Fake Game #2: Bengals @ WFT

HoosierCat

15 hours ago, membengal said:

It was next to impossible for me to tell anything about the o-line from my vantage point. One observation and then some questions for you all:

1. The observation - in terms of pressure -WFT did, at least, NOT have any jailbreaks or obvious pressure on Allen when our #1 o-line was in and, for one drive, the WFT #1 d-line stayed in against our 2s and still, no pressure. To my eye, Jonah Willams did a great job against Chase Young in passing situations. Am I right in those obs?
2. Now, the questions - I think Carmen looked okay in power run blocks - did that get commented on or did you all see that too?
3. Felt like Fred Johnson did well when her came in, in terms of pass blocking, same question - did that get commented on or did you all see that too? I want to feel okay about swing tackle.
4. Was the holding call on Spain on the initial screen pass that might have jump started our offense legit? There was no replay in stadium and it apparently happened well into that play since the penalty just put them back where they started. Mostly curious because it was really far downfield for Spain to have gotten.

When the arm chair film watchers get to breaking down the film they should praise Carman on at least one play getting to second level and pancaking his man. 

IMO, he was impressive run blocking all night. 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, membengal said:

It was next to impossible for me to tell anything about the o-line from my vantage point. One observation and then some questions for you all:

1. The observation - in terms of pressure -WFT did, at least, NOT have any jailbreaks or obvious pressure on Allen when our #1 o-line was in and, for one drive, the WFT #1 d-line stayed in against our 2s and still, no pressure. To my eye, Jonah Willams did a great job against Chase Young in passing situations. Am I right in those obs?
2. Now, the questions - I think Carmen looked okay in power run blocks - did that get commented on or did you all see that too?
3. Felt like Fred Johnson did well when her came in, in terms of pass blocking, same question - did that get commented on or did you all see that too? I want to feel okay about swing tackle.
4. Was the holding call on Spain on the initial screen pass that might have jump started our offense legit? There was no replay in stadium and it apparently happened well into that play since the penalty just put them back where they started. Mostly curious because it was really far downfield for Spain to have gotten.

1. Yup.

2. Yup.

3. Yup.

4. was watching along on ace boogie’s livestream and he thought it was ticky tack.

• Thanks 1

Keep in mind I have not watched replays of any preseason games.   In years past the OL would get dominated everyday in camp practices.   Then pre season first quarter passes were quick drop and throws.

It doesn't really seem that's been the strategy early in these preseason games.   I don't know if there are any stats that will prove my observation out but it seems they aren't afraid to call pass plays that require more time to throw.

Run blocking early in games is a different story.   They've faced 2 fronts that were good a season ago.   New backs as well.

I think there is opportunity to be better run blocking but it was particularly hard this last game because 3rd down failures due to dropped passes or bad throws.

1 hour ago, AMPHAR said:

Keep in mind I have not watched replays of any preseason games.   In years past the OL would get dominated everyday in camp practices.   Then pre season first quarter passes were quick drop and throws.

It doesn't really seem that's been the strategy early in these preseason games.   I don't know if there are any stats that will prove my observation out but it seems they aren't afraid to call pass plays that require more time to throw.

Check mike’s Twitter feed.