The Kevin Clark article on Burrow

membengal

I am sure you all will see this article referenced today on various outlets but Kevin Clark from the Ringer was in town on his tour of camps and his piece is on Burrow and it is a cracking good read (lot of quotes and insight from Burrow):

A lot to react to and discuss, maybe , so a separate thread might be good…

give it a look:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/8/18/22630102/joe-burrow-bengals-nfl-2021-injury-recovery

So much to unpack - but let's start here - Burrow is SO cerebral and on top of things and unafraid to be open about the process that he is just very very unusual and refreshing. 

The rest of his offseason was not particularly packed with fun. Part of that was by design; part of that wasn’t. It has been nine months since he
tore his ACL and MCL, ending his Bengals rookie season. He brought his trainer with him on vacation. He was deeply serious. “Every workout to me
was life or death,” Burrow said. “Go in there, no matter what you’re feeling. Knee hurts, body hurts, mind not up to it—you’ve got to get the work
done. If you don’t get the work done, it’s not going to show up on the field. And I want it to show up on the field.”

Burrow, who 19 months ago completed the coolest and most efficient season in the history of college football at LSU, spent the past nine months
rebuilding himself. His injury occurred last November, in the midst of a miserable Bengals season that was buoyed only by the optimism around the
team’s rookie quarterback. But then the Bengals lost Burrow, and Burrow lost football. “I kind of had to figure out who I was without football for a
little bit,” Burrow told me last week. “Lying in bed, not being able to move without coming to pick my leg up and go to the bathroom. It wasn’t

very fun. But I think it’ll make me a better person and player.”

Burrow’s rebuilding continued in practice on a recent hot day in downtown Cincinnati. It has not been a flawless process. He trusts his knee and
trusts the work he’s put in, he said, to know whether it’s stable. But some problems extended beyond his own recovery. Cincinnati’s offense was
slow to develop early in training camp, something Burrow and Bengals coaches were open about but certainly not panicking over in early August.
“It was more so just getting the feeling back in the pocket. I’ve always been pretty good at feeling the space in the pocket and going where I
need to and feeling where the defenders are. And at the beginning of camp, it was kind of just a wall of people,” Burrow said. “I couldn’t really feel
who was who, where the pressure was coming from. Then, at the end of last week, it just kind of clicked for me. And now I’m playing well again,
back to my old self.”

There’s some nice parallelism between his incredulity at “talking head” commentary and what follows in the article. Sports media often lambasted the Bengals for running so many empty sets, but Burrow himself requested it and it aligned with his collegiate habits.

Cuts through a lot of bullshit, yes. Burrow is just different, man, he's just different. I am so glad he's here. The bet may not work out, but I would make the bet again 100 times out of 100. 

I mean, good lord. I am going to paste the quote again because...this is not normal. In an unusual and good way.

He brought his trainer with him on vacation. He was deeply serious. “Every workout to me was life or death,” Burrow said. “Go in there, no matter what you’re feeling. Knee hurts, body hurts, mind not up to it—you’ve got to get the work done. If you don’t get the work done, it’s not going to show up on the field. And I want it to show up on the field.”

25 minutes ago, Stripes said:

There’s some nice parallelism between his incredulity at “talking head” commentary and what follows in the article. Sports media often lambasted the Bengals for running so many empty sets, but Burrow himself requested it and it aligned with his collegiate habits.

I mean - the argument over Chase v Sewell was answered in these quotes...

“I like having as many routes available to me as possible. Five people out in the route just to stress the defense. Because what I’m good at is feeling space, feeling defenders, feeling where they’re supposed to go, feeling the zones that open up behind them,” Burrow explained. “So when there’s only one or two guys out in the routes, that’s not where I’m at my best.” 

Guys who get open quickly in favorable match-ups is what Burrow wants - and that is Chase's resume. 

It’s a fine article, but doesn’t really say anything that hasn’t already been said in other pieces all offseason. For those of you who enjoy it, by all means, do so, but I’m kind of done with this stuff. I don’t need any more fluff or raves about Burrow. All I want now is to see it on the field, which we hopefully will in a few short weeks.

4 minutes ago, HoosierCat said:

It’s a fine article, but doesn’t really say anything that hasn’t already been said in other pieces all offseason. For those of you who enjoy it, by all means, do so, but I’m kind of done with this stuff. I don’t need any more fluff or raves about Burrow. All I want now is to see it on the field, which we hopefully will in a few short weeks.

you are genuinely the wettest of blankets.