ and draft another TE with more upside than the others on the roster.
Have the Bengals ran many 2 TE sets this season ??  I'm not thinking I've seen that much, but thought I would ask.

Matt Miller's Top 50 prospects in the Senior Bowl:

The Reese’s Senior Bowl is the premier pre-draft all-star game, pulling in the top draft prospects each year but also serving as an unofficial NFL job fair, convention and trade show. Anyone who is anyone will descend on Mobile, Alabama the first week of February to evaluate the 100 plus prospects for the 2022 NFL draft class, but also to rub elbows with important decision-makers, agents, media members and coaches.

The 2021 Senior Bowl produced six first-rounders in a draft process marked by the Covid-19 pandemic. Over the last three seasons, 20 first-rounders have suited up in Mobile.

This year, the projected number is closer to 10 thanks to a strong senior group and a quarterback class that is one of the strongest ever to take the field at the event.

With no clear-cut QB1 at this stage of the process, six of the top seven ranked quarterbacks on my Big Board will suit up to show off their talents at the Senior Bowl; an event tailor-made for quarterbacks to prove themselves. Previous years have seen Carson Wentz, Baker Mayfield, Josh Allen, Daniel Jones and Justin Herbert all benefitting from the week of practices, closed-door sessions with NFL front offices, and a week of exposure to NFL coaching.

This year will be no different at Kenny Pickett, Malik Willis, Desmond Ridder, Carson Strong, Sam Howell and Bailey Zappe look to impress coaches and scouts.

As we enter the week before the Senior Bowl—where the Draft Scout team will be posted up all week providing you around the clock coverage—let’s preview the rosters with my Top 50 overall players along with a scout’s quote on each.

After spending a week texting and calling area scouts and college scouting directors for nuggets on each player, I think you’ll enjoy this piece.

Please note: Senior Bowl rosters change daily and are subject to change after this posting.

50. DL Zachary Carter, Florida

6’4”, 277 lbs, No. 108 overall

What scouts are saying: “Some disagreement about where to play him—he’d be a nickel interior rusher for us. Uses his hands well. Overpowered tackles when he was lined up on the outside. Immediate situational rusher value.”

49. OT Braxton Jones, Southern Utah

6’7”, 310 lbs, No. 107 overall

What scouts are saying: “Technique is awful, but if you can coach that up his athletic tools are very nice and he has the size we all want (at tackle). I don’t think you can put him on the field before Year 2.”

48. WR Romeo Doubs, Nevada

6’2”, 195 lbs, No. 105 overall

What scouts are saying: “Here’s your Day 3 deep threat target. Moves well tracking the ball deep. Good speed. Patient and poised. Good body control and adjusts to it nicely.”

47. WR Alec Pierce, Cincinnati

6’3”, 212 lbs, No. 104 overall

What scouts are saying: “Really average speed but good hands and solid routes. He’ll have to win with timing and technique because he’s not separating with speed or first-step quickness. Just looks really stiff all-around.”

46. OG Dylan Parham, Memphis

6’2”, 304 lbs, No. 103 overall

What scouts are saying: “Junk yard dog type of guard. Wins with leverage and toughness. Will get beat up by length and quickness but if you keep him in a phone booth he’ll tear people up.”

45. TE Isaiah Likely, Coastal Carolina

6’4”, 245 lbs, No. 102 overall

What scouts are saying: “Super productive; pretty much their go-to target. Easy mover. Not sure you’ll ever get him blocking at a high level, but he has value in that F-tight end role and as a mover pre-snap.”

44. TE Jeremy Ruckert, Ohio State

6’6”, 250 lbs, No. 91 overall

What scouts are saying: “Better run blocker than I see people crediting him as. Can play in-line or flexed. Good enough athlete. Seemed to just show up and make big plays when they needed them—in an offense that doesn’t ask much of the tight end in the receiving game.”

43. LB JoJo Domann, Nebraska

6’1”, 235 lbs, No. 90 overall

What scouts are saying: “I think you’re way too high on this guy. Injured, played out of position, and hasn’t developed. In a class with so many good linebackers, betting on a guy to make a position change from basically corner to linebacker is a risk.”

