Week 2: Bengals @ Bears Pregame Chatter

HoosierCat

Some interesting bits from Hobs:

For the first time in his life last Sunday, Burrow worked under center more than he did out of the shot gun formation and for the first time in 11 NFL games he threw less than 30 passes (27) while racking up his best passer rating (128.8).

The most visible change is putting Burrow under center 53 percent of the time last Sunday compared to about 20 percent last season. That set him up to throw play action passes (he sifted 7 of 9 for 96 yards on Sunday, according to Pro Football Focus) a third of the time.

Apparently this is Pollack's doing.

When Pollack returned to work with Callahan and Taylor after he was the line coach here in Marvin Lewis' last season in 2018, the Bengals turned to one of the NFL's most respected purveyors of the wide zone. Taylor knew he was organically changing his run game and made Pollack the run game coordinator.

"It's hard to run the ball in the wide zone without (going under center) and we're a wide zone team," Callahan said. "You have the (running) back tied in with the front and his footwork and the way the line moves, all those things, they're more effective and efficient under center. Your screens, your play actions and keepers.

I'm down with run-focused attack. Also of note:

Burrow plays his first NFL game with the silent count Sunday (1 p.m.-Cincinnati's Channel 19) at Chicago's Soldier Field 

Something to watch.

Waynes might just be the biggest FA bust in the history of the franchise. I have quit caring whether he ever plays or not. I just want them to get past this year, after which they can cut his ass for a mere $5 million in dead money and free up more than $10 million for Bates.

1 hour ago, HoosierCat said:

Waynes might just be the biggest FA bust in the history of the franchise. I have quit caring whether he ever plays or not. I just want them to get past this year, after which they can cut his ass for a mere $5 million in dead money and free up more than $10 million for Bates.

I keep reading mock drafts for 2022 that the Bengals will pick a Tackle in the first round.  I would bet a considerable amount of money (provided I did that sort of thing, which I don't) that they will take CB first.

12 minutes ago, Wraith said:

I keep reading mock drafts for 2022 that the Bengals will pick a Tackle in the first round.  I would bet a considerable amount of money (provided I did that sort of thing, which I don't) that they will take CB first.

Or safety if they let Bates walk (tho I think that if they can’t get a deal the tag is likely). 

9 hours ago, AMPHAR said:

The secret sauce in this game will be Boyd.

80+ yards for Boyd and Bengals by less than 10. 

This is Boyd's 100+ yard game and a TD.  Bengals should win easy, but they still need to learn how to put a team away.  So, another 1 score game, hopefully a win.