42. DL Perrion Winfrey, Oklahoma

6’3”, 300 lbs, No. 88 overall

What scouts are saying: “Very good pass-rusher but he’s one-dimensional right now. Maybe that’s okay with some guys, but his run downs are really bad. He’s quick, agile, athletic. Just doesn’t look very tough when the ball is coming at him.”

41. OG Justin Shaffer, Georgia

6’4”, 330 lbs, No. 87 overall

What scouts are saying: “Bet he’s a starting left guard within three years. Not flashy at all but just does the work really well. Especially in the run game. If you’re trying to win fist-fights up front, he’s your guy.”

40. CB Tariq Castro-Fields, Penn State

6’0”, 185 lbs, No. 86 overall

What scouts are saying: “Thought he regressed (at Penn State) and was much better in 2019 than he was last year. Think he was getting by on athleticism and once he had to play against good route-runners, his technique fell apart. Good developmental player but not a reliable starter yet.”

39. DT John Ridgeway, Arkansas

6’6”, 325 lbs, No. 85 overall

What scouts are saying: “Love how he plays but he lacks the quickness and overall athleticism to be an impact. Great kid and he has nice power, but at that size you need to be quicker and have more than one pass-rush move.”

38. EDGE Boye Mafe, Minnesota

6’4”, 260 lbs, No. 84 overall

What scouts are saying: “High IQ rusher who maybe lacks the moves needed to win consistently enough. Good hands and he’ll stay in on run downs. He’ll probably dominate at the Combine based off his tape.”

37. WR Jalen Tolbert, South Alabama

6’3”, 195 lbs, No. 83 overall

What scouts are saying: “Deep threat with big time speed down the field. Looks like a centerfielder the way he is patient and moves with the ball in the air. People are 100% sleeping on him.”

36. OT Abraham Lucas, Washington State

6’7”, 324 lbs, No. 82 overall

What scouts are saying: “He’s my sleeper pick at tackle. If he played on a better team there would be a lot more hype. Senior Bowl should do him well. I think he’s a starter-caliber player.”

35. WR Christian Watson, North Dakota State

6’3”, 196 lbs, No. 81 overall

What scouts are saying: “The hamstring (injuries) are a concern because those seem to pop up down the road, but he’s impressive on the hoof. Skies to win on jump balls. Has very good body control and concentration. Anxious to see how fast he looks in person.”

34. WR Khalil Shakir, Boise State

6’0”, 188 lbs, No. 80 overall

What scouts are saying: “Fun creator after the catch and in the open field. Versatile. Probably best fits in the slot where he’s not going to get jammed up a lot. Like his open-field moves though. Good player.”

33. OG Jamaree Salyer, Georgia

6’4”, 325 lbs, No. 78 overall

What scouts are saying: “Versatile—can play guard or tackle but we like him inside where his lack of length is covered a little bit. Kind of a soft-bodied guy but strong. Just old school strong.”

32. EDGE Myjai Sanders, Cincinnati

6’5”, 258 lbs, No. 77 overall

What scouts are saying: “Don’t let the lack of size fool you, he can ball. Long arms, big hands, some pop in his game. Didn’t think he developed as much as he could have the last two years but Covid kind of f—ked that up for everyone. He could shoot up boards with a big week in Mobile.”

31. LB Chad Muma, Wyoming

6’3”, 242 lbs, No. 76 overall

What scouts are saying: “Gonna get a lot of ‘sneaky athletic’ comments but he really is. Reminds me a lot of Logan Wilson when he was there. Probably drafted in that same Round 3 range but ends up a starting MIKE within the first two years.”

30. LB Channing Tindall, Georgia

6’2”, 230 lbs, No. 74 overall

What scouts are saying: “Super active and really aggressive ‘backer. Overshadowed by (Nakobe) Dean and (Quay) Walker but he’s an NFL starter. Would have been a good stack ‘backer 10 years ago. Does the dirty work but has athleticism.”

29. EDGE Amare Barno, Virginia Tech

6’6”, 245 lbs, No. 73 overall

What scouts are saying: “He’s really light and that’s hard to get past, but his explosiveness is nice. Little raw since he’s a JUCO transfer but he can play on the outside of a four-man front and cause problems for offenses.”

28. CB Marcus Jones, Houston

5’8”, 185 lbs, No. 72 overall

What scouts are saying: “Super, super athletic. He’s tiny, but plays so much bigger. And he has a chance to be one of the best returners in the league very soon. His four down value is really high.”

27. LB Damone Clark, LSU

6’3”, 245 lbs, No. 71 overall

What scouts are saying: “Athletic and long with really good range. Big time explosive and twitched up. Little slow to process at times, but he’s fast enough to make up for that most times.”

26. QB Carson Strong, Nevada

6’4”, 215 lbs, No. 70 overall

What scouts are saying: “The knee injury is scary, but we won’t know anything solid on that until Combine. I could see him lighting up Mobile because he has a really good arm and he’s a smart, experienced player and his lack of mobility won’t show up in practices or individual drills.”

25. QB Sam Howell, North Carolina

6’1”, 225 lbs, No. 69 overall

What scouts are saying: “Huge make or break week for him. He needs to come in with high energy, leadership, and throw the f—k out of the football. I wouldn’t focus at all on the mobility and playmaker s—t. Just lead and throw the ball versus trying to be a playmaker.”

24. QB Bailey Zappe, Western Kentucky

6’2”, 215 lbs, No. 68 overall

What scouts are saying: “He’s not going to wow you with any one trait, but watch him outplay a few dudes rated higher than him. Honestly, we’d take him over (Sam) Howell or (Carson) Strong. He’s smart, tough, accurate and has been a winner at every stop.”

23. RB James Cook, Georgia

5’11”, 190 lbs, No. 69 overall

What scouts are saying: “His grades will be all over the place based on scheme, but we love him. Third-down back, receiver, runner. The Deebo Samuel comps are gonna be there but he’s the reverse version of that—running back who can play receiver vs. receiver who can play running back.”

22. OT Max Mitchell, Louisiana

6’6”, 300 lbs, No. 67 overall

What scouts are saying: “A player I didn’t love on tape but can see his potential. Wouldn’t be shocked if what we see [in Mobile] is a lot better than his college tape and what we see at the Combine is even better than what we saw in Mobile. The potential is there.”

21. S Jalen Pitre, Baylor

6’0”, 212 lbs, No. 66 overall

What scouts are saying: “I’ve heard grades all over the place on him—front first round to Day 3. For us, he’s a nickel safety type who could have a good Year 1 impact. He’s not that different from a guy like Antoine Winfield, Jr. just not as big of a name.”

20. DL Phidarian Mathis, Alabama

6’4”, 312 lbs, No. 64 overall

What scouts are saying: “I think he’s really underrated. Probably not an elite tester and he doesn’t have elite production or anything, but he’ll be a super solid interior lineman who could play 1-or-3-tech for a long time.”

19. CB Coby Bryant, Cincinnati

6’0”, 198 lbs, No. 62 overall

What scouts are saying: “Thought he got beat up a little against Alabama, but his length and toughness are enticing. He’ll be a starter in the pros no doubt but not sure he has the speed and agility to be a top-tier guy.”

18. EDGE Jermaine Johnson II, Florida State

6’5”, 240 lbs, No. 61 overall

What scouts are saying: “His hype got a little out of control [on social media]. He’s a good player but doesn’t have the foot quickness or bend to be a Round 1 guy. He’s very, very straight-line in his speed.”

17. DL Logan Hall, Houston

6’6”, 260 lbs, No. 50 overall

What scouts are saying: “[The Senior Bowl] isn’t the best environment for him because he’s such a ‘tweener and will probably get beat up a little in one-on-one’s but his tape is really solid. I’ll be interested to see if he comes in heavier to try and land as a 5-tech or if he’s lighter to try and be more athletic.”

16. OT Daniel Faalele, Minnesota

6’9”, 380 lbs, No. 46 overall

What scouts are saying: “I’m excited to see him in person (for the first time). He’s massive but moves very well. The Senior Bowl can expose guys like that though. Remember Ra’shede Hageman? He looked like a monster until he had to bend his hips. Faalele will be a guy we’re all watching to see how he moves and bends.”

15. OG Zion Johnson, Boston College

6’3”, 310 lbs, No. 45 overall

What scouts are saying: “He’s a short, squatty dude but a mauler in the run game. He’s ideal for a zone blocking scheme thanks to his movement and ability at the second-level. He’d thrive somewhere like San Francisco or Arizona but is probably an early to mid second-rounder.”

14. OT Darian Kinnard, Kentucky

6’5”, 324 lbs, No. 44 overall

What scouts are saying: “Strong, long athlete with starting experience and he’s battle-tested by SEC pass-rushers. We like him at guard but know some like him at tackle. I’m not 100% sure his feet are good enough for the outside, but I’d bet on him starting in the NFL.”

13. TE Trey McBride, Colorado State

6’4”, 260 lbs, No. 39 overall

What scouts are saying: “Bar none, the best tight end in the class. Athletic, but also a very good run blocker. Can line up all over the offense for you because he has strength on his frame. No-brainer first-rounder.”

12. EDGE Arnold Ebiketie, Penn State

6’3”, 238 lbs, No. 38 overall

What scouts are saying: “People are sleeping on him right now. He’s light, but I bet he blows up at the Combine. Good kid, solid player, has a shot at Round 1.”

11. QB Malik Willis, Liberty

6’1”, 215 lbs, No. 36 overall

What scouts are saying: “He could take a big, big jump this offseason. The most athletic and biggest arm of the QBs. Hard to evaluate because of the talent around him. I could easily see a team falling in love with his traits.”

10. QB Desmond Ridder, Cincinnati

6’4”, 215 lbs, No. 35 overall

What scouts are saying: “His accuracy really took a leap this year. I see him as a good quarterback but not great in any one area. He’ll get a chance to start. Imagine a lesser-Marcus Mariota.”

9. CB Derion Kendrick, Georgia

6’0”, 195 lbs, No. 34 overall

What scouts are saying: “If you take away the off-field, he’s a top three cornerback in this class. Interviews will be enormous for him. But on the field, he’s a starting NFL cornerback.”

8. CB Roger McCreary, Auburn

6’0”, 188 lbs, No. 30 overall

What scouts are saying: “He’s smooth, athletic and smart. Just don’t think he’s really fast enough to be a true man coverage cornerback. Testing time will be big, but he can’t change that his tape isn’t that fast.”

7. LB Quay Walker, Georgia

6’4”, 240 lbs, No. 27 overall

What scouts are saying: “I actually think he’s the best linebacker (Georgia) had last year. He’s massive, too! Big, long, fast, athletic. He looks a lot like Tremaine Edmunds did coming out.”

6. DT Devonte Wyatt, Georgia

6’3”, 315 lbs, No. 26 overall

What scouts are saying: “He was such a huge impact player for them but didn’t get the love that (Travon) Walker or (Jordan) Davis did. But he’s a very good athlete. VERY.”

5. OT Bernhard Raimann, Central Michigan

6’7”, 290 lbs, No. 24 overall

What scouts are saying: “This could be a huge week for him. He’s athletic and looks strong on tape, but he’s also not really faced anyone of note. How well he handles big boys in Mobile will be the difference between Round 1 and Round 2.”

4. WR Jahan Dotson, Penn State

5’11”, 170 lbs, No. 22 overall

What scouts are saying: “He’s a burner but also a smooth route-runner. I don’t think he’ll climb like former speed guys (i.e. Henry Ruggs) but he feels like a Round 1 lock. Tennessee, Kansas City, Philadelphia…those are all good fits.”

3. OT Trevor Penning, Northern Iowa

6’7”, 321 lbs, No. 17 overall

What scouts are saying: “This will be a good test for him and he has a chance to really rise if he handles speed and power rushers. We have him as a late first [rounder] right now but that could change.”

2. QB Kenny Pickett, Pittsburgh

6’2”, 225 lbs, No. 16 overall

What scouts are saying: “The hand size issue is going to get a lot of play, but he spins it with good arm strength and has enough mobility to make plays. He’s safer than the other quarterbacks and really smart. I could see someone falling for him earlier than they should.”

1. LB Devin Lloyd, Utah

6’3”, 235 lbs, No. 14 overall

What scouts are saying: “He’s big, fast, and active. A legitimate playmaker who can play any linebacker spot in any defensive front. He could be a top 10 pick.”

• Like 1

yeah, yeah, yeah, I know, Super Bowl and all that, but we're just gonna have to multitask this year. The Senior Bowl is next weekend and the grind is underway with the ever-popular measurements! Are player X's arms too short? Hands too small? Balls too massive? Find out here:

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft/nfl-draft-2022-senior-bowl-measurements

Also more on the official site:

https://www.seniorbowl.com/stay-connected/

59 minutes ago, ArmyBengal said:

At least there's less guessing where we are going to pick at this point.

31 or 32 and I love that !!

It's definitely a sight for sore eyes.

That said, it might result in an unexpected choice. I keep seeing McBride at the bottom of a lot of first round mocks and it's tough to pass on the top TE for, oh, I dunno, the seventh or eighth OL to come off the board. If that's the case though there might be an opportunity for a trade, too. Jets seem interested in Trey and they've got a couple early seconds and a couple 4ths. Might get one of the latter for dropping to 38 if they are  dead set on need (OL) over BPA.

I’m a big fan of McBride as well and at that point, there’s worse things they could do. I’m fact, with CJ being a UFA if he doesn’t come back McBride would be a cheaper long term option to pair with the others.

I am NOT a fan of trading out of the first round and giving up the fifth year option. Stay there and live or die with whomever you take.

Schefter:

One of the draft’s projected top OT prospects, @jaxson_kirkland, has opted out of the 2022 Draft after learning an ankle injury he suffered at Washington was more severe than thought, per source. He will undergo surgery Tuesday with Dr. Robert Anderson and expects a full recovery. Jaxson Kirkland plans to petition the NCAA to play college football next season and then will be eyeing the 2023 Draft.

Some bits from espn's (paywalled) senior bowl coverage:

OTHER TOP PROSPECTS TO WATCH

Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa (National)

Scouts Inc. ranking: 16

Penning flat out dominated against inferior competition at the FCS level, so this is going to be a great test for him to compete against potential top-50 prospects. His performance in the one-on-one pass-rush drills will have a major bearing on whether he's still regarded as a big-time left tackle prospect or will have to shift to right tackle at the pro level. The 6-foot-7, 321-pound Penning has a fiery and aggressive mentality, and he'll need that in pass-rush drills. I put him at No. 25 in my debut mock draft; let's see if he can live up to that spot in practices. -- Kiper

SLEEPER PROSPECTS WHO COULD RISE

Isaiah Likely, TE, Coastal Carolina (American)

Scouts Inc. ranking: 84

Likely ranked second in receiving yards per game (70.2) and touchdown catches (12) for FBS tight ends this year, and his ability to produce after the catch might be his greatest strength. He's a smooth and instinctive open-field runner who flashes as a route runner. His versatility presents matchup problems, and he has the ability to make spectacular catches. Likely should get drafted on Day 2 and has a chance to be the third tight end drafted (behind Trey McBride and Jalen Wydermyer). -- Muench

Cole Strange, C/G, Chattanooga (National)

Scouts Inc. ranking: 100

Strange is a relentless scheme-versatile run blocker who started 44 games at Tennessee-Chattanooga. He is smooth getting set and has a strong punch in pass pro. He primarily lined up at guard in college, but he also saw time at center and left tackle. (Strange is expected to play center this week.) He has the tools to develop into a starter early in his career, making him a good Day 2 prospect. -- Muench

Travis Jones, DT, UConn (National)

Scouts Inc. ranking: 104

All-star contests aren't really the type of events where nose tackles normally stand out. But the 6-foot-3 and 330-pound 0-technique's value will probably be seen during the 11-on-11 team portions of practices. A wide-bodied player at the point of attack, Jones is a sturdy run defender who can clog the 'A' gaps. And as evidenced by 4.5 sacks last season, he also has some value as a pass-rusher, but he will need to continue to develop to be seen as an asset on passing downs. Even though it wasn't visible in the box score, Jones' performance in November against Clemson provided a snapshot of what he could become on the next level. He could sneak into the Day 2 conversation. -- Reid

Give us one prediction for Senior Bowl week

McShay: UNC quarterback Sam Howell will begin his ascent back up draft boards. This is a really good format for him to showcase his deep-ball accuracy and arm strength. Look for him to impress coaching staffs and show he can make the NFL-level throws. Howell has the tools, and the mechanics can be ironed out. If he stands out, the buzz will come. And as a bonus, I think Wyoming linebacker Chad Muma will leave his mark. He's under the radar right now, but he flies around the field and is a great tackler. No one is really talking about him, but I think Muma could be a second-round pick.

Muench: I'm already on record saying that this tight end class has a chance to be historic. So I think that group stands out this week. Colorado State's Trey McBride gets his chance to convince teams he's worth taking in the first round. Coastal Carolina's Isaiah Likely, Ohio State's Jeremy Ruckert, Iowa State's Charlie Kolar and Nevada 's Cole Turner all have Day 2 grades and the potential to develop into No. 1 or No. 2 tight ends early in their careers. UCLA's Greg Dulcich, SMU's Grant Calcaterra and San Diego State's Daniel Bellinger should be excellent Day 3 values.

Kiper: Remember the name Max Mitchell. The 6-foot-6 Louisiana offensive tackle really impressed in 2021, and I love his tape. My prediction is that he performs well against the big names in Mobile and cements himself in the Round 2 discussion for April's draft.

Reid: After a strong three days of practices, Malik Willis will create even more intrigue with the QB1 race. The Liberty QB's arm strength will shine, and his accuracy will improve throughout the week as he looks competent handling an NFL playbook and reads despite an unfamiliar surrounding cast. Multiple scouts I have spoken to believe he has the highest ceiling and most high-end traits of any of the signal-callers in this class, but patience will be needed. He's still a raw prospect, but the upside could persuade a team into selecting him in the first round. A good showing during the week will help him tremendously, and yes, he could even end up the first QB drafted.

Espn+, skipping the QB stuff since we aren’t going there:

Biggest standouts from Day 1

Jermaine Johnson II, DE, Florida State (American)

Scouts Inc. ranking: 49

Simply put, Johnson put on a show and was the best player Tuesday, regardless of team. Showing off his mobility, power and vast repertoire of moves, he frequently flashed throughout each portion of practice. A spin move on Kentucky tackle Darian Kinnard during the one-on-one part of practice was only the start of the continued success for him. His shock and shed strength at the point of attack was evident, and he routinely continued to show up in the backfield.

Practice ended with a highly competitive competition between him and Kinnard, where the two battled back and forth. Johnson won the first two reps, and Kinnard regained the lead after the last rep, which resulted in pushups for the defense. These types of things help scouts tell which players rise to the occasion and compete, and Johnson passed the test with flying colors during Day 1.

Zion Johnson, C/G, Boston College (National)

Scouts Inc. ranking: 40

Johnson was rock-solid on nearly every snap and was the most impressive prospect of the National team practice. He took reps at center and at left guard during the team portion and opened up multiple lanes on explosive runs. He had never played center before, but you couldn't tell. Johnson's strength was evident during the one-on-one sessions against the defensive line, and his best reps of the day came on his first two. Besides slipping and whiffing during his second set of reps in that period, he won every matchup of the day.

In a class that lacks depth along the interior offensive line, if Johnson repeats his performance from the first day, he could move into the Round 1 discussion. An extra factor that was noteworthy about Johnson is that he was the only offensive lineman from the National team to stay after practice as he continued to work on his initial steps and pass sets. Knowing that he had never snapped as a center, he worked with quarterback Malik Willis (Liberty) before the next practice session to get a little extra work in.

Cole Strange, C/G, Chattanooga (National)

Scouts Inc. ranking: 100

With small-school prospects, these are the first two questions evaluators want answered: Do they look like they belong, and how do they adjust to the speed of the game? Strange wasted little time checking both of those boxes as he displayed outstanding leverage, power and lower-half balance. Playing exclusively at center, he called out protections by pointing to various linebackers while also showing that he had full autonomy of pointing his teammates into the right direction in the run game.

During the earlier portions of practice, his one-on-one battles against Perrion Winfrey (Oklahoma) were of note. Strange held his ground and stonewalled Winfrey on multiple occasions. In the past, we've seen small-school offensive linemen such as Quinn Meinerz and Ali Marpet rise to become Day 2 selections, and Strange made a strong case to be next.

Christian Watson, WR, North Dakota State (National)

Scouts Inc. ranking: 253

Watson caught everything thrown his way Tuesday. As he showed on tape, the 6-foot-4 receiver has a wide catch radius that spans well outside of his body frame. Even though passes were all over the place as the quarterbacks and receivers attempted to get down their timing, it didn't matter to Watson.

A long strider with above average top-end speed, he raced past defenders on multiple occasions. Watson is a big target with strong hands, and he played fast throughout the entirety of practice, snatching every pass out of the air with confidence before displaying his catch-and-run ability.

Perrion Winfrey, DT, Oklahoma (National)

Scouts Inc. ranking: 7

Winfrey had some hype coming into the 2021 season, but he was inconsistent. One attribute that stayed intact was his explosiveness, which he showed Tuesday. Winfrey's up-field urgency helped him stand out, and he had multiple plays in which he had created tackle-for-loss opportunities in the backfield.

Winfrey also took on double-teams with success, and his best period came during the first portion of 11-on-11 when he split a double-team and finished with a tackle at the line of scrimmage.

Devonte Wyatt, DT, Georgia (American)

Scouts Inc. ranking: 30

With a quick first step and urgency out of the starting blocks, Wyatt's acceleration and ability to constantly be the aggressor showed up often. No. 95 in black often found himself in the other team's backfield Tuesday. Wyatt's ascending play continued through the first portion of practice and carried over into the team drills. A true penetrator as a 3-technique, he's a player to watch throughout the week.

Travis Jones, DT, UConn (American)

Scouts Inc. ranking: 104

We highlighted Jones as a sleeper who could help himself with a strong performance in Mobile, and the nose tackle had a solid first day. He showed plenty of juice as a pass-rusher and immovable object in the A-gaps against the run. With a few more big performances this week, he could leave town as a potential late-Day 2 draft selection. At 6-foot-4 and 328 pounds, he's a true 0-technique who has plenty of up-the-field liveliness at the position.

Quick-hitters from Day 1

Nevada's Romeo Doubs had a standout day. He is efficient getting in and out of his breaks, and he wastes little time with getting up the field after the catch. Doubs has easy speed and blew by defensive backs throughout the day. He caught my eye on multiple occasions.

Colorado State tight end Trey McBride caught what seemed like everything thrown in his direction. What was most impressive about him was his ability to shake off would-be tacklers and gain yards after the catch. His performance matched what was on his tape.

Arizona State running back Rachaad White was very smooth in all aspects Tuesday. He's a decisive runner who presses the line but can also one-cut and get vertical in an instant. White also caught punts before practice.

Playing on his home turf inside of Hancock Whitney Stadium, South Alabama receiver Jalen Tolbert had multiple moments when he stood out. He had strong hands at the catch point and towered over cornerbacks to haul in contested catches.

Roger McCreary spent a lot of time at nickel during the first day of practices. He primarily played outside cornerback during his time at Auburn, but he has the versatility to cross-train at both throughout the week.

I came away impressed with UTSA cornerback Tariq Woolen. A converted receiver, he still shows raw moments with his technique, but during the one-on-one portion of practice, he battled back and forth with Tennessee receiver Velus Jones Jr. Woolen was patient, and on one rep, he was able to use his length to sit and jam Jones at the line of scrimmage. That sent the American team defensive back group into a frenzy of cheers and high-fives.

The American team -- coached by the Detroit Lions -- began practice with a perimeter screen drill, which forces wide receivers and defensive backs to engage and win on the perimeter. That can help Lions coach Dan Campbell and his staff determine the competitive drive of certain prospects.

Running backs Dameon Pierce (Florida) and D'Vonte Price (Florida International) both had explosive runs during the final team period of practice. Both strong runners, they burst through the first level with ease for the two best plays during that period.

Matt Miller's notebook from day 1:

Mobile, Ala. — Day 1 of the 2022 Senior Bowl was a perfect day for football with temperatures in the mid-60’s, a solid breeze and just enough sun peeking through the clouds to leave your writer sunburnt. It was also a perfect day for several prospects who confirmed what we saw on tape and a few who impressed with their ability in either drills or team portions of the practices.

The National team, coached by the New York Jets, took the field first and all eyes were on quarterbacks Kenny Pickett (Pitt), Carson Strong (Nevada) and Desmond Ridder (Cincinnati). In today’s Notebook, we’ll give our quick scouting notes on all of the quarterbacks as well as the biggest winners of the day.

Let’s get into it.

Winner: Kenny Pickett, Pitt

When I first started evaluating players, one thing a GM at the time told me was that “good players should look great in Mobile”. That sticks with me every year. Good players—those with first round grades—should look like it down here. Kenny Pickett looked like a good player in the first practice—a situation that can sometimes be tough for quarterbacks as they’re working on timing and chemistry with new receivers.

Pickett’s arm strength, delivery and the poise he plays with all stood out during the two hour practice. I believe he’s on his way to cementing his status as the top quarterback in this class.

Winner: Jermaine Johnson II, FSU

The former Georgia pass-rusher was dominant in practices, often working over offensive tackles that scouts have top 50 grades on. Johnson’s power and technique were the eye-opening traits, but his speed and first-step quickness looked better in person than on tape.

That’s crucial for Johnson, who some scouts have knocked due to limited perceived speed. Another day like today—and pass-rushers usually improve throughout the week as they settle in—and Johnson will leave with first-round grades across the board.

Scouting Notes:

I’ve seen and heard a lot of praise for Liberty quarterback Malik Willis, but I didn’t see that on the field. Evaluating is a “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” situation, so I’m not saying those folks who are praising Willis are wrong, but rather we might be looking at different things. His arm strength, throwing motion and velocity are stand-out traits. They’re the best of anyone here. But his accuracy was way off at times. Of course, that could be dialed in by Day 2 as he’s more comfortable with the receivers and drills, but from Day 1 it was notable to me that he wasn’t as accurate as the other quarterbacks.

Sam Howell showed off his arm talent on Day 1, impressing with deep balls and strongly thrown out routes. It was windy by the time the American team took the field and Howell didn’t struggle at all to cut through the wind with his arm strength.

Western Kentucky quarterback Bailey Zappe might only measure a little over 6’0”, but he has an arm that allows him to throw the prettiest deep ball of any quarterback at the Senior Bowl. Zappe threw two gorgeous over the top vertical balls that were placed perfectly over the defender and into the receiver’s basket.

Fellow quarterbacks Carson Strong and Desmond Ridder failed to move the needle for me on Day 1. Strong showed off his big right arm and was a lively entertainer at practice, but his accuracy remains questionable. The same for Ridder, who had notable accuracy issues in his 2020 season. Ridder is arguably the most all-around solid quarterback outside of Pickett, but he didn’t make a lasting first impression during the two hour practice.

Miami (OH) pass-rusher Dominique Robinson caught my eyes constantly as I was trying to focus in on quarterbacks. During 11-on-11 drills, Robinson was working the National team offensive tackles showing length, power and quickness. A former wide receiver, Robinson is a player I’ll be watching closely on Day 2.

Few wide receivers made standout plays, but North Dakota State’s Christian Watson continues to impress me. In person, his ability to move so fluidly at 6’4” is very notable. He’s an easy mover with good body control but also the top-end speed to separate over the top.

My eyes were locked onto the quarterbacks and therefore the skill players on offense, but it was hard not to notice big performances from Logan Hall (DL-Houston), Zion Johnson (OG-Boston College), Jalen Pitre (S-Baylor), and Travis Jones (DL-UConn) during Day 1 practices